SolidWorks sheet metal

Default SolidWorks sheet metal

Hi,

I'm busy trying to design rock sliders/side steps for my bakkie using Solid Works (I have access to 2017 and using other software therefore does not make much sense at the moment). It is a box design where currently it will consists of 4 main sheet metal parts, excl the mounting brackets and internal bracing. I understand that the design must be bendable and assembled with not much swearing ;-) I will at some stage send the files to the laser cutters and benders and ask if its doable. I have had some simple profiles manually bent in the sheet thickness I was thinking of using, so there were some points and things I learned.

I have tinkered before with some 2D & 3D CAD software and have made some sheet metal parts (design to laser cutting), but it had very simple geometries. I only recently started with Solid Works (valid licence), went on an intro course, so I am not a totally wet behind the ears but I'm no expert either.

There are a few issues I'm struggling with at the moment.... one is how to design complex geometry sheet metal parts and the other one is what tolerances and overlaps to use.

I will have it laser cut and bend and then I will assemble stig or tig weld it.... mig will probably be easier but I don't have access to a mig machine unless I pay somebody, but then that takes all the fun out of it.

I have tried to design it completely from the start as sheet metal parts, but the complex geometry is difficult.... it seems that fitting a plane through points etc can perhaps work, but then my selection of those points needs to be spot on and then how to join edges that will form a bend between those adjoining edges? The other and a lot easier approach seems to be to design a solid body and then convert it to sheet metal.

So, I designed the solid body and converted it to sheet metal.... what I don't know is, if and how to add rips between the different sheet metal parts as it does not look like the software does it automatically if I select the main parts to be converted individually. What seems that can work is to add rips from sketches when converting to sheet metal, but it does not seem to like 3D sketches or multiple sketches. I have also tried to add rips (using the rips tool) on the solid body, this currently looks like the most promising at the moment. Also, what should the overlap type be, the distance between the overlap edges and the overlap ratio.... my thinking is to use "open butt" with a 0.2 mm maybe up to 0.5 mm gap and a overlap ratio of 0.5. I know this will also depend on the laser cutting accuracy and the bending, I will make a section of the part that have a lot of the features/parts and assemble and stig/tig it and see where I need to refine.

So the question is, how to design a complex geometry sheet metal parts in Solid Work with rips etc. The design itself is not very complex but some of the geometries are IMO. The idea is to use Solid Works and design the different parts without the need to go afterwards and spend hours and hours to fix and make something work.... I know there will probably be some things that I will need to fine tune etc and spent a little time to fix, but I don't want to cut of 1 or 2 mm of sheet metal over a distance of 2 meters, this is what I want to avoid.

My approach has been to convert to sheet metal from the main solid body to the individual sheet metal parts... not very successful in getting all the rips. Converting the sheet metal part form the solid body as one sheet metal part is possible and very easy... no problem there, but it will not be possible to bend everything. The parts flattens without any problems (this is now with very large rip gaps, I'll need to play with the gaps). Is this the approach to take and then to add cutts here and how?

HELP PLEASE

Default Re: SolidWorks sheet metal

Here are a few pics of the solid body.

and yes I have a very short bakkie I made the part so short to begin with in order to make it easier to see and manipulate, I will correct the length dimension once I'm ready to tackle the next features.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iso.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	473309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	473310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	left.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	473311   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottom.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	473312  

Default Re: SolidWorks sheet metal

Anyone?