New G launched

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New G launched

Default New G launched

New G launched today.

Looks great and the 9g is going to be subliminal on G350 with added low range.

IFS is interesting,..

https://youtu.be/xgcRke4aZWU
    Last edited by ryanbe; 2018/02/24 at 04:40 PM.

Default New G - pathetic suspension

This is a sad day. The new G is no longer a real 4x4. Without a solid axle suspension, the articulation is pathetic - look at this!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-g-axle-articulation.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	474715

My old Mercedes Sedan has about as much articulation.
    Looks like Jeep Wrangler and Toyota Land Cruiser are the only two mainstream real 4x4s left that are being sold new.

I mean, isn't it enough that you can buy a GLA, GLC, GLE, or GLS SUV for the shopping malls... they had to take the one last, rugged 4x4 out of their range?!
    1984 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 416, 1990 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC, 2010 Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 (Sexy car for a sexy wife)

Default Re: New G launched

LOL, defintiely no longer a rock climber. Look at this gentle bump, maxing out the articulation:

Name:	new-g-gentle-hump.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	474716

Oh well. Kudos to those lucky ones who can buy a new one, for the tar and dirt roads.
    But I think the resale value of the outgoing generation has just received a... gentle bump...
    Last edited by Dawid Loubser; 2018/01/23 at 03:20 PM.
    1984 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 416, 1990 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC, 2010 Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 (Sexy car for a sexy wife)

Quote Originally Posted by Dawid Loubser View Post
    LOL, defintiely no longer a rock climber. Look at this gentle bump, maxing out the articulation:

Oh well. Kudos to those lucky ones who can buy a new one, for the tar and dirt roads.
    But I think the resale value of the outgoing generation has just received a... gentle bump...

I have to agree with you guys. G is supposed to be pro-off road. No need for road bias as they have vehicles meant for that, the GLS, GLE etc. I have to wonder what they are thinking. This they are just supposed to leave it as is or develop it for more hard core 4X4. I suppose money rules. Those rolling with it on the streets of LA complain of handling. I guess those are the voices they listened to.
    Talia

2017 Mercedes AMG GLE43 Coupe
    2015 Mercedes Benz C250
    2004 Mercedes Benz ML350
    1998 Mercedes Benz C200
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5Dci (Sold)

It looks like the illegitimate child of an unholy union between a Korando and a Niva.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Default Re: New G - pathetic suspension

This is a sad day. The new G is no longer a real 4x4. Without a solid axle suspension, the articulation is pathetic - look at this!

Name:	new-g-axle-articulation.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	474715
    Niks het verander nie. Die ou G het netso slegte artikulasie gehad, maar steeds was hy geag as die beste...

Suurdruiwe?
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Last in the '70s Johan. The only place where it's still top of the pile is price.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    Suurdruiwe?
    Definatief nie van my af nie... My Benz 4x4 se artikulasie is heel oraait.
    Is maar net jammer om te sien dat 'n maatskappy met 'n trotse geskiedenis van ingenieurswese nou re-branded Nissan bakkies verkoop, en IFS in hulle "beste" 4x4 sit...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dawid Loubser For This Useful Post:

I have loved the G wagon since I was a kid. And although I grew up in a landy household, and am still loyal to the brand, the G was the last car on my "realistic" dream cars list I need to still own, not sure I would want a new one now though, but let's wait and see.

That said, I had my reservations about indipendant suspension until the D3 and RRS came about, and that had changed my mind somewhat. I would assume the suspension on the new G will be a bit more sophisticated then that of your typical IFS bakkie? I gaurantee you, my D3 will out flex most double cabs (even modded ones)

On top of that, the G never had much flex to begin with, but with 3 diff locks, you don't really need flex.... Ask the cruiser boys, they can confirm this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RPiet For This Useful Post:

Ware woorde RPiet.

"On top of that, the G never had much flex to begin with, but with 3 diff locks, you don't really need flex.... Ask the cruiser boys, they can confirm this"
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkie View Post
    Last in the '70s Johan. The only place where it's still top of the pile is price.
    Dis waar Sakkie.

Sedert 1979 tot met 2016 het daar niks aan die basiese uitleg verander nie, net verfyning en luukse het bygekom.
    Dit terwyl andere oor die jare probeer uitbou/verbeter op die G en sommige dit dalk in ń mindere mate reg gekry het.
    Ongelukkig het die "andere" in die proses groter en brer geraak wat ek nie geniet nie i.e. Cruiser, Pajero, Jeep, ens. So het ek al in die rivier gevind dat die grotes moet pad oopkap om deur te gaan.

Die G kruip onder die vel in. As jy eers een gehad het...
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    I have loved the G wagon since I was a kid. And although I grew up in a landy household, and am still loyal to the brand, the G was the last car on my "realistic" dream cars list I need to still own, not sure I would want a new one now though, but let's wait and see.

That said, I had my reservations about indipendant suspension until the D3 and RRS came about, and that had changed my mind somewhat. I would assume the suspension on the new G will be a bit more sophisticated then that of your typical IFS bakkie? I gaurantee you, my D3 will out flex most double cabs (even modded ones)

On top of that, the G never had much flex to begin with, but with 3 diff locks, you don't really need flex.... Ask the cruiser boys, they can confirm this.
    As a previous loving owner to a D3, I agree with you in terms of it being *much* better than your typical IFS bakkie off-road. The suspension flex is pretty darn good.
    However, they manage to do this purely with the air suspension, and by raising the vehicle so much that you really don't have much suspension travel left at that point.

There is a difference between a vehicle that is just good off-road, and something that can competently traverse really large obstacles.
    The G almost fell into the latter category - but the new one will likely no longer, if those video screenshots are anything to go by.

I agree with what you say - that with difflocks, you don't need as much suspension travel.
    However, the best off roaders have both diff locks and great travel - yest, at the expense of on-road comfort and performance.
    I would have expected the new G to be the best off-road, and not just another pavement-traveler.

Long live Jeep Wranger and Toyota Land Cruiser 70-series it seems.
    How long until there are no new solid-front-axle 4x4s left?

I dont want to see. Like a wet rag but in that picture the articulation actually seems to be better then tee outgoing solid axle version. The original G wagon may have been solid axle front and rear, but it always had very very limited travel.

Hoeveel "flex" kan n short arm ifs h.....

Ek het eenkeer staan en kyk hoe n bandeplek n trollie jack (groot een) met blokke onder middel van G insit om sommer regter voor en agter kant gelyk te lig...
    Hy het 500mm gelig, toe staan die wiele nog steeds op grond...
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Reenen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post

Ek het eenkeer staan en kyk hoe n bandeplek n trollie jack (groot een) met blokke onder middel van G insit om sommer regter voor en agter kant gelyk te lig...
    Het ook so iets beleef met my GL, tegnikus het later gese "hau, hoe hoog gaan die deng"

"A day without laughter is a day wasted"
    M.Benz GL350CDi Be AMG AKA "worshond"
    KTM 1190R Adventure

Long live Jeep Wranger and Toyota Land Cruiser 70-series it seems.
    How long until there are no new solid-front-axle 4x4s left?
    good question

I'll have to save up for one of these then:

Last edited by jelo; 2018/01/26 at 07:35 AM.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post

Die een by bandeplek wat nie wou wiele van grond lig, was n 1980's soliede as een, nie die nuwerwetse ifs...
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Looks like Jeep Wrangler and Toyota Land Cruiser are the only two mainstream real 4x4s left that are being sold new.
    I have NEVER seen a Land Cruiser out perform any other double cab when it comes to 4x4 ability... In fact, I have witnessed the opposite quite often...

JEEP.... Well that's a complete different ball game

2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 6 Auto Diesel
    Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide

A bit off topic but nevertheless important info:

Received our G on Tuesday from MB East Rand after service. En route home the computer mentioned "Check oil level"
    Trudie collected the car and fortunately told me about the message.

Upon checking yesterday no oil was showing on the dipstick.

Called the Service dept and after investigating found the techie filled with 8L as most of these engines take, but the G350 bluetec takes 12.5L!!

They brought and topped up last night at 19h00.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast