Prof's Rocky Thread - Page 6

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Prof's Rocky Thread

As I only had three rims and tyres (had to borrow one to tow home)
    I couldn't find a matching rim to go with the three.

Bought four steelies from Nitebob, here on the forum.

Then got myself some 30x9.5R15 Kumho muds.

...and I have three spares
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

What is the PCD of these? 5x139.7?

I want some nice alloys one day - the original steel wheels are not that nice and rather narrow
    NEW Project: Daihatsu ROCKY (Balboa) 4x4 2.8

Platkar Haaihoendaai i20 1.4

Hub size also important....110.6mm

Edit: Stealies I bought were 7J, 5x139.5mm PCD, Hub hole 110.6mm
    Last edited by Prof; 2019/10/22 at 06:34 AM.

Now it is time to spend some time on the interior...the mechanical's was most important. All was now fine on that front. I could drive around in our rural area to check if all worked well, hubs, the little stubby lever, etc.
    After oil seal change on the crank no discernible oil leaks anywhere.
    The plumbing to the long range tank was shot and sorted that.

This is what I got electrics wise when I received car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1158.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	208.6 KB 
ID:	545054

The car came without any keys and the ignition unit was grinded loose to release the steering lock. All the electric switches etc was in the glove compartment/cubby hole. Even the immobiliser unit was removed.
    I took out ignition key unit and took to locksmith. They made a set of keys for me. That I needed to do the mechanicals.

So of to auto electrician it went. I added a couple of rocker switches that they had to wire and also sort out the pump for the long range tank. They also do aircons so that got fixed at same time. (needed a new condensor. Golf 1 unit is cheapest replacement)

Electrics sorted time to look at interior.

All the door panels were in bad condition, but the covering was still salvageable.
    The panels in the back was totally shot. Previous owner must have had dogs in the back as there was lots of chewing all over, even on the edges of the front seats. Took out back seat as I wanted to use the space.
    Edit: The seats are leather...to be redone in the future

So I went to Kehls in Cape Town and bought new carpeting, and covering for the rear panels. The idea is to transfer the blue Rocky carpeting to the whitwe one and give wife some nice new carpeting

Cut new panels for front doors and the back units. In that process I allowed for the sound system I wanted to install. (The larger stereo for the 'future' whines and whistles)

Name:	IMG-20190113-WA0002.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	545057

Got these...

Name:	IMG-20190110-WA0005.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	545055 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20190113-WA0008.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	545056

The main speakers weighed 2.5kgs each
    Built in serious extra strengthening struts. Bought new clips from Wurth for panels. Also added sound deadening material against inside body panels. Some stick on sound dampening material and then the carpet material they use inside subwoofer enclosures. Did same in front doors.

Name:	IMG-20190113-WA0005.jpg 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	545058

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-10-22 17-51-43.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	257.2 KB 
ID:	545059
    Last edited by Prof; 2019/10/22 at 05:54 PM.

Nicely done

Now that all was done, need to get windscreen replaced. (story for another post)

We are here in the restoration...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-10-23 17-18-38.png 
Size:	234.0 KB 
ID:	545151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-10-23 17-19-00.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	545152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-10-23 17-19-21.png 
Size:	255.4 KB 
ID:	545153  

As I have another one, I made a copy set of number plates, and alternate licence disk between two vehicles. It was relatively safe in rural area.

Could even go play at Bonniedale....

Name:	IMG-20190420-WA0056.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	428.5 KB 
ID:	545154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20190422-WA0004.jpg 
Size:	387.0 KB 
ID:	545155  

I still had one stumbling block for a roadworthy...a new windscreen.

Enquired from all the major suppliers, no windscreen available at all. Daihatsu qouted me R10 000 but seems there is no stock either.

Guy at one scrapyard pointed me to person that cuts windscreens to size. Had to chat with him and told me he had done it to a Rocky before, but a cut windscreen tends to crack quite soon after fitment.

Decided to give it a go and then to fined one with same curve. He did a Nissan Navarra screen and I found the old Toyota Venture to be a near match on curve. Bought two from GrandMark for R1000.

He cut the first one slightly larger (for glue on fit instead of rubber). Small crack in dark section and when he layed it on vehicle to check size it cracked from top to bottom.
    He cut the next one and that cracked while cutting. Back to square one and put windscreen back with more cracks.

Windscreens can be found in Australia @ A$100 each. Wanted to get four and with with crate would have cost me R5 000. The shipping part put paid to that option. And then no guarantee they will get here in one piece.

Somebody pointed me to USG Auto Glass in East London. They manufacture windscreens and make moulds for windscreens. Contacted them and Pricing as follows: R12 000 +VAT for mould and R1 000+VAT per windscreen. They do run of ten screens and stick them into stock.
    But a proviso's was attached....as the Rocky is not a prevalent vehicle I had to buy all ten screens. And also five month leadtime. So ten would cost me R25 300.
    They would also need a sample with the curve intact. Cracks in screen was no issue.

Slept on that one, I needed four, one for each vehicle (blue one had two small cracks as well) I knew of two other people who needed windscreens, contacted them and asked if prepared to pay R3 500 for a screeen. Affirmative. Also keep in mind that if insured, insurance pays for replacement which fitment centre has to buy from me.

What the hell went for it. Had blue Rocky's screen taken out with care and had cracked cut one glued into place. Made crate for transport and off to EL I went. (wasn't gonna trust couriers) Left 04h00 and got there by 11h00. Got to see the operation.
    Paid the whole amount and I got bumped to first in the queue. Left there and was home @ 18h30 (1350km round trip)

Month later I received my ten screens. Delivered by their own truck. It does weekly run to Cape Town.
    Had it fitted promptly.

I sold one to guy to George and other got lift to PTA last week. Four more to sell.

The mould is kept at factory and you can order screens again, just have to take ten.

Roadworthy had some minor niggles, too soft hooter (bad connection on the day), had to get seat cover for torn cloth in seat and dog chew marks and an idler arm with too much play.

Took out and rebushed with some old mechanic trick and it was good to go.

So one year, four months later I had roadworthy vehicle with licence. I had transferred it to my name without RWC so fees were up to date.

Nice !

I am glad my rocky's windscreen is still in great shape (touch wood)

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    Nice !

I am glad my rocky's windscreen is still in great shape (touch wood)
    You know where to find one.

They are fairly upright and prone to chip from small stones.

Mine was fitted Wednesday, Thursday small chip from stone

On the drive to George on Friday I watched small crack grow. Had booking with CrackWize guy...he drilled small hole and did his magic. Now crack is not going anywhere.

...but I have spares for insurance claim. (Gonna have to wait a wee bit first)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post

Jimny het dieselfde probleem.
    Cobus
    2010 Jimny

Mine was fitted Wednesday, Thursday small chip from stone

On the drive to George on Friday I watched small crack grow. Had booking with CrackWize guy...he drilled small hole and did his magic. Now crack is not going anywhere.

...but I have spares for insurance claim. (Gonna have to wait a wee bit first)
    I'd keep an ad running on Gumtree with the windscreens, I'm pretty sure you'll get a fair amount of takers over a year.

This build has been quite a journey, thanks for sharing, having your windscreen made from scratch is no normal feat!

Ai Prof, jy maak my hart seer! Dit lyk baie goed.

Now that all was done, need to get windscreen replaced. (story for another post)

We are here in the restoration...

Mis die Ou Lady baie!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The third weekend of Sept we went to visit daughter in Hogsback. First long trip with 'The Bully'. Shakedown trip.

No issues and got here in good time.

Did the Hogsback 4x4 trail on Saturday. Sunday morning checked engine bay to see all ok. Low and behold a missing exhaust manifold stud. Some blow past gasket. Not much I could do till I get back home.
    Noted in post #92 about the stripped thread in the head.
    Got hold of a tinfoil baking tin and moulded it around the blow by as to prevent making whole area black. Fixed to bolts of engine lift point.

And did the trip back home with no further issues.

First thing I did is to have a flexible joint put into exhaust pipe between turbo and exh fixing point on gearbox. Thinking was to lessen vibration up to exhaust manifold.

Then off with the turbo and manifold. Took manifold for skim. Had aircon gas extracted as the two aircon pipes was in the way of trying to see if you could maybe do a helicoil fix. No go, not enough space against firewall to do that.
    I am not gonna take the head off as only 147 000km on the clock and engine going very well. Other alternative is to take engine out, but don't feel like that right now.

So boer maak 'n plan. Next to stud hole is the two bolts with the engine lifting hook. Manifold should be ok with five properly torqued studs and something to help the lost stud position.

Made Z shape bracket with angle iron, with holes for the two bolts. Long bolt into the open manifold hole. Two nuts to lock bolt and a nut to push up against the manifold.
    Then made manifold gaskets from Klingerit gasket material. No Daihatsu gaskets off the shelve. Two pieces for each port, some firegum in between and clamp between two pieces of wood overnight. Clean out the opening with sanding paper to clear out excess firegum (hardened somewhat)

Refit manifold and turbo. Torque to spec. and then tighten the nut on the bolt. Had to cut spanner in halve to work in the tight space against the firewall. Tightened nut against manifold till bracket started to bend. Some force required, use small monkey wrench to help.
    Some pressure is better than zero on the manifold. (don't expect it to last, but for now)

Took is for day trip to Gansbaai, Kleinmond and back (750km) yesterday. Loaded with stuff for delivery and a serious headwind. No problems. Not a wee bit of leak in sights and bracket holding up.

Now to see how long this will hold

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-10-28 11-00-18.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	380.5 KB 
ID:	545685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-10-28 11-00-41.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	357.1 KB 
ID:	545686  

Well engineered there Prof

Dis nou "boer maak 'n plan" op sy beste...
    The third weekend of Sept we went to visit daughter in Hogsback. First long trip with 'The Bully'. Shakedown trip.

No issues and got here in good time.

Did the Hogsback 4x4 trail on Saturday. Sunday morning checked engine bay to see all ok. Low and behold a missing exhaust manifold stud. Some blow past gasket. Not much I could do till I get back home.
    Noted in post #92 about the stripped thread in the head.
    Got hold of a tinfoil baking tin and moulded it around the blow by as to prevent making whole area black. Fixed to bolts of engine lift point.

And did the trip back home with no further issues.

First thing I did is to have a flexible joint put into exhaust pipe between turbo and exh fixing point on gearbox. Thinking was to lessen vibration up to exhaust manifold.

Then off with the turbo and manifold. Took manifold for skim. Had aircon gas extracted as the two aircon pipes was in the way of trying to see if you could maybe do a helicoil fix. No go, not enough space against firewall to do that.
    I am not gonna take the head off as only 147 000km on the clock and engine going very well. Other alternative is to take engine out, but don't feel like that right now.

So boer maak 'n plan. Next to stud hole is the two bolts with the engine lifting hook. Manifold should be ok with five properly torqued studs and something to help the lost stud position.

Made Z shape bracket with angle iron, with holes for the two bolts. Long bolt into the open manifold hole. Two nuts to lock bolt and a nut to push up against the manifold.
    Then made manifold gaskets from Klingerit gasket material. No Daihatsu gaskets off the shelve. Two pieces for each port, some firegum in between and clamp between two pieces of wood overnight. Clean out the opening with sanding paper to clear out excess firegum (hardened somewhat)

Refit manifold and turbo. Torque to spec. and then tighten the nut on the bolt. Had to cut spanner in halve to work in the tight space against the firewall. Tightened nut against manifold till bracket started to bend. Some force required, use small monkey wrench to help.
    Some pressure is better than zero on the manifold. (don't expect it to last, but for now)

Took is for day trip to Gansbaai, Kleinmond and back (750km) yesterday. Loaded with stuff for delivery and a serious headwind. No problems. Not a wee bit of leak in sights and bracket holding up.

Now to see how long this will hold

As I only had three rims and tyres (had to borrow one to tow home)
    I couldn't find a matching rim to go with the three.

Bought four steelies from Nitebob, here on the forum.

Then got myself some 30x9.5R15 Kumho muds.

...and I have three spares

Did you fit these on the standard 6J rims?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast