Comprehensive trip report Zambia

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Comprehensive trip report Zambia

We have finished our comprehensive trip report concerning our July-August 2008 trip in North-East Zambia.
    The trip included Kasanka, Kazembe and Mutomboko ceremony, waterfalls trip, Sumbu NP, Kapishya and Shiwa N'Gandu, North Luangwa, Luambe NP, Nsefu NP, South Luangwa, Escarpment track O5, Mutinondo and Wonder Gorge.

Report is written in Flemish, perfectly readable for all Afrikaans-speaking people. Lightversion (without photo's) has 137 pages, 4,61 Mb.
    You 'll find a roadbook style day by day description, a day by day diary and a description of all places where we set up camp or visited lodges + pricesettings.

It will be my pleasure to send it on simple request to all interested members of this forum . Consider it as a return for the help I got on this forum (and the other one) to prepare the trip.

regards

eric
    Last edited by Eric; 2009/01/19 at 06:07 PM. Reason: correction

Eric, sounds to me you have written a book on the trip. I will pm you with my contact details, please send me a copy.

Thanks Eric, please send me a copy to [email protected] Your last trip report was very useful for our trip to Zambia.

Tony
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Default Zambia trip report

Thanks Erich, please copy for me to [email protected]

Our trip report has been sended by mail to RianHabig, Tony Weaver and Mfuwefarmer.
    Also to three others who contacted me by private message.

Please advice that everything has been correctly received.
    Feed back would be greatly apreciated.

We plan our next trip over there in 2010, all experiences will be mostly welcome.

Wish you all a good reading

Eric

Morning Eric,

Mike & I are planning our next trip to Southern Africa also for 2010 and are hoping to include Zambia and Malawi in the journey.

Is your report available in English ??
    Margaret

Hello Gemini,

Unfourtunatly not: writing it in Flemish was allready a monsterwork. But it is readable for all Afrikaans speaking people. Also Germans and even some Dutch speaking people are able to read it...
    Anyhow: allways ready to assist you for further questions. Earlier I posted on this website a summary of our trip: please find a copy hereunder.
    Also, our previous trips (200, 2003 and 2006) brought us to Western Zambia (Barotse, kafue, Chimfunsi, copperbelt Lochinvar, livingstone)

Copy of previous thread:

Trip (two adults, three children one LR DEF130)in North-East Zambia. This was our 8th trip in Southern Africa. It absolutely was the most marvellous trip we made till now.
    It consisted of two parts.
    A first was meant to explore the north-eastern part of Zambia. The latter part was our second visit to the Luanga Valley, this time making a circular drive starting and ending near Mpika.

A quick survey:

Started in Lusaka and jumped in three days to Kazembe in the North-east (overnights in Forest Inn (Sweetwaters is closed)), Kasanka and bushcamping at a waterfall 30 km North of Mansa (Mubululuma) on the DRC-border)

Raod from Lusaka to Serenje in very good condition (not one pothole). A few minor potholes on Chinese road to Samfia, deteriorating halfway (after having crossed the 3km bridge over the swamps) Very potholed between Samfya and Mansa. Excellent tar between Mansa and Mberishi

- Stayed in Kazembe at the Morrow-Mission-Orphanage. A little paradise with a loveley family, very engaged in the local community. They are welcoming guests (and are very happy with a donation for their mission).

- beautifull and very impressive Motombuku ceremony with the Mwata-Kazembe king. Thanks to reverend Thomas Morrow we experienced the wonderfull and mythic two days ceremony from the first -and very privileged- row.

- Once we left the mission, along on the track between Mberishi and Mporokoso we visited the most extra-ordinary series of falls we ever saw (not as huge but more impressive than Vic falls, bigger than Nyonge falls) with superb camping spots (each time just on a few meters from the edge with loveley natural pools) : Ntumbchusi, Lumangwe, Kabweluma, )

Tracks between Kazembe and Mporokoso recently upgraded and in very good condition. (70km/h)
    Track from the Lumangwe-Mporokosoroad to Mbululuma in poor condition (25km/h), becoming much better once more north in the direction of the Mweru-Wanatipa track . The track leading to the MweruWantipa NP and than further to Sumbu recently upgraded and in very good condition (70km/h)

- Sumbu area at Tanganika is poor in wildlife but a superb rest point at the shore. Ndola bay is a highlight (camping at the shore, scuba diving, ... ) .

Track from Sumbu to Mporokoso in good condition (60km/h)

Track from Mporokoso to Kasama first in more or less reasonable condition (very sandy from time to time) , then deterioration to +/- 40 km hell. We had the impression they are preparing to upgrade that part.

road from Kasama to Shiwa: good exepted for two very huge potholes halfway the tarroad (some stupid filled it up partially with BLACK sand, lucky we were warned)

- Kapishya hot springs and Shiwa Ngandu castle are both very impressive. Absolutely worth a few days visit. (We hiked to different waterfalls, visited the castle and the gamepark near the lake, camped near the hotsprings). If you want a motivation to go there, read 'the Africa House' from Christina Lamb.

On our way to Buffalo's in North Luanga we stayed at the Natwange community bushcamp at the Malweshi river near Mano Scoutcamp: a marvellous campsite (ask campsite nr 6) with a marvellous caretaker. The track from the great North road leading into NLuanga NP is recently upgraded and in good condition 50 km/h). Once in the valley the track leading to Buffalo's is bumby in places.
    - Did North Luanga (Buffalo camp): days of 6 hours hiking with Mark Harvey and team, without any doubt one of the best guides in Zambia. Never the less (or better thanks to him) we found ourselves in the middle of a heard of 1500 buffalo's (no exageration) , had close encounters with lion and wild dog... . Buffallo camp is also a marvellous place for birding. mark is the only guide in NLNP to accept children on his walks.
    - did the track connecting North Luanga to South Luanga (the west-east direction is far more easy: some of the riverslopes are steep ans slippery in East-West direction) Stayed at the community campsites Chifunda and Mwanya. Excellent value, marvellous spots, friendly people and good guides.

Stayed at the camps Wildlife, Track & Trails and Flatdogs in Mfuwe. Found Flatdogs much better than expected, were disappointed with Track&Trails (we were very happy with them two years ago, but now we experienced very poor service and very poor guide on nightdrive)
    Also had a very good impression of Croc valley (beautifull view, clean and cheap) .

- Did the 05 escarpment track up to great North road again: a marvellous adventure: a sturdy 4x4 is needed but no major difficulties (first a long but beautifull and very straightforeward track in the South Luanga NP, then two wet rivers to cross (only possible when water drops down enough), one fast flowing but sandbaged, one on a good and sandy soiled undergroud with water till just under the bonnet (a bridge is under construction here) but easy to take, followed by a very steep and rocky 11 km climb (all in 1st low gear) again a good track and then, just before the great North a VERY sandy km (compare it with the Rakops-CKGR track in the old days),
    - Visited and hiked in Mutinendo: a great place to hike-and-swim. very good birding. Did two days hiking and swimming in the cristal-clear rivers (you can drink from the river without the slightest problem)
    Great North road between Mpika and Serenje VERY potholed in places. 25 km track between Great North and Mutinendo in excellent condition. Fine camp spots near Mutinendo main camp. Very secluded, beautifull and lonely camp place 10 km further.
    - Visited Wonder gorge: a long 4hr track to reach it (from Mkiushi or from Kabwe). Worth the detour if you've time left , not the trip. campplace is very lonesome and windy, the real viewpoint (bellpoint) is a few 100 meters from here.

Hi,

We recently followed much the same route as you did except we started in the West at Liuwa Plains, headed North across the park, ferry over the Zambezi to Lukulu then on to the source of the Zambezi (awsome drive), along the Copperbelt to Chingola, crossed the DRC pedicle to Manza, Samfya, back to Manza, on to the same falls as you plus a few more then Tanganyika and back via Hot Springs and Mutinondo. Anyone wanting info on the west etc drop me a line at [email protected]. Still busy with the trip report.

We live in Zambia and are hell bent on exploring, in detail, every one of the 7 countries which border on it.

Ciao.

Default request for report

Hi Eric, I will be in Zambia in July but not the areas you went to - mainly Kafue - but would be keen to read your report and learn from your experience - if you don't mind, please e-mail to [email protected] Thanks, Paolo

Paolo,

It could be a better idea to send you our trip reports 2003 and 2000 where we did indeed visited the Kafue area. Do you agree? if yes just give me a shout and I'll send you the trip report you wish.
    remember the reports are written in Flemish

regards

eric
    Last edited by Eric; 2009/01/27 at 08:55 PM. Reason: correction

Hi Eric - that will be fine so please send me your old reports - you have my email address. I don't think my Italian will help with the Flemish translation but my wife can speak and read Afrikaans so we will give it a go! Thanks, Paolo

Default Zambia trip report

Hi Eric, thanks very much for the report, very comprehensive and lots of useful information.

Great Stuff!!

Rian

Thank youy Rain. Please tell me when you consider going. We will go there again in 2010 and we might be interested in changes over there...

Poalo, I have just sended both older trip reports (about Western zambia) over e-mail. Please confirm the receival.

Regards
    eric

marelm Guest

Default Zambia trip reports

Hi Eric,

Can you send your trip reports to us too, please?
    We'll be doing our first trip to Zambia in sept 2009 : starting from Livingstone, we plan to visit Lower Zambezi, Kafue and South Luangwa.
    We're particularly interested in the best (and affordable) camping options in/close to these parks.

Thanks!
    Martin
    ([email protected])

hello,

the report has been sended to you by mail today.

Tony, or anyone else who knows........

We are planning a really loose itinerary for our August trip to Zambia. We really only know that we will be at Mukambi Lodge towards the end of the month (we might go there earlier as well..........). As such, making bookings for camps would be a nuisance for us. Is it necessary, though? I am thinking particularly of Kaingu and McBride's. Can't we just turn up? Surely Kafue is never really busy!!

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Quote Originally Posted by gemini View Post
    Morning Eric,

Mike & I are planning our next trip to Southern Africa also for 2010 and are hoping to include Zambia and Malawi in the journey.

Is your report available in English ??
    Hi Mike & Margaret

I am also looking at Zambia and Malawi as possible destinations for maybe October 2010. Let me know what your plans are, we might meet somewhere.

Regards
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAG View Post
    Tony, or anyone else who knows........

We are planning a really loose itinerary for our August trip to Zambia. We really only know that we will be at Mukambi Lodge towards the end of the month (we might go there earlier as well..........). As such, making bookings for camps would be a nuisance for us. Is it necessary, though? I am thinking particularly of Kaingu and McBride's. Can't we just turn up? Surely Kafue is never really busy!!

Mike

Hi Mike,

I wouldn't think booking was necessary - August 4 is a public holiday, but you are going to be there outside of the SA school holidays, who comprise the bulk of the overlanders. Kaingu only has three camp sites, although Tom was talking of expanding downriver - the two Rapids camp sites are gems, the third camp site is away from the river and is a bush camp for bigger groups.

All the camps are on email and it may be worth dropping them a mail when you get closer to the time to say that you will be there approximately on such and such a date - the camps are also in contact with each other, and another option is simply that when you get to one camp, you ask them to email the next camp to say you will be there at an approximate date - just makes planning a bit easier for them.

Also, if for any reason they don't have space, you can easily move on to the next camp for a day or two until there is space, although that can be a hassle. For example, Kaingu, Mukambi and Mayukuyuku are all within a few hours drive of each other, McBrides probably also now that they have upgraded the access road.

Tony
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Thanks Tony
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Bookings are not essential, though I guess from a lodge management point of view it would be nice to know who is coming, even if its rough dates and tentative, even if it is for camping.

I don't know of a Zambian Lodge / campsite owner that will turn you away.......they will always make a plan ..... real hospitable folks out here............and if they do shame on them ....... but what a great excuse to camp wild!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast