CADAC Gas in East Africa

Default CADAC Gas in East Africa

Hi there

We have encountered a big problem as we cannot fill our CADAC gas bottle in Tanzania anywhere, all their gas bottles have a different fitting in the top. Can anyone make a suggestion as to where we can fill them in Dar Es Salaam? We are on a 3 month trip in east Africa so this could be a big problem! We have tried the 2 places recommended on T4A but with no luck.

Thanks

Eve

Default Re: CADAC Gas in East Africa

Quote Originally Posted by evewoodhill View Post
    Hi there

We have encountered a big problem as we cannot fill our CADAC gas bottle in Tanzania anywhere, all their gas bottles have a different fitting in the top. Can anyone make a suggestion as to where we can fill them in Dar Es Salaam? We are on a 3 month trip in east Africa so this could be a big problem! We have tried the 2 places recommended on T4A but with no luck.

Thanks

Eve
    My advice would be to buy an East African bottle of gas and fitment. I have heard a rumour that you can fill a South African gas bottle in Nairobi, but cannot comment as we travel with the European fitment which is the same as the East African one.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    My advice would be to buy an East African bottle of gas and fitment. I have heard a rumour that you can fill a South African gas bottle in Nairobi, but cannot comment as we travel with the European fitment which is the same as the East African one.

Good luck!
    Not that this will help the OP, but...

Do you know what kind of thread is on the East African bottles? I think I read that the E. African bottles are the same thread as the European bottles, but I wonder what thread type/pitch it actually is. I have recollection, maybe from one of Stan Weakley's or Tony Weaver's posts, advising carrying a handful of adapters or pipe fittings to be able to fill when up in your neck of the woods. But knowing the actual thread type would make that much easier.

I undoubtably would select the wrong fittings I'm sure, so I haven't quite figured out our plan for gas. Either buy a bottle up there, or maybe fill in Zambia and we should be back south before we run out.

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    Not that this will help the OP, but...

Do you know what kind of thread is on the East African bottles? I think I read that the E. African bottles are the same thread as the European bottles, but I wonder what thread type/pitch it actually is. I have recollection, maybe from one of Stan Weakley's or Tony Weaver's posts, advising carrying a handful of adapters or pipe fittings to be able to fill when up in your neck of the woods. But knowing the actual thread type would make that much easier.

I undoubtably would select the wrong fittings I'm sure, so I haven't quite figured out our plan for gas. Either buy a bottle up there, or maybe fill in Zambia and we should be back south before we run out.
    All I can say is that our British bottle of gas was refilled in Addis Ababa, Nairobi, Maun, Harare - and it was successfully refilled in Cape Town although a different system. If you look at Camping Gaz fitments, these work perfectly well and are the European fitment. We too carried various adapters for our gas, but never used them as we always successfully had our British gas bottle refilled. But I know it is a problem for Saffers and their CADAC system. Hence me saying buy another bottle of gas and the adapter (and either ditch the CADAC bottle or carry it empty). It is not so much the problem of an adapter but the actual filling of the bottle and whether they have the regulators to attach to the bottle. The refilling in Harare was definitely not health and safety...

http://www.total.co.ke/service-stati...gaz-kenya.html

https://www.campingaz.com/uk/p-22852...r-1300-gh.aspx

and, for what it’s worth, this is the bottle we have had successfully refilled in various African countries.

https://www.calor.co.uk/shop/gas-bot...as-bottle.html
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2018/01/12 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    All I can say is that our British bottle of gas was refilled in Addis Ababa, Nairobi, Maun, Harare - and it was successfully refilled in Cape Town although a different system. If you look at Camping Gaz fitments, these work perfectly well and are the European fitment. We too carried various adapters for our gas, but never used them as we always successfully had our British gas bottle refilled. But I know it is a problem for Saffers and their CADAC system. Hence me saying buy another bottle of gas and the adapter (and either ditch the CADAC bottle or carry it empty). It is not so much the problem of an adapter but the actual filling of the bottle and whether they have the regulators to attach to the bottle. The refilling in Harare was definitely not health and safety...
    Thank you for all the info and links, hopefully I can figure something out with all of that. And if all else fails, no problem buying a local bottle and just storing the CADAC bottle till later. Except the new bottle won't fit in my fancy gas bottle holder!

And hopefully the OP sorted out their conundrum.

To reply to evewoodhill. Filling Cadac South African gas bottles are a problem in East Africa. As you have probably discovered the piping fitment into the gas bottle is a larger diameter. I had read somewhere that some travelers had found somewhere obscure in Dar where they managed to refill but did not record the info. At Manje Gas in Arusha (on the road to Moshe) they could refill for us but had to take the cylinder to their depot in the industrial area and could return it full the next day.

Also to reply to CalDriver, we carried the necessary diameter adapters to refill but the gas depots refused, claiming that it was unsafe. We eventually ended up buying an East African cylinder which was not too expensive. Empty ones can conveniently be exchanged for full ones as needed at fuel stations. Total seemed the most widespread brand but others were happy to exchange across brands.
    We refilled our Cadac Gas cylinder in Lusaka on the northern outskirts of the city center at the very beginning of the TanZam Highway (Great North Road -T1). This was at the Afrox depot
    "Immediately after the first traffic lights on the T1, one must take a turn to the left. This is just after the Ford Vehicle Center but we could not pick up the street name. Afrox is prominently branded just 100m down that road. The GPS points of its entrance are S 15 23.681 E 28 16.621". We were able to organize that the shuttle service at Jungle Junction in Nairobi took our Cadac cylinder to a special depot where it was refilled. JJs charges a fairly stiff fee for this and I do not know where they take the cylinders for refilling.

Hope this helps.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Also to reply to CalDriver, we carried the necessary diameter adapters to refill but the gas depots refused, claiming that it was unsafe. We eventually ended up buying an East African cylinder which was not too expensive. Empty ones can conveniently be exchanged for full ones as needed at fuel stations. Total seemed the most widespread brand but others were happy to exchange across brands.
    We refilled our Cadac Gas cylinder in Lusaka on the northern outskirts of the city center at the very beginning of the TanZam Highway (Great North Road -T1). This was at the Afrox depot
    "Immediately after the first traffic lights on the T1, one must take a turn to the left. This is just after the Ford Vehicle Center but we could not pick up the street name. Afrox is prominently branded just 100m down that road. The GPS points of its entrance are S 15 23.681 E 28 16.621". We were able to organize that the shuttle service at Jungle Junction in Nairobi took our Cadac cylinder to a special depot where it was refilled. JJs charges a fairly stiff fee for this and I do not know where they take the cylinders for refilling.

Hope this helps.
    This is very helpful, all this is much appreciated. I was thinking of filling up in Zambia at the last opportunity, which it sounds like might be Lusaka. Either way, I expect we'll end up purchasing an East African cylinder, no big deal, but we'll certainly keep our eyes open for opportunities to refill if able.

Hi all. There is a place in Mangochi in Malawi were they fill cadac bottles. Cant remember the name of the place but just ask around. It is a hardware store.
    2006 Land rover D3 tdv6 also drove to Kenya and back
    Ex 1996 Land Rover D1 v8 (drove to Kenya and back)
    Ex 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara v6
    Ex Subaru Forester xt

We were able to fill our 3 kg CADAC bottles at Manji's gas in Arusha. It was 35,000 shillings for 2 bottles, so not cheap but still cheaper than getting a new bottle and cooker. And either you must wait till the next morning or take it to their depot yourself the same day. Both Manji's gas and their depot are on ioverlander. They didn't bat an eye when we asked for the refill, didn't seem to be a big deal.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

I know of a place in Nairobi that fill and sell most of the Cadac range of products.
    I just haven't saved their contact details,but if you get hold of somebody from The Bundu Rovers Club In Kenya,they will help.
    Also you could get hold of a forum member,Adriaan(Rangerover),he has a gas shop and mentioned to me a few years ago that he can get a adapter....
    A legend in his own mind