Kruger advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kruger advice

Default Kruger advice

We are a pair of devout bush lovers who are planning a long overdue visit to Kruger for the first time mid March to mid April (dates still to be confirmed).

We are doing a lot of research but it always helps to get advice from people who are in the know, especially as there are so many different areas in the park.

We also realize a lot will depend on available bookings due to the holidays during that time frame.

For us, the quieter and wilder the better! Which camps should we definitely not miss? We will mainly be camping, but if there's a tent camp or such that we absolutely must visit, we'd love to hear about it! Thinking of arriving south and moving north to cover as much as possible (we love driving and exploring)? Any trails we should try? Hides?

Also, what weather can we expect and should we take malaria tablets?

Any and all advice will be much appreciated!! Thank you!

Default Re: Kruger advice

DO NOT GO TO BALULE AND TZENDZE! There is no electricity. It is all there on their own "mo3r in gone" with no shops and restaurants or bright lights. The bush sounds keep you up at night...

On a serious note though for good camping I suggest the above two or Maroela. It can become very hot and you are not always guaranteed a shade spot.
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

You cannot go wrong with Satara.

Lower Sabie is almost always booked out, but try them.

We are going to Lower Sabie at the end of April and we booked last year when the booking opened.

Enjoy but beware of the monkeys and baboons whilst camping. They are a real pain in the butt.

Don't worry about malaria.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisPH View Post

We are going to Lower Sabie at the end of April and we booked last year when the booking opened.

Enjoy but beware of the monkeys and baboons whilst camping. They are a real pain in the butt.

I second the part of the baboons and monkeys. Cable tie everything shut if you can. Do not turn your back on food or anything remotely food like, not even for a second.

Rather seek the advise of a travel clinic with the Malaria aspect. You can never go wrong with prophylaxis...
    Last edited by New; 2018/01/16 at 10:12 AM. Reason: el spello complicatio....
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    DO NOT GO TO BALULE AND TZENDZE! There is no electricity. It is all there on their own "mo3r in gone" with no shops and restaurants or bright lights. The bush sounds keep you up at night...

On a serious note though for good camping I suggest the above two or Maroela. It can become very hot and you are not always guaranteed a shade spot.
    Sounds really uncivilised!!! Lol - just what we like!

Tsendze and Balule is best if you like quieter places.

On the Malaria tablets, why risk it by not taking them? There have been a marked increase in malaria cases over the past 12 months. Rather be safe.
    Stephan

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Definitely put Balule and Tzendze on the list.

Then also try and get a night in the Shipandani Hide. Its an experience you wont forget.

I know Satara was suggested, but, my personal opinion is its just too crowded, and not a nice campsite at all (just my personal opinion!). The game viewing in that area is bloody amazing, but I guess you cant have it all.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

We were there ( Maroela and Lower Sabie ) in November last year. Great camps but we had a mouse plague in Maroela and even worse in Lower Sabie None of the Sabie campsites were safe and you could hear ladies shrieking almost every night. The mice even ate holes in my tent sides. I had some Crazy stores mouse traps that I use to scare the monkeys and every night I would catch about 4-6 mice which I disposed of by throwing them some distance away from camp. Best time to have a quiet Kruger it seems is during November and February.

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post

Spot on.

I would rather camp at Shingwedzi, (rather than Satara, too big, and Lower Sabie, which is on the tourist route) if you have to add a fourth camp. But preferences differ
    LC 105 EFI
    BL 1003 Boskriek

Stay away from southern KNP, it's like a parking lot

Punda Maria is my favourite. Relatively quiet and has a laidback feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Stay away from southern KNP, it's like a parking lot
    Shhh man!

Do you want the parking lot to move to the north?
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Shhh man!

Do you want the parking lot to move to the north?
    The north is usually too hot and too rough for most visitors.

Yeah and there is nothing except mopanie bushes. No views, no lions, nothing.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

We are going mid May to mid June 2018.

We booked on the northern side Shingwedzi for a few days. After that moving down to the middle to Satara for a few days, and after that the balance will be in the south, Lower Sabie.

We have been doing this for a few years now. For us it is the best way to experience the whole park, from different scenery (vegetation) and of course game.

Just my 2c worth
    Marius Swart
    (Blackie)
    2010 Land Rover Freelander 2 Td4 SE
    1997 Opel Corsa Bakkie 1.3i

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisPH View Post

"Don't worry about malaria"? Ignore this piece of advice at your own peril. A number of people contracted malaria from a visit to the Park during August 2016 - supposedly the safest period at the end of winter!!

Yes, I know it is in the south (furthest south it seems) but how is Malelane?
    Jan
    Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit (2017)
    (Previously owned (Only the Zooks really matter): Jimny 2010, Jimny 2013)
    Beta 400rr Enduro
    Wife: Suzuki Vitara GL+
    (Previously:Suzuki Swift GLS, Suzuki SX4 GLX)
    KTM 150 xc

My front gate is only 32 k's from Numbi gate, but my last visit to southern Kruger was about 5 years ago. The frustration of seeing such bad behaviour by visitors in the south makes for an extremely unpleasant visit for me. Hence I only go north of Satara and preferably as far north as possible.
    Don't ever take a chance with Malaria, this summer has seen a big increase in occurences in the lowveld and although you might get away with it a few times rather be safe than dead.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

Bump

Mitsubishi Pajero Gen4 3.2 DiD SWB Auto - the Squeek, Rattle and Shudder Mobile (almost all fixed!)
    Goodyear Wrangler ATSA Tyres
    Stofpad4x4 50mm Spacer Lift
    Stofpad4x4 Front Bashplate
    Stofpad4x4 Rock Sliders
    Llumar Smash & Grab Window Tint
    Dual Battery

Always start at Punda down to Satara. Leave via Orpen gate. Never the south. The worst behavior is rangers from outside, then parks employees then the police.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast