Hukuntsi to Kaa Gate

Default Hukuntsi to Kaa Gate

We've booked a holiday to Kgalagadi in April. Our plan is to go from Mafikeng to Kang and then to Hukuntsi where we will get our last fuel.

I've got rather conflicting information on the road conditions from Hukuntsi to Kaa. Some say just a nice sandy track and others say they destroyed vehicle and caravan.

There are two routes. The southern most road is direct from Hukuntsi to Kaa gate via Zutswa pan. This is 137km.

The other road is via Masetleng pan Ngwatle pans.

Can anyone please advise on recent road conditions?

We are towing butthat is not an issue for me.
    Last edited by Ubbo; 2018/01/11 at 09:27 PM.
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

Default Re: Hukuntsi to Kaa Gate

Quote Originally Posted by Ubbo View Post
    We've booked a holiday to Kgalagadi in April. Our plan is to go from Mafikeng to Kang and then to Hukuntsi where we will get our last fuel.

I've got rather conflicting information on the road conditions from Hukuntsi to Kaa. Some say just a nice sandy track and others say they destroyed vehicle and caravan.

There are two routes. The southern most road is direct from Hukuntsi to Kaa gate via Zutswa pan. This is 137km. This is the best road. Sandy, but the best

The other road is via Masetleng pan Ngwatle pans. No. lots of bushes. not straight.

Can anyone please advise on recent road conditions?

We are towing butthat is not an issue for me.
    You will be fine with the road via Zutswa.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witklipbank For This Useful Post:

The road via Masetleng pan would be the most scenic, a beautiful area indeed. Spend a night or two at Masetleng pan if you can - absolutely no facilities so you'll need to be self-sufficient. Pay at the village on your way in.

Road is a sandy but good twee spoor - not sure of current condition though - I would think unchanged.
    Toyota Hilux 2.5 D4D SRX https://www.facebook.com/wild.safaris.5/

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Ghandi

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnT For This Useful Post:

Another option the follow:-

Hakuntsi then down to Mabuasehube. At the cutline you turn right - direction Kaa Gate. This part of the cutlinee is good but be aware of the long gras. Make sour you have good, very good seednets. the normal ones too small.

We do this part of the cutline in April 2017 and this is how it looks. But it is nice. And lots of place to bushcamp for one night on the cutline

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	april kgalagadi kaa jackspan 022.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	472972

Name:	jackspan rooiputs 2017 247.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	472973

Name:	jackspan rooiputs 2017 263.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	472974
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in

Sarel 0828209413

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witklipbank For This Useful Post:

At the end of June we drove from Polentswa to Ghanzi via Kaa Gate and Zutswa, the road/track was fine.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mcowell For This Useful Post:

In April 2016 drove from Mabua to Hukuntsi. Found plenty animals along the way. Will you find lion, hyena this area? Have heard of leopard been seen.
    Would there be a problem to wild camp more than one night along the cutline?
    2009 WK 5.7, OME 2" suspension, free flow no cats with harmonic chamber

Quote Originally Posted by witklipbank View Post
    You will be fine with the road via Zutswa.

Agree - relatively easy albeit slow - road via Zutswa. We towed as well. Not much game but beautiful scenery.
    "To look is one thing, to understand what what you see, is something else"

Amarok AUTO 4X4
    Out fitted Offroad Trailer

We have done Nossob to Ghanzi in one day November 2016, so cant comment about recent conditions. It was a long days driving, around 450km. We opted for the direct road between Kaa and Zutswha, not the cutline. Not too sandy, just nice comfortable driving. The road inside the park from Kaa is much worse and corrugated, we went for the normal road, not the one way tracks. You do pick up a few scratches on the side of the car, but I think if you go a bit slower you might be able to avoid the bushes. Not very wide track.

The worst part was about 5km of road just north of Nossob. It tried to shake the car to pieces, corrugations the size of a decent size West Coast molshoop. I have done that at around 20km/h, after we have turned right towards Kaa it was 40km/h everywhere.

We are also heading this way at the end of March. Want to spend two nights in the area before entering KTP at Kaa Gate.
    My questions as follows:
    Apparently one pays for camping at Name Pan etc. in Zutswa. Any idea what the prices are and can we pay in rand?
    We would like to drive the track to Peach Pan that turns off the Zutswa - Kaa Gate track. Anyone have the exact coordinates for this turn-off?
    Thanks in advance!

I camped a night in the Kaa Concession just before Jeff Morris pan (on the way to Kaa Gate) a few years ago (fantastic area)and have a similar trip planned for the end of August, this time Kang - Hukuntsi - Zutshwa - Mabuasehube. The plan once again is to camp a night in the Kaa and then head on to Mabua via the Bush/Peach/Twats/Small Kangwe track and then onto the cutline heading south east to Mabua. When I was last there I was unaware of the track to Peach etc. hence I did not notice any turn-off. The T4A map has the turnoff to Peach around 2 - 3 Km after Jeff Morris pan (Kaa Gate side) or about 35 Km after Zutshwa.
    I too would like to receive the co-ords of the Peach turn off and any info on the state of this track and info on good camp sites along the track?
    This area is KD2 (Kgalagadi District 2). Vehicle Permit is P50/vehicle to enter/transit the area and Camping fee is P100 pp payable at the (selfservice kiosk) in Zutshwa GPS: S24.13193 E21.24628 Payment in Rand equivalent shouldn't be a problem.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Fone; 2018/03/18 at 03:35 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fone For This Useful Post:

We had a fantastic time in the area. We spent 2 nights at Name pan, then went straight to Kaa gate. The turnoff to Peach is exactly where expected. Very clear track branching off. Unfortunately didn't have time to drive it as we had to get to Swartpan. P100 pp for camping at Name. Under 10 no charge. Peach pan camping expensive at P200 pppn. That's why rather stayed at Name for 2 nights. We had Pula so didn't ask about rand being accepted. Awesome area as you say. Had hyena walk 20m past camp at Name. Didn't even look at us. Saw more wildlife in this area than inside KTP. I'll be back!

Hi All, my first post on this site - the 4x4 is coming, i hope sooner than later - I plan to drive from Hukuntsi and Zutshwa (driving across Botswana from Gaberone side) and through the Kgalagadi to Twee Rivieren. I will be driving a 4x2 Toyota Condor, which has reasonable clearance, pulling a small trailer. I will be travelling beginning of May, and am basically looking for the least sandy route. I think it will be from Zutshwa to Kaa Gate and directly on to Kannagaus (2 way road). Wat se die kenners, am I crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by Paddio View Post
    Hi All, my first post on this site - the 4x4 is coming, i hope sooner than later - I plan to drive from Hukuntsi and Zutshwa (driving across Botswana from Gaberone side) and through the Kgalagadi to Twee Rivieren. I will be driving a 4x2 Toyota Condor, which has reasonable clearance, pulling a small trailer. I will be travelling beginning of May, and am basically looking for the least sandy route. I think it will be from Zutshwa to Kaa Gate and directly on to Kannagaus (2 way road). Wat se die kenners, am I crazy?
    Eish. There is LOTS AND LOTS of sand. Hope you make it. Ek sal nie daai deel ry as ek nie 4x4 het nie.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in

Sarel 0828209413

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witklipbank For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by witklipbank View Post
    Eish. There is LOTS AND LOTS of sand. Hope you make it. Ek sal nie daai deel ry as ek nie 4x4 het nie.
    I understand that the road from Hakuntsi to Zutswa is a nice hard gravel Road
    Can anyone comment how sandy are these two roads (May month) - in a 2x4 :
    • Zutshwa to Kaa Gate (I read its about 2 1/2 hrs).
    • Kaa Gate to Kannagaus (the 2 way kannagaus road)

thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Paddio View Post
    I understand that the road from Hakuntsi to Zutswa is a nice hard gravel Road
    Can anyone comment how sandy are these two roads (May month) - in a 2x4 :
    • Zutshwa to Kaa Gate (I read its about 2 1/2 hrs).
    • Kaa Gate to Kannagaus (the 2 way kannagaus road)

thanks in advance
    Zutshwa to Kaa is deep sand, also in May, I have done this in 4X4, I would not try it with a 2X4 as commented by others.

Kaa to Kannagaus is not that deep, but you have to do the stretch above first..... so no real chance, my 2 c worth....

Arrange yourself a good 4X4 with high clearance.....

Rik

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Rik For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Zutshwa to Kaa is deep sand, also in May, I have done this in 4X4, I would not try it with a 2X4 as commented by others.

Kaa to Kannagaus is not that deep, but you have to do the stretch above first..... so no real chance, my 2 c worth....

Arrange yourself a good 4X4 with high clearance.....

Rik
    thanks Rik, I'll take the advice, pity that that short section is going to scupper me, but also good that it keeps the area quiet and challenging. i'll be back with a 4x4!!