Botswana Route Suggestion- Help needed please

Default Botswana Route Suggestion- Help needed please

Hi there, hoping someone can help me. I am travelling to Botswana in June, we are needing help with the route from Kasane to Third Bridge Camp. I have heard the roads to the camp are quite risky when travelling through the reserve but the other way is very long. We are going to be in one vehicle (Ford Everest 3.2 diesel), we won't be pulling a trailer. Do you think we will be ok doing this route ? Not much experience with 4x4s either but planning to do an advanced training course before I go. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated as I have never been

Default Re: Botswana Route Suggestion- Help needed please

Hi Roxanne
    I assume it is 4x4. Get a T4A paper map, it gives you the distances as well as the expected travelling times. It is a long stretch for one day. You should not have any problems, other traffic on the road as well.

Thank you so much , yes it is 4x4 , I have just been concerned in terms of the conditions of the road , but hoping that due to it being dry season we will be ok and that we will manage to get there within 10 hours - thanks for the response

Sorry, but I don't think it is possible in one day. You will be arriving at 3rd Bridge well after dark which is not allowed.

Also June might be the dry season, but it the height of the annual flood. You will encounter watercrossings.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Lekhuba943 thank you. What would you suggest? Maybe to stop somewhere half way for the night then continue the route the next day . Didn't think it would be such a difficult task to plan this , I was wrong. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Sorry, but I don't think it is possible in one day. You will be arriving at 3rd Bridge well after dark which is not allowed.

Also June might be the dry season, but it the height of the annual flood. You will encounter watercrossings.
    I agree with the above. The days are short in June. Rather sleep over at Kazikini Community Camp, which is just after you turn off the Maun road towards the Moremi gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise one View Post
    Hi Roxanne
    I assume it is 4x4. Get a T4A paper map, it gives you the distances as well as the expected travelling times. It is a long stretch for one day. You should not have any problems, other traffic on the road as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by RodS View Post
    I agree with the above. The days are short in June. Rather sleep over at Kazikini Community Camp, which is just after you turn off the Maun road towards the Moremi gate.
    Hi Rods , I see Kaziikini campsite is quite a drive from South Gate ? Would we make it to the gate and to third bridge in a day if we left from Kaziikini early ? Your help is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by RoxanneDeVos View Post
    Lekhuba943 thank you. What would you suggest? Maybe to stop somewhere half way for the night then continue the route the next day . Didn't think it would be such a difficult task to plan this , I was wrong. 😂

It is not difficult to plan, you just need the right information.

I would suggest that you drive via tar and Nata to Maun and from there to 3rd Bridge. You are clearly only transiting to get to 3rd Bridge. In my mind there is no reason to pay the park fees and battle the roads just to get from A to B.

Kasane to Maun is an easy 600 km on mostly good tar. You can be in Maun by lunch time with a really early start from Kasane. Top up fuel and supplies and stay the night in Maun, leave the next morning to 3rd Bridge. Or you can even try and make Kaziikini that afternoon as well, but that might be pushing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    It is not difficult to plan, you just need the right information.

I would suggest that you drive via tar and Nata to Maun and from there to 3rd Bridge. You are clearly only transiting to get to 3rd Bridge. In my mind there is no reason to pay the park fees and battle the roads just to get from A to B.

Kasane to Maun is an easy 600 km on mostly good tar. You can be in Maun by lunch time with a really early start from Kasane. Top up fuel and supplies and stay the night in Maun, leave the next morning to 3rd Bridge. Or you can even try and make Kaziikini that afternoon as well, but that might be pushing it again.
    Thank you so much for this feedback, i am definitely going to stop in Maun , I'm going to add in one extra day to my trip for all the travelling so I at least have my full time to do everything I want to. Any nice place you could recommend to stay in Maun, anyways thank you for your advice

We stayed at Sitatunga camp, little bit outside of Maun. All campsites in Maun is much of a muchness, dusty and often crowded.

There are also Audi camp and Old Bridge backpackers, but we have not stayed at either recently.