Engine Braking on A/T Ford Ranger

Default Engine Braking on A/T Ford Ranger

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of trading my current rig for a Ranger.

I am going to get a 3.2 A/T but have a question about the Engine breaking on this model, unlike my Hilux the ford ranger doesn't appear to have L1 - L4 Gears to limit you highest gear.

I often prefer using the engine breaking on "steepish" but not technical descents for a smoother more controlled ride down, the Ford has the hill decent but its seems like something you would only use for really technical descents where low range may be required?

Its the same situation in limiting the highest gear when going up steep climbs particularly in dunes...

Can anyone comment on how to get "Engine Braking" with the A/T Ranger or limit gears?

Lol or is the car just so awesome that you don't need it?

Default Re: Engine Braking on A/T Ford Ranger

Hill descent control can be used with high range, in fact that is what it was designed for imho
    I have never used hdc when in low range, not necessary
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

Put the box is Sport and select the gear that will fit your speed/RPM... so maklik soos dit...
    TDI
    Boskriek 814
    Dries de Kock

Quote Originally Posted by kadafi View Post
    Put the box is Sport and select the gear that will fit your speed/RPM... so maklik soos dit...
    OH right that's the +s- marking on the shifter, was wondering what that was when I test drove the car this morning!

OK cool and this will work for smashing up the dunes, and then use hill decent in 4H when doing steep non technical descents is also OK.

Does using throttle or break cancel the speed selected from ur cruise control buttons in hill descent mode?

Quote Originally Posted by gmiantor View Post
    OH right that's the +s- marking on the shifter, was wondering what that was when I test drove the car this morning!

OK cool and this will work for smashing up the dunes, and then use hill decent in 4H when doing steep non technical descents is also OK.

Does using throttle or break cancel the speed selected from ur cruise control buttons in hill descent mode?
    Just remember, once you select S and use the box manually the box stay in manual, you will have to push the gear lever back to normal operation before the box will go back to auto, should you select S again you can leave the box in S and enjoy the dune driving..I never use the box in manual. Hill decent speed can be controlled with the speed control button up or down. I have never apply brakes in hill decent mode but I don't think it will disengage the hill decent if you apply brakes. S is best for towing a caravan or trailer, it keeps the box cool. Selecting HR is on the fly (cant remember the max speed but will check the book)...selecting LR you will have to stop the car and remember, to disengage LR you have to put the box is Neutral..
    TDI
    Boskriek 814
    Dries de Kock

Quote Originally Posted by kadafi View Post
    Just remember, once you select S and use the box manually the box stay in manual, you will have to push the gear lever back to normal operation before the box will go back to auto, should you select S again you can leave the box in S and enjoy the dune driving..I never use the box in manual. Hill decent speed can be controlled with the speed control button up or down. I have never apply brakes in hill decent mode but I don't think it will disengage the hill decent if you apply brakes. S is best for towing a caravan or trailer, it keeps the box cool. Selecting HR is on the fly (cant remember the max speed but will check the book)...selecting LR you will have to stop the car and remember, to disengage LR you have to put the box is Neutral..
    Thanks for the info guys!

Also found this useful link for prospective buyers, explains it nicely:
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/88...page=96#manual

I,ve got 3.2 4x4 auto 2013 with 107 000km. That gearbox is a ZF gearbox built by Ford, very clever. For engine braking I found best is select S with speedocruise and work like a dream . For offroad I use hill decent control work just as good. Did 4x4 route rating of certain obstacles 4-5 hardly use brakes on steep decents. Was in Lesotho at -13 in morning let engine warm up properly but gearbox not moving so heat built up. When start driving it didnít want to chance up for about 5km after that normal again.

Another method to reduce speed on technical downhills is to switch on the air conditioner. This draws a little more power out of the engine. On the face lift rangers not possible as these now have electric run air con system.
    How can you be old and wise
    if you were never young and wild

2016 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT 4X4 Auto
    2015 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT Auto
    2015 Mini Countryman
    2016 Conqueror Companion 2B

Quote Originally Posted by Grant1 View Post
    Another method to reduce speed on technical downhills is to switch on the air conditioner. This draws a little more power out of the engine. On the face lift rangers not possible as these now have electric run air con system.
    This was my full on air brake popping the parachute method in my first car, Toyota conquest, took my 1300 from 300-0 in a sec

Quote Originally Posted by gmiantor View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of trading my current rig for a Ranger.

I am going to get a 3.2 A/T but have a question about the Engine breaking on this model, unlike my Hilux the ford ranger doesn't appear to have L1 - L4 Gears to limit you highest gear.

I often prefer using the engine breaking on "steepish" but not technical descents for a smoother more controlled ride down, the Ford has the hill decent but its seems like something you would only use for really technical descents where low range may be required?

Its the same situation in limiting the highest gear when going up steep climbs particularly in dunes...

Can anyone comment on how to get "Engine Braking" with the A/T Ranger or limit gears?

Lol or is the car just so awesome that you don't need it?
    Which Hilux are you talking about? The Auto Ranger gearbox has 3 modes. D is the normal drive mode, S is the sport drive mode, then you have a manual mode where you select which gear you want. You use the manual mode in offroad driving. Works well. The downhill assist is very good in the Ranger, really used in technical decents, however not used in really slow decents where you decide the speed via the brake.

Hi guys, apologies for hijacking the thread. I just got my first Ranger 3.2auto. The HDC works well on descent. What Iím finding is that once Iím done with a descent and drive off with the HDC still active the vehicle has substantially less power until I turn it off or it turns itself off at 60kph. Is this normal or should I return to the dealership?

Kind Regards

HDC can be used in both 4H and 4L.
    Once activated, system will maintain the vehicle speed at which HDC was activated......assuming traction with earth is good. On mud or ice gravity tends to take control of things!
    Speed can be controlled with cruise control.
    Speed can be further reduced by applying brakes manually. When releasing the brake pedal, the system will hold vehicle descent speed constant at the new speed.
    Similarly, speed can be increased using the accelerator.

Also note that when 4H or 4L is selected, the sensitivity of the accelerator pedal changes to improve drive ability. For example if you are crawling over rocky river bed. With a less sensitive accelerator pedal, you are able to achieve smoother operation because the movement of your foot on the pedal as the vehicle is being jerked around does not translate into major throttle changes.

This could also be perceive as reduction in power because more movement of the accelerator pedal is required to achieve the same response from the engine.
    Last edited by evascon1; 2018/03/09 at 09:43 AM.
    Evan
    Companion 2
    3.2 Everest XLT 4X4

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evascon1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by evascon1 View Post
    HDC can be used in both 4H and 4L.
    Once activated, system will maintain the vehicle speed at which HDC was activated......assuming traction with earth is good. On mud or ice gravity tends to take control of things!
    Speed can be controlled with cruise control.
    Speed can be further reduced by applying brakes manually. When releasing the brake pedal, the system will hold vehicle descent speed constant at the new speed.
    Similarly, speed can be increased using the accelerator.

Also note that when 4H or 4L is selected, the sensitivity of the accelerator pedal changes to improve drive ability. For example if you are crawling over rocky river bed. With a less sensitive accelerator pedal, you are able to achieve smoother operation because the movement of your foot on the pedal as the vehicle is being jerked around does not translate into major throttle changes.

This could also be perceive as reduction in power because more movement of the accelerator pedal is required to achieve the same response from the engine.
    Thanks for the explanation. This may be the case. Iím really trying to be careful before the dealer will refuse to fix any issues. Had a terrible experience with a Jeep (more like heep) a few years back.