Decent Cradle for Garmin 276Cx

Default Decent Cradle for Garmin 276Cx

Good morning,

I have the stock Garmin issued cradle for the 276Cx. Basically the same as on the Montana. For the rest of the fittings I make use of RAM-Mount products. Unfortunately it appears that RAM-Mounts only make provision for a cradle for the older 276C. I cannot see how the 276Cx would fit there.

The Garmin cradle is, in my humble opinion a bit of a pain. I have searched all over but cannot find a better cradle for the 276Cx specific.

Does anyone have a better solution available?

Please advise.
    Last edited by Kinnie; 2018/01/13 at 10:48 AM.

Default Re: Decent Cradle for Garmin 276Cx

Touratech

Thanks Dirtrob1.

Do you have such a cradle and what are your comments?

I found the Touratech cradle in my web searches but it appears to use the same Garmin cradle inside the lockable "jaws".

Regards

works on my offroad motorcycle so it should work on anything

Morning Dirtrob 1

Is there a possibility that you could post a few pics showing the 276Cx in the cradle? I had a look at the Touratech web-site (and their pictures/web clips) but would like to see how it looks from a user perspective.

Kind regards,

Kinnie

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnie View Post
    Good morning,

I have the stock Garmin issued cradle for the 276Cx. Basically the same as on the Montana. For the rest of the fittings I make use of RAM-Mount products. Unfortunately it appears that RAM-Mounts only make provision for a cradle for the older 276C. I cannot see how the 276Cx would fit there.

The Garmin cradle is, in my humble opinion a bit of a pain. I have searched all over but cannot find a better cradle for the 276Cx specific.

Does anyone have a better solution available?

Please advise.
    I agree, the mount it comes with doesn't work for me. Assuming it's the same one, I didn't want to put screws into my dash, the only way to use that mount.

I ended up buying a RAM ball like this https://smile.amazon.com/Contains-Un...76cx+ram+mount

You can unscrew the mount on the back of the cradle it comes with and screw that on. Then you can use a ram arm w/ suction cup, or whatever your preference is. This is not a perfect solution, I'm not really happy with it, but happy enough since I couldn't figure out anything else.

Mine is a ram suction cup, 6" ram arm and then the ball above attached to the stock cradle. I put this in the center of the window as low as I can get it. Since the 276cx is quite heavy the ram arm can't keep it suspended in mid air on bumpy roads, so it rests on the dash. This in turn causes chafe on the dash and you can see a little wear spot.

Like I said, not ideal, but it works. Sadly I don't have any pictures so I hope my description is enough. I'll be keen to hear if you find something better.

CalDriver,

I have a similar mixed RAM and Garmin setup. Using the same RAM ball mount you mentioned above. See the image below.

I would however prefer to have a RAM cradle as well. I have used quite a number of RAM cradles on various GPSr units in the past and have found them to be far superior to the Garmin supplied or recommended cradles.

Kind regards and greeting from Lubumbashi.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kinnie; 2018/01/19 at 07:56 AM.