Cape Town - Malawi via Moz & return via Zambia & Bots

Default Cape Town - Malawi via Moz & return via Zambia & Bots

Hi all, I need some general input please. We are seasoned overlanders and are thinking of doing a trip Cape Town - Malawi via Moz & return via Zambia & Bots during December 2019.

Current it is long term planning and all the details still need to be fleshed out.

I have never been to Moz or Malawi. I have approx 3 - 4 weeks for the trip - so the general idea is approx 10 days Cape town to Malawi via Moz, 1 week in Malawi, 1 week for the return trip via Zambia and then possibly Zimbabwe or Bots or Namibia.

The only firm destination at this stage is lake Malawi.

The upward leg :

The General idea (if viable) is to enter Moz from the south ( ex KZN) and then work our way up to the Malawi border. Is that doable in 10 days (given that it will take 3 days from Cape town to the Moz border) .
    Or should I treat Moz as a separate trip and run up to Malawi via Beitbridge & Zimbabwe ?

Getting Back in about 1 week.

I heard horror stories about very expensive cross border charges (running into many thousands of Rand) into Zambia. Is that true?

What is the best route back to Cape Town?

In summary -
    I have 3 - 4 weeks in December 2019 for a road trip to Malawi. I also want to see something of the countries that I will be traveling through.

I would appreciate suggestions from members who has been that way on the best routes & itinerary ??

Default Re: ape Town - Malawi via Moz & return via Zambia & Bots

Not nice to refer to Cape Townians as apes. Some of as are gorillas.

Default Re: ape Town - Malawi via Moz & return via Zambia & Bots

That's a helluva lot of ground to cover in 3 to 4 weeks, especially as December is the start of the rainy season. Perhaps plan something a little less ambitious so you don't spend all your time on the road, with not enough time for parking off/smelling the flowers?
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Cape Town - Malawi via Moz & return via Zambia & Bots

Quote Originally Posted by TheoP View Post
    Hi all, I need some general input please. We are seasoned overlanders and are thinking of doing a trip Cape Town - Malawi via Moz & return via Zambia & Bots during December 2019.

Current it is long term planning and all the details still need to be fleshed out.

I have never been to Moz or Malawi. I have approx 3 - 4 weeks for the trip - so the general idea is approx 10 days Cape town to Malawi via Moz, 1 week in Malawi, 1 week for the return trip via Zambia and then possibly Zimbabwe or Bots or Namibia.

The only firm destination at this stage is lake Malawi.

The upward leg :

The General idea (if viable) is to enter Moz from the south ( ex KZN) and then work our way up to the Malawi border. Is that doable in 10 days (given that it will take 3 days from Cape town to the Moz border) .
    Or should I treat Moz as a separate trip and run up to Malawi via Beitbridge & Zimbabwe ?

Getting Back in about 1 week.

I heard horror stories about very expensive cross border charges (running into many thousands of Rand) into Zambia. Is that true?

What is the best route back to Cape Town?

In summary -
    I have 3 - 4 weeks in December 2019 for a road trip to Malawi. I also want to see something of the countries that I will be traveling through.

I would appreciate suggestions from members who has been that way on the best routes & itinerary ??
    Theo, we did a similar trip , from Malawi to Knysna, twice, once went through Zim and once through Zambia and Namibia.

However , the moz route is quick too,unless you want to spend time along the way.
    Say a day from moz border to vilankukos and spend th night. Next day to Chimoio and spend the night. Next day into Malawi via Tete and Mwanza border.
    3 days

Zambia , Namibia route.
    Say you start from Lilongwe. Cross at mchinji border and overnight ant Chimwemwe lodge.
    Next day you can do Lusaka and overnight, or even go from Chimwemwe to Livingstone, this will work if it's on a Sunday when Lusaka is quiet. We did that, left Chimwemwe early morning , arrived in Livingstone around 7 in the evening.
    Next day to the border at Katima and overnight.Next day to Rundu...next day to Swakopmund. Next day I forgot the name of the place, southern Nam, middle of nowhere .Next day Springbok..
    So 7 or 8 nights if you never stop longer than a night in each place.
    This is if you just want to get from a to b. We stopped a couple of days in most places as it was a holiday.

Same thing through Zim, it took me 2 days from the Selati gate near Mica to get back home to Malawi.

Zambia border is no problem, why should you spend all that money? It's 20 dollars tip, 40 kwacha council tax (!), Insurance seems to vary from border to border , just before Xmas I paid 163 kwacha at the mchinji border while on the way to south luangwa.

Hope this helps, stop by for a beer if you make it .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Cape Town - Malawi via Moz & return via Zambia & Bots

Can you tell the price for road tax to enter Malawi from Zambia? Please . We plan to visit it June 2019.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413