Leopard Incident- Matopi

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default Leopard Incident- Matopi

Hi,hope this isn't true,but I heard last night about a possible Leopard incident at or near Matopi whereby a woman had to have her leg amputated.As I said,i don't want to spread rumours,but if anyone can refute or substantiate this I think it's of great interest to us all.Anything we can do to prevent this happening again is of great importance to the future of the place and it's wildlife.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to floppy For This Useful Post:

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Default Re: Leopard Incident- Matopi

It was reported on Facebook.
    She didn't loose her leg luckily but the incident was scary.
    This leopard is apparently seen more than once very close to people.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3334...3889516997286/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

The link to Facebook does not not help much, one must join the group to see discussion. Can you perhaps copy and paste the incident report here?
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Facebook:

Was informed today that allegedly a woman was attacked in Matopi camp in Kgalagadi Gemsbok by a Leopard 5/6 Jan 2018.
    She was later taken to Nossob then to Twee Rivieren and then rushed to Upington. She lost lots of blood and apparently her leg was amputated

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Another post on Facebook:

As I said earlier, this leopard is on the way to being a maneater. Once they have the taste of human blood, they will keep coming back. Small children should in NO WISE be allowed to stay at that camp. Even translocation of the leopard may not help. There is a record in Kenya of one travelling 1100 km from it's point of release back to it's old territory. The only possibility is to trap it and translocate it to an enclosed park like Pilanssberg and hope it gives up harassing humans. A place with lots of warthogs

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

I do have more details, will post it here later.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Very disturbing and sad. Must be difficult for animals to always have people around and in their face. We will most likely never know what sparked this animal to do this. Maybe a build up of conflicting signals it had to deal with over the years - in its mind? Maybe not. Obviously something triggered it - and I am sure there will be many opinions / views. This incident brings back a memory that I will never forget. Saw a ytube clip of a leopard attacking a vehicle in Kruger - it would not give up and eventually a car road over it. It obviously had enough of whatever. I also recall a game warden telling me - they strongly suspected people may have feed a young starving leopard. He was very upset about this. My best wishes for a speedy recovery to the injured and luckily she was able to get medical evacuation - seems like quickly.
    "To look is one thing, to understand what what you see, is something else"

Amarok AUTO 4X4
    Out fitted Offroad Trailer

Corlette WesselsAdmin ∑ January 13 at 9:13pm

Was informed today that allegedly a woman was attacked in Matopi camp in Kgalagadi Gemsbok by a Leopard 5/6 Jan 2018.
    She was later taken to Nossob then to Twee Rivieren and then rushed to Upington. She lost lots of blood and apparently her leg was amputated.
    If anyone has more info on this incident please let us know or message me. Thank you
    Wessel Wessels

Amori Struwig
    She is in hospital in Cape Town. Her leg is not amputated. Cannot give you more information. Recovery will be a long process.

Corlette WesselsGroup Admin Thank you Amori. Was it a Leopard that attacked her?

Amori Struwig Yes. Unusual behavior though.

Corlette Wessels Good news her leg is not amputated ���� Hope she is better soon. Do you know if she was indeed attacked in her tent?

Amori Struwig Yes, she was.

Robin Marc Cheesman We have pictures of a leopard at matopi 1 from 26th December. The leopard walked around our tent all night and rubbed up against the tent. When we woke up around 5am we scanned the area and saw nothing. After putting the kettle on to boil, we suddenly spotted the leopard less than 3m away. Lying in a small patch of grass. It then stood up, walked away and lay down for the next 45minutes under a tree and watched us. When I spotted it right next to us it showed absolutely no fear of us. We worked in the bush for a long time and have never seen a leopard behave like this. Should any one want the pictures to ID the animal please contact me.

Oh no ... Please don't tell me this is true. Matopi #1 has had a leopard regularly ... It was with us on 1st January.

Sadly true story. Big male. Will try and check if he is on ID kit of KTP Leopard Project. If you have more photo’s would you mind posting them?

Corlette WesselsGroup Admin Not sure and first time ever I heard of a Leopard attacking a person inside a tent....but nature always surprise me.

Matthew Schurch is this normal behavior?

Matthew Schurch Wow...what a shocking incident.
    I really hope she is has a speedy recovery.

With regard to this behaviour it is certainly not normal, but there are reported incidents of animals interacting with people in tents, both zipped up and closed and open.

A number of years ago there was a story of some lion cubs playing around a tent at Rooiputs, apparently the tent got a bit of a tear and the people inside put their torch on to scare the lions away. This caused a larger male to investigate and he pushed his head into the tent.

There there was the incident when Cagn was found sleeping in the entrance to a tent also at Rooiputs. For the record she was not relocated by SANParks to my knowledge. But she did disappear not to long after this incident.

The exact circumstances surrounding these and this most recent incident are not clear so it is probably unwise to speculate too much about why the leopard did this.

I would like to request that anyone who has recently seen a leopard at Matopi camp to send an email to me at [email protected] with a brief description of the sighting along with the date and time. I will then check to see if it is the same leopard that is being seen at the camp and whether we know of him from either side of the park.

Corlette WesselsGroup Admin Shame Amori Struwig Think more important is how we make sure this does not happen again. If this Leopard is so relaxed around people it is not normal and Botswana Authorities must look into it so it does not happen again. Two days is long period with infection & pain and cannot even begin to think the pain not to mention trauma she went through. Please send her our well wishes.

Anne Rasa As I said earlier, this leopard is on the way to being a maneater. Once they have the taste of human blood, they will keep coming back. Small children should in NO WISE be allowed to stay at that camp. Even translocation of the leopard may not help. There is a record in Kenya of one travelling 1100 km from it's point of release back to it's old territory. The only possibility is to trap it and translocate it to an enclosed park like Pilanssberg and hope it gives up harassing humans. A place with lots of warthogs

Charmaine Pypers Venter Anna �� I spent time with this leopard ... It was not harassing us! It is a wild animal and its the people who are in THEIR territory. People who dont understand the bush should not camp there. God forbid humans are now going to interfere ... I wasn't at the incident but am bladdy confident the leopard was just behaving like a leopard does ... Its the humans who should stay away.

Anne Rasa It's all possible but anyone who knows Big Cats will tell you that leopards are the least trustworthy and, to my mind, the most dangerous.
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2018/01/15 at 12:15 PM.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

We were at Mabua in November 17, we met a group of 4 or 5 vehicles theguys said they were on their way to Matopi.
    2 days later when we exited towards Nossob, we saw them camping at Matopi, camp set up as if they would stay for a week.

I would not like to spend 2 or 3 nights at Matopi, because normally there's NOTHING.

I don't want to suspect this particular group, probably they didn't get other campsites,
    but it felt VERY strange ......

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

I have been on their FB group for quite some time. If you see how many times humans and cats there are in each other,s faces, it had to happen at some stage. Tragedy for both parties.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4
    RAV4 VX
    Armadillo Shack caravan

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Drik For This Useful Post:

Unfortunately that will not be the last time the leopard goes for a human. Once its in them you have a tenacious kitty with sharp edges that causes havoc.

...we will read about this cat later
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination of coronaviruses
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Engel For This Useful Post:

Sorry, I was supposed to have posted this last week, and it completely slipped my mind. It was sent to the admin email account.

On the night of the 4th of January my wife, myself and another two friends set up camp at Matopi 1 on the way to the SA side of the park.We were in two vehicles, ourselves in a ground tent the other vehicle a rooftop tent.

We ate dinner, built up the fire and burned our leftovers and trash. I went for a leak a little way from my vehicle and spotted a leopard lying in the road the road about 50m from camp. I called the others to come and have a look and we stood at my vehicle observing him. He paid us no attention and got up and started moving to our camp. We backed away to the other side of the camp to the other vehicle and him taking pictures and keeping a light trained on him. He moved around the camp lying down next to each vehicle, sniffing our chairs completely relaxed and paying us no mind. We had put the dishes in the back of the other vehicle so that there were an enticement for the animal.

At about 11pm we wanted to go too bed and I got in my vehicle and started it in the hope that he would take the hint and depart but he was completely unfazed and we guessed that he was habituated to humans which was saddening.

He moved off a little later clearly having lost interest in the camp site and went into the bush on the side he came from. We occasionally picked up the glint of his eyes about 200m off.

We decided that it should be safe enough to sleep in our tent as our understanding was that animals consider them to be inanimate structures with no connection to having us inside and that humans are not a food source for these animals. How wrong we were!!

At just after 12 I woke up to my wife screaming in terror with the leopard tearing into her leg trying to drag her out of the tent. I dived to the bottom of the tent and tried to find his eyes to get my fingers into him. At this point he let go and ran off.

I located my torch to assess the damage to her leg which was horrific. My wife started screaming that the leopard was back and I turned to find him stalking towards us about 10m away. I rushed out of the tent grabbed a spade and charged him him screaming as loudly as I could and he ran off with me in pursuit for about 100m.

By this stage my wife had managed to get herself to the vehicle which was about 5m from our tent.

My friend set up spots and kept an eye on him with our really powerful torch while I cleaned and dressed the wounds which were absolutely horrific with serious bleeding but I did not see any spurting of blood, just a steady very heavy flow.

After dressing and bandaging as best as I could we threw everything into our vehicles and each of us keeping watch for the other party. All of this time the leopard was moving around and never backing away.

So the drive from hell to Nossob began at 12:30 on the morning of the 5th began. Thanks to all the cretins who see fit to drive with over inflated tyres and not full 4 wheel drive engaged. My wife was in agony and bled through 3 pillows and duvet as I changed them every hour to try and assess blood loss. We arrived at Nossob to a locked gate and no medical facilities whatsoever and another 165km drive on sane and gravel to twee rivieren where we were finally met by an ambulance and another two and another 2 and 1/2 hour drive two Upington where thankfully there was an orthopaedic surgeon in theatre on another case when we arrived.

Miraculously though both tendons on either side of the artery were severely damaged the artery was unharmed. My wife is currently in hospital with a crushed heel requiring screws and severe wounding requiring plastic surgery.

Her leg is saved and there is no infection thanks be to God who saw us through this absolutely terrifying ordeal.

I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to the amazing doctor we met in the campsite in Nossob who redressed the wound and gave us advise on how to proceed. (The only person who happened to be awake in the entire campsite when I decided to go and wake the entire site to see if I could find a doctor!) The rangers were completely at a loss what to do.

As well as to the amazing staff and surgeon at Upington mediclinic. You will not find better at any of the major hospitals. (This comes from one of the top surgeons in Cape Town. High praise indeed.)

I believe that no ground tents should be allowed in the un fenced portion of any of the parks and that tyre pressures should be checked upon entrance. Had there been arterial bleeding the state of the road would have proved the death of my wife. Quite honestly I would push for baning of all wheel drive SUV vehicles as well as I believe these also are not up to the task of dealing with these roads and keeping them in decent state.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Sorry, I was supposed to have posted this last week, and it completely slipped my mind. It was sent to the admin email account.
    Thanks Dirk. What's not clear from the post is how the leopard got into the tent. Was it fully zipped up? If the leopard ripped open a fully closed tent that would be VERY concerning.
    2015 Land Rover Defender 110 (Sadly sold )
    2020 Land Rover Defender 110 (On order )
    Instagram: african_rover
    Twitter: african_rover

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulMark For This Useful Post:

My guess is the tent was fully zipped. With a leopard in close vicinity it would be strange to sleep with it unzipped.
    Very sad incident for the people involved and thanks to others feeding the leopard it will probably now be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
    My guess is the tent was fully zipped. With a leopard in close vicinity it would be strange to sleep with it unzipped.
    Very sad incident for the people involved and thanks to others feeding the leopard it will probably now be destroyed.
    Where did anyone say this leopard was fed by anyone?
    Corne

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Madota For This Useful Post:

Wow can't believe it, we were camped right across from the tent with the doctor at nossob. I walked with my wife to the bathrooms in the middle of the night and saw everyone in the tent and then later the lady who had been bitten been carried to the bathrooms. We had no clue at the time what was going on. Glad she got to the hospital.
    Last edited by whatyamacallit; 2018/01/15 at 03:15 PM.
    2012 Pajero Sport 3.2 A/T
    2020 Forester 2.0IS CVT
    EX: 2001 colt V6, 2010 jimny

Spent my younger year growing up in the KNP and there was an incident were a leopard killed a woman in the staff village. If you have a cat at home you will know they are fearless and conniving.

All the best and hope she has a speedy recovery.
    How can you be old and wise
    if you were never young and wild

2016 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT 4X4 Auto
    2015 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT Auto
    2015 Mini Countryman
    2016 Conqueror Companion 2B

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Grant1 For This Useful Post:

Just tell me what food give people for leopards? When you travel in that part space is very limited and how do you take "food" for leopards with you?

A Leopard is very very dangerous and we do not know if its maybe a old one? Remember a few years ago in Kuger Park a old male kill the driver of the nightdrive.

Luckely we stay in a camper.....

Sterkt aan die dame. Dit moes ongelooflik angsvol gewees het.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

31. The Following User Says Thank You to witklipbank For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    ..... tenacious kitty with sharp edges that causes havoc......
    We went hunting in Doma some years back. PH warned us to be vigil of the "200 stitches per second".
    You are lucky if you escape with stitches only. Not a good experience I am sure. Wish the lady a speedy recovery.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AntonN For This Useful Post:

Mitsubishi Pajero Gen4 3.2 DiD SWB Auto - the Squeek, Rattle and Shudder Mobile (almost all fixed!)
    Goodyear Wrangler ATSA Tyres
    Stofpad4x4 50mm Spacer Lift
    Stofpad4x4 Front Bashplate
    Stofpad4x4 Rock Sliders
    Llumar Smash & Grab Window Tint
    Dual Battery

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast