Still possible to plan a trip to Mana for June/July 2018?

Default Still possible to plan a trip to Mana for June/July 2018?

Hello,

Would like to know if I am way too late to plan a trip to Mana and possibly Hwange for late June/early July 2018 (ZA school holidays) ? It would be for 2 people camping. Unfortunately it is probably the only time I could go this year. Thanks!

Default Re: Still possible to plan a trip to Mana for June/July 2018?

Only way to know for sure is to contact Zimparks directly. Personally I don't think it will be a problem, although you may only get Nyamepi in Mana. Hwange will have a much bigger selection available.

Elections are scheduled for Zim around that time, so that may deter some travellers from going and free up some space.

Thanks for the input RobH, more positive than I anticipated. Have already had 2 email requests to Zimparks sent back as undeliverable... will keep searching for a working address.

If you want to do the bookings by email it can take you weeks ( everytime waiting for a response etc.
    The only way to sort things out quickly is to call
    Last year I waited and emailed for 7 weeks when I was so frustrated I did not mind the costs for the phone call I called and everything was settled in 15 minutes

Good luck

Cnr Sandringham & Borrowdale Rd Botanical Gardens PO BOX CY140, Causeway, Harare Telephone: +263-4-706077/8-9 Gen. Enquiries: +263-4-707624-9 +263-4-792786-9 Email: [email protected] Facsimile: +263-4-793867
    Bulawayo Booking Office 15 Avenue,Main & Fort Street P.O.Box 2283, Bulawayo Telephone: +263-9-63646 Facsimile: +263-9-65592 Email: [email protected] Quick Contacts Problem Animal Control Hotline: Hunting Licenses: +263 734 584 384 Public Relations:+263 772 433901 Toll Free Numbers 0800 3222 344 0800 3222 347

WhatsApp, Christina on +263772432148
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

Thank you both for the contact details, it is a huge help.

Now to put together a proposed itinerary...

Keep in mind that most of the campsites are charged for six persons, whether one or six, except at Robins, Sinamatella, Main camp in Hwange and only a few sites in Nyamepi where they charge per person. Remember to include in application that you are SADC citizens, as we do get a "33 or 40 % discount". cant remember the exact discount.
    Rudy

No more SADC discounts, effective from beginning of the year.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mcowell For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the additional information, I did read that today that there is no longer a discount

According to the rates here:

http://zimparks.org/about-zimparks/tarrifs/

(not sure if it is currernt) Nyamepi has 2 prices, it looks like sites for 3 people or 6. Is the only difference in the size of the site? Are there 3 person sites directly on the river?

Riverfrontage campsites are double the cost of the campsite opposite .No issue with numbers of people on site .

Ok thanks, now I see "Exclusive" campsites for 172 USD, I think that is the riverfront ones? Yikes. The standard ones are 70 USD for up to 3 people, so even more than double.

No, exclusive campsites are private campsites and you are on your own, it s not the same as the communual Nyamepi site.
    Exclusive Campsite:
    There are a number of exclusive campsites situated along the Zambezi River. These camps are for the visitor who seeks solitude and who wants to truly experience the wildness and challenges of the bush. There is a braai stand at each site and rudimentary toilet. Water is collected from the river or the reception office. Visitors to these sites need to be fully self-equipped.
    The camps are only allowed 2 vehicles and 12 persons per stay. Water may be drawn from the river.
    Mucheni: 8 kilometres west of Nyamepi and has 4 secluded camp sites
    Nkupe: Just over 1 kilometre east of Nymepi and has 1 camp site
    Ndungu: Just east of the carpark area and has 2 campsites
    Gwaya: A short distance upstream from the lodges has 1 campsite, with cold-water shower, flush toilet and basin and a braai stand.
    Wild Exclusive Camp Sites: There are 2 completely wild camping sites located in the southern sector of the Park close to Chitake Spring, near the foothills of the Zambezi Escarpment. The check-in point for these camps is at Nyakasikana Gate. Both campsites are without any facilities and are accessible only with four-wheel drive vehicles.
    Chitake Camp 1 (Nzou): Located 150 metres downstream from the Chitake River crossing under a large Natal Mahogany near the river.
    Chitake Camp 2 (Shumba): Situated on top of a small hill near a number of baobab trees and has a magnificent view south to the escarpment, north to the far off Zambezi, east to Mangangai and west to the Rukomechi River. The camp is about 1 kilometre from the spring.

Ok thanks for the explanation. On the rates sheet it is:

Standard Campsite per site/night (Nyamepi)-For 3 people
    4,7,8,10,12,13,14,15,24,26,28 = 70.00

and

Standard Campsite per site/night other (Nyamepi) 6 people max = 115

Do you know the difference in these different standard sites?

Thanks so much everyone.
    Last edited by kellyee21; 2018/01/16 at 08:36 PM.

I found a map and it seems the 115 USD ones are the riverfront ones?

Is the extra cost worth it? I know, depends on the person... If we take a non-riverfront one can we still walk down to the river from our site or would that infringe on the other campers space? Thanks again for the help, really trying to get a handle on how much this is costing before I do a request.

Yes you can walk to the river side at places that are not occupied.
    During the day time you can drive everywhere and stop and picknick near the river
    In the evening if it s dark there is no difference the only one is; on the riverfront you don t have neighbours on the river side..
    It s a personal desicion, the same for us that we like to pay the big amount for the exclusive sites, we like to have solitude and privacy.

Good luck with the booking and have a good time

Thanks sylvia000!

No more discount might have the same effect as before the discount was implemented, a year and a half ago. Less SA selfdrive tourist , especially with regards to small groups, (2, very expensive). And yes, we selfdrive's from SA does have an effect on the tourist quantities, as per "Choice" from Zimparks. Sorry, did not want to hijack your thread. Rudy

It's an interesting point Rudy. On one hand, I want to say forget it, too expensive for us now. On the other, I say if I don't go now, it probably will never get any cheaper (unless they maybe reinstate the discount or I win the lottery, not sure which one is more likely).

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Roodbol View Post
    No more discount might have the same effect as before the discount was implemented, a year and a half ago. Less SA selfdrive tourist , especially with regards to small groups, (2, very expensive). And yes, we selfdrive's from SA does have an effect on the tourist quantities, as per "Choice" from Zimparks. Sorry, did not want to hijack your thread. Rudy
    We ( Internationals )allways pay the full 100 % maybe we can now get the discount for the next couple of years, would be nice ad fair

Sylvia, discount was only for approximately 15 months. Before that, we always paid full price, as you probably know, but having a Dutch pasport myself, I would not mind if overseas tourist get a discount. He He!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Rudy Roodbol For This Useful Post: