The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fourways, Jhb
    Age
    67
    Posts
    768

    Default The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    Grab Bag. - Expect the unexpected
    Here's mine, and the background behind it.
    Share your ideas and contents, and show us yours, contribute ideas and changes.


    Following the tragic events unfolding here:
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...61#post3782861


    And in view of the fact that Julius Caesar and I (on separate occasions) have been in similar situations, and that Search shows no results on "Grab Bag", I thought it prudent to share my ideas and practical inputs on a Grab Bag - to me a now integral and indispensable, some may say paranoid, piece of equipment for each and every one of our overland trips.


    Concept:
    In any emergency, simply grab ONE bag, readily available, from your vehicle and run, then "regroup". review the situation, and survive.


    Scenarios:
    Stuck in clay on the edge of a pan in Botswana, solo, in a remote area, no vehicles expected for 7 days+ (our scenario, where we had to walk 25km); OR Fire caused by buildup of grass seeds on the exhaust: no time to react other than to grab your Grab Bag and watch your car burn: OR Visit to Kruger, take a "short" drive down a remote dirt track at 5pm and get bogged down; ....


    ... and so it goes on. This can happen all too easily, unexpectedly and quickly - even in not-so-remote places. - which is why I always wear comprehensive full-support sandals or boots whilst driving.


    The Grab Bag
    A simple kit bag, robust, with plenty of slots and pockets, well-planned and well loaded with critical gear.


    (Pics and Excel sheet of contents attached.)


    NB:
    Obviously the most important thing to load is water - as much as practical for the environment you're visiting.
    For each trip I tailor the contents to suit the locale and ambient conditions, be it the Eastern Cape mountain passes, CKGR, Gonarezhou, Botswana, Namibia etc. - all related too to the planned remoteness and expected level of "civilization" en route. For example on a specific trip you may elect not to carry a sat phone, more- or less cash, or include extra space-blankets and rain gear in the mountains in winter - not to mention small Gaz bottle, coffee, creamer and sugar - terrific for morale if stranded.


    Don't go OTT
    It's important not to go over the top in developing your Grab Bag. Keep it practical. By adding non-essentials you'll end up needing another vehicle to transport it.


    7 days
    I reckon the contents of my small bag will keep me and SWAMBO on the go for some 7 days - and fairly comfortably too.

    [EDIT: The burnt out vehicle is an example of an extreme situation - it's not mine !]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burntout4wd-goldcentralvictoria.com.au.jpg 
Views:	649 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	472379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grab Bag John Thome 20180107_204446.jpg 
Views:	736 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	472380  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JohnT; 2018/01/07 at 10:12 PM. Reason: burntout vehicle qualification
    Toyota Hilux 2.5 D4D SRX https://www.facebook.com/wild.safaris.5/

    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Ghandi

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    33
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Grab Bag. - Expect the unexpected
    Here's mine, and the background behind it.
    Share your ideas and contents, and show us yours, contribute ideas and changes.


    Following the tragic events unfolding here:
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...61#post3782861


    And in view of the fact that Julius Caesar and I (on separate occasions) have been in similar situations, and that Search shows no results on "Grab Bag", I thought it prudent to share my ideas and practical inputs on a Grab Bag - to me a now integral and indispensable, some may say paranoid, piece of equipment for each and every one of our overland trips.


    Concept:
    In any emergency, simply grab ONE bag, readily available, from your vehicle and run, then "regroup". review the situation, and survive.


    Scenarios:
    Stuck in clay on the edge of a pan in Botswana, solo, in a remote area, no vehicles expected for 7 days+ (our scenario, where we had to walk 25km); OR Fire caused by buildup of grass seeds on the exhaust: no time to react other than to grab your Grab Bag and watch your car burn: OR Visit to Kruger, take a "short" drive down a remote dirt track at 5pm and get bogged down; ....


    ... and so it goes on. This can happen all too easily, unexpectedly and quickly - even in not-so-remote places. - which is why I always wear comprehensive full-support sandals or boots whilst driving.


    The Grab Bag
    A simple kit bag, robust, with plenty of slots and pockets, well-planned and well loaded with critical gear.


    (Pics and Excel sheet of contents attached.)


    NB:
    Obviously the most important thing to load is water - as much as practical for the environment you're visiting.
    For each trip I tailor the contents to suit the locale and ambient conditions, be it the Eastern Cape mountain passes, CKGR, Gonarezhou, Botswana, Namibia etc. - all related too to the planned remoteness and expected level of "civilization" en route. For example on a specific trip you may elect not to carry a sat phone, more- or less cash, or include extra space-blankets and rain gear in the mountains in winter - not to mention small Gaz bottle, coffee, creamer and sugar - terrific for morale if stranded.


    Don't go OTT
    It's important not to go over the top in developing your Grab Bag. Keep it practical. By adding non-essentials you'll end up needing another vehicle to transport it.


    7 days
    I reckon the contents of my small bag will keep me and SWAMBO on the go for some 7 days - and fairly comfortably too.
    Very useful share this. Thank you mate!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bela Bela
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,153

    Default Re: The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    Thanks John,excellent idea. I have the content with mebut never thought of actually getting bag to put it in. Guess what ison my to do list?

    Thanks for sharing
    Tobie Oosthuizen
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS 4X4
    RSI canopy & Frontrunner Slimline roofrack


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wilderness
    Age
    57
    Posts
    4,148

    Default Re: The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    A compass - no batteries needed.
    Condoms- can be used to carry water/tourniquet/ elastics for catapult/hairband/ waterproof vessel etc.
    Strong large plastic bag
    Thin lightweight waterproof poncho/groundsheet-shelter/ something for the cold.
    Space blanket.
    1/2 roll toilet paper.
    A good strong knife or 2.
    If locally - 6 rounds spare ammo for each firearm.
    Mosquito repellant NB
    Last edited by Pieterk; 2018/01/07 at 10:30 PM.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    42
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    A compass - no batteries needed.
    Condoms- can be used to carry water/tourniquet/ elastics for catapult/hairband/ waterproof vessel etc.
    Strong large plastic bag
    Thin lightweight waterproof poncho/groundsheet-shelter/ something for the cold.
    Space blanket.
    1/2 roll toilet paper.
    A good strong knife or 2.
    If locally - 6 rounds spare ammo for each firearm.
    Mosquito repellant NB
    Nooooo.

    Condoms make terrible tourniquets! I would venture to say that they would be ineffective.

    There are proper tourniquets in the market. Rather get one of those. They have a wide contact area, as well as a reinforced windlass to tighten the tourniquet until blood flow stops completely. With a condom, you would firstly have a very narrow surface area, secondly no way of tightening it properly, and thirdly, it would probably just break when you try to tighten it to stop bleeding.

    Here are a few pics of a CAT tourniquet, which is one of the best available.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180115_092929.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	473254   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180115_092940.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	473255  
    Last edited by swimma; 2018/01/15 at 09:52 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    42
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    Also a proper first aid kit, with the essentials for serious injury/trauma, as well as minor cuts and scrapes.

    Things such as:

    Gloves
    Wound dressings in various sizes
    Space blanket
    Tourniquet
    Gauze for wound packing
    Plasters
    Antiseptic ointment
    Burnshield
    Micropore/Elastoplast roll

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Polokwane
    Age
    53
    Posts
    683

    Default Re: The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by swimma View Post
    Nooooo.

    Condoms make terrible tourniquets! I would venture to say that they would be ineffective.

    There are proper tourniquets in the market. Rather get one of those. They have a wide contact area, as well as a reinforced windlass to tighten the tourniquet until blood flow stops completely. With a condom, you would firstly have a very narrow surface area, secondly no way of tightening it properly, and thirdly, it would probably just break when you try to tighten it to stop bleeding.

    Here are a few pics of a CAT tourniquet, which is one of the best available.
    Please suggest a site or two form whom to order.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    42
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    Please suggest a site or two form whom to order.
    You can try www.meddev.co.za or www.tacticalquartermaster.co.za

    I've bought equipment from both of them, and I can only say good things about both of them. Craig from TacQM is a commercial member on this site.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa
    Posts
    2,739

    Default Re: The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    A compass - no batteries needed.
    Condoms- can be used to carry water/tourniquet/ elastics for catapult/hairband/ waterproof vessel etc.
    Strong large plastic bag
    Thin lightweight waterproof poncho/groundsheet-shelter/ something for the cold.
    Space blanket.
    1/2 roll toilet paper.
    A good strong knife or 2.
    If locally - 6 rounds spare ammo for each firearm.
    Mosquito repellant NB
    7 days with 1/2 roll of TP?
    No ways. Take 1

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    64
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    Great info and I dread Kola's situation - a few mates have been stuck in difficult areas after bike accidents; no fun at all.

    But something to consider - a list of what is in the bag, in the bag. You may forget, be in shock and forget, or someone else may have to use its contents.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Harties
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    Excellent, thanks.
    But protect the bag carefully.
    If swiped you're in the dwang.
    Last edited by PRA; 2018/01/07 at 10:22 PM.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    64
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    Excellent thread and thought provoking. A comment or two after looking what always goes on my bike and bicycle, usually in a well used Camelbak with 1, 2 or 3 litres of water (less for shorter bicycle rides):

    I think one needs 2 bags - local & trip (with passport etc etc). I try keep wallet and cell phone + passport if outside SA, in my pants pocket - zipped.

    Local needs less and possibly just document copies and a few things - 1st Aid kit etc.

    Possible additions: - Hiking advice is to use an old CD as a mirror - it's light; add sunscreen? spare batteries or a Power Bank? Hard copy of list of contacts & personal / allergies/ medical aid (ideally copy of card) etc / insurances / vehicle details / PIN numbers (suitably mixed up if needed?), map or copy of area travelled, the R500 in cash of different denominations? Spare glasses/sunglasses, Buff and surgical gloves, cable ties, black rubbish bag or two, duct tape, multi tool, stuff that can get damaged by water in zip loc bags (duh).

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Sinoville Pretoria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    765

    Default Re: The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    Thanks JohnT, my Grab Bag build starts today
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,729

    Default Re: The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    Passport/ID & drivers license. Credit Card.

    Doenst help you successfully escape the jungle and get stuck in the concrete jungle. No drivers and you cannot even rent a car to get home...
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Sinoville Pretoria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    765

    Default Re: The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    Quote Originally Posted by julius caesar View Post
    Thanks JohnT, my Grab Bag build starts today
    Damn,
    After 10 minutes of compiling list i need a backup vehicle to transport Grab Bag
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    37
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    Maybe certified copies of things like drivers license, passport etc as well?
    2007 Nissan Navara 2.5dCI Double Cab 4x4
    Safari Snorkel
    ARB Bumper
    Load Bin Lid
    Rear Drawer System
    Long Range Fuel Tank

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Cape Winelands
    Age
    64
    Posts
    94

    Default Re: The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    Gas Lighter
    Depending on the area:
    Army style mirror (you can also use an emergency blanket) for attracting aircraft attention
    Pepper Spray
    Pencil flare
    Water bottle

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Pinetown
    Age
    32
    Posts
    299

    Default Re: The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    Have had one for about 8 years now.

    Over time I've learned that I prefer to carry an EDC backpack, same concept but on a lighter scale built around urban escape and evasion (imagine a sudden riot or mob attack at your office, bag isn't gonna help in the car if you can't get to it) my bag is with me always.

    Gear list changes with seasons and locations.

    Pictured is my bag along with additional gear when going into the bush.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum


    2012 Hilux 2x4 D/L
    A few basic mods.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Pinetown
    Age
    32
    Posts
    299

    Default Re: The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    A correctly stocked IFAK is imperative. Things go south very fast and having one literally can be all that stands in the way of death.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum


    2012 Hilux 2x4 D/L
    A few basic mods.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,241

    Default The Grab Bag - an essential piece of overlanding equipment

    Seems like someone is still reading the forum...






    Link:
    https://youtu.be/xju0l0kfGu0
    Last edited by pantoffel; 2018/01/22 at 03:05 PM.


    Mitsubishi Pajero Gen4 3.2 DiD SWB Auto - the Squeek, Rattle and Shudder Mobile (almost all fixed!)
    Goodyear Wrangler ATSA Tyres
    Stofpad4x4 50mm Spacer Lift
    Stofpad4x4 Front Bashplate
    Stofpad4x4 Rock Sliders
    Llumar Smash & Grab Window Tint
    Dual Battery

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •