Zim trip May 2018 - general & campsite advice

Talking Zim trip May 2018 - general & campsite advice

Hi everyone!

It’s my first time posting here, but found the community a few weeks ago and it’s been a brilliant help already.

We are an Aussie couple planning to drive around Zimbabwe in May this year, and have left the planning and booking of campsites a bit too late… so would love any specific advice you may have.

Some questions…

• Best places to camp enroute to Mana Pools from Jo’burg?
    • Campsites in Mana: we will be doing 2 nights at a lodge, but would like to add 3 nights camping. Is it worth splitting these in two places? (I’m a bit restless!!) Seems the campsites are changing all the time - which would you recommend?
    • I’ve heard the drive between Kariba and Hwange is a bit rough. Should it be avoided, or just taken slow? Is there anywhere worth staying/looking around en route?
    • Any recommendations for Hwange campsites?

Thanks in advance for any insights and help!!

Charlotte

Default Re: Zim trip May 2018 - general & campsite advice

Hello and welcome to the forum

Yes you are late with the bookings but you never know.
    Don t ask us for the best spots, see what s available at your dates and contact us for the best choice.

Campsites in Mana Pools dont change, maybe the numbers from the Nyamepi Campsites, but other wise no changes.

Road Mana / Hwange; there is lot to read on this forum; my last ride from Binga to Kariba is a good one ; http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...owerline-route

First start to see what park is your first choice qua park and call zimparks what s available on your dates, then see feather, we are all willing to help.

Good luck and enjoy planning
    Last edited by sylvia000; 2018/01/17 at 12:48 AM.

• Best places to camp enroute to Mana Pools from Jo’burg?
    • Malahapye - Itumela Lodge & Camp, Elephant Sands north of Francistown & Sinyati Lodge & Camp just south of Gazungulu

• Campsites in Mana: we will be doing 2 nights at a lodge, but would like to add 3 nights camping. Is it worth splitting these in two places? (I’m a bit restless!!) Seems the campsites are changing all the time - which would you recommend?
    • Nyamepi has been mentioned, but try to get at least one night at Chitakie Springs, going in or coming out of Mana Pools.

• I’ve heard the drive between Kariba and Hwange is a bit rough. Should it be avoided, or just taken slow? Is there anywhere worth staying/looking around en route?

Just take it slow where the conditions call for this. We also drove the power lines road, which is a short cut. We bush camped to and out of Matusadona.

• Any recommendations for Hwange campsites?
    • Ngweshla, Kennedy and the picnic sites are all great. You get a good rate as a walk in visitor, for what is available.
    • Enjoy

Thanks for your advice sylvia000 and haboob, very helpful!

Powerlines roads sounds like it could be a great option too.

I've been trying to get through to ZimParks for the last hour or so.. fingers crossed I can get through soon.

Will probably have followup questions, so will keep you posted.

Thanks again!!
    Charlotte