Self drive Botswana

Smile Self drive Botswana

Good evening,

After reading all the useful posts I decided to become a member and tap into your wisdom!

We are heading to Botswana in August and am trying to finalise our self-drive itinerary so that we can book the campsites as we hear they get booked up quickly. After reading many useful posts on this forum about the Kasane to Maun route we have a broad idea of what we'd like to do but am hoping you guys can help with a few final questions. We have the following in mind:

18-19 August: Arrive and spend 1.5 days in Victoria falls. Leave late afternoon to go to Kasane
    20th: In the morning get 4x4 and drive to Ihaha
    21st: Full day in Ihaha
    22nd: Drive to Savuti
    23rd: Full day in Savuti
    24-27th: Sleep in Kwhai, Xakanaxa and/or Third bridges. We would love to hear your views on which one is your favorite and whether we should stay multiple nights in one camp or spread over multiple camps. We would definitely like to do a mokoro tour.
    28th: drive to Maun and stay in Maun
    29th: drive to Nxai Pan in the morning and stay at Baines Boababs
    30th: Full day at Nxai Pan NP. Is it worth going all this way for one and a half day? Should I reduce Chobe/Moremi by one day to add here?
    30th: leave early morning to go back to Maun and fly to J-burg

I appreciate any feedback! Thanks a lot in advance.

Kind regards,
    Paul

Default Re: Self drive Botswana

You have to start finalising your itinerary quickly and book, as some of the places you mentioned above might be not available.

VW AMAROK BITURBO TDI 4MOTION

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the tip Pat n Wolf. Will try to get it finalised asap! Thought I was all right being 8 months in advance..

A few points that I would suggest (although there are people who have traveled a lot more through Botswana).

1. Make sure that you do a sunset cruise in Kasane, so spend at least one night there before going to Ihaha. Yes, the river is a bit crowded but it remains an experience if you have not done it before.

2. We stayed at Xaka and Dizhana, both were really nice. From Xaka, I can recommed doing a cruise as well, but do a full day one that takes you deep into the delta.

3. We stayed at Baines and it as a magnificent sight to behold. However we did not see any game on the (very bad!) road in, and to be honest we did not drive up to the other camp. It is worth going to baines, but after Chobe and Moremi, in August, you need to understand that you will be going to Nxai for the scenery and not so much the wildlife. IMO, still worth a visit.
    Stephan
    "All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys - just checked on Ihaha, Savuti, Third bridge and Baines Baobabs - all full for the entire month of August. Guess I have to postpone my Botswana trip to next year... And start booking now!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulTutein View Post
    Thanks guys - just checked on Ihaha, Savuti, Third bridge and Baines Baobabs - all full for the entire month of August. Guess I have to postpone my Botswana trip to next year... And start booking now!
    Hi PaulTutein

The bookings are coming in really fast, if you have 2019 Dates better book now.

We can help reserve camps for you at a ounce- off fee of BWP 499.90.

Email NDM at [email protected]

Thanks

Maile
    NDM Travel Agency
    We book:
    Public Campsites/4x4 Hire /Lodges/Park Permits/ Private Camps/namibia Camps
    Safari Activities/Game Drives/Transfers/Scenic Flights/House Boats/vic Falls

Email 1: [email protected] - CHAWA [Cell: +267 76702579]
    Email 2: [email protected] - [Cell: +267 76702602 ]
    Tel:+267 6800264
    https://www.facebook.com/NDMTravel/