DIY 3d Printer home built





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East London
    Age
    53
    Posts
    159
    Thanked: 8

    Default DIY 3d Printer home built

    A while back I decided to see if I was all thumbs or not. Just to prove to myself that if one applied ones mind to a project it is possible.

    Not knowing a thing about 3d printers - I set off to build one using open- share software a second hand PC stand, a friends help for welding, and Electronics - new and re-used including from old PC's and such. Nothing pretty but it is functional...

    The result was the following:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160724_004015.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	472260 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160722_232114.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	472258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calibration block.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	368.1 KB 
ID:	472259 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160724_004002.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	472261

    I want try print Wheel cap covers for the BT as one is lost....

    Little4by4
    Now a 3.2 Auto - BT-50, long range tank, Mazda branded re-placement bumper, Duel battery, Takla Seat covers, Rebuilt Engine, upgraded Inter cooler, upgraded Billet Turbo, Madman EMS. Coming soon upgraded Exhaust and small lift.
    Used to have - Kia Sportage MY 2002 Missus Hence (Little4by4)
    Used to have - Discovery 2 TD5 ES. Lifted - Spaced, Bigger wheels, Up-rated springs, Dual Bat, Inverter, Roof Rack, and much more... (The Blue Tank) Miss her badly....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Pringle Bay
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,839
    Thanked: 764

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    Very good, nice job Does it do what you planned ?
    Audi A6 Avant Quattro V6 tdi ( Sold )
    VW Touareg V6 tdi ( sadly written off )
    2 x Toyota Celica GT4 Gen 6 (Sold) sadly missed
    2 x Toyota Celica Gen. 5 ( Sold ) not missed as much as the above.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East London
    Age
    53
    Posts
    159
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    Meh

    Yes it does I printed a few things mostly Glow in the dark key rings for friends and small items. The Plastic filament is rather prone to warping but I have learnt to get round some of the issues. I printed a hub cap as a idea but still have some refinement to do – the Mazda emblem and cap itself are two parts and it looks bland so Im going to mod the design and colour black.
    The printer was initially intended to be 750 x 750 x 450 mm (L x H X W) but this is to large to print with melted PLA, ABS etc.

    Still good fun to watch a Model being printed – even if it is rather slow. Accuracy is about +/- .5 mm over 350 mm, when printing - but Parts do warp and shrink. So have to have the heated base.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180107_194954.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	472370 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180107_195005.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	472371

    Little4by4
    Now a 3.2 Auto - BT-50, long range tank, Mazda branded re-placement bumper, Duel battery, Takla Seat covers, Rebuilt Engine, upgraded Inter cooler, upgraded Billet Turbo, Madman EMS. Coming soon upgraded Exhaust and small lift.
    Used to have - Kia Sportage MY 2002 Missus Hence (Little4by4)
    Used to have - Discovery 2 TD5 ES. Lifted - Spaced, Bigger wheels, Up-rated springs, Dual Bat, Inverter, Roof Rack, and much more... (The Blue Tank) Miss her badly....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,457
    Thanked: 1120

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    I find this so interesting. The build for me would be easy, the electronics, not so much. The programming ,probably impossible.
    Could you please explain how you go about doing the command. Do you have to be a solid works or similer programme guru. What is your day job.?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East London
    Age
    53
    Posts
    159
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    Plunger

    My day Job? I'm a Quality Manager for an Automotive Supplier.......

    Actually it was not that difficult - the Software is Open source.
    The Electronics uses an Ardino board (You can buy these from Communica or the 3D shop in centurion. (Paul the owner is very helpful.) He also stocks linear bearings and odds and bobs needed.

    Software
    Ardino / Marlin / Repetier Software which can be down loaded free.
    I Use Tinkercad mostly for designing simple items. (https://www.tinkercad.com)

    I must admit I did have quite a few flops and learning curves along the way. One being, I made the printer too large and had a glass surface of 750 mm by 750 mm heated in one section – well I knew I was taking a chance - not evenly heated it may stress and crack.
    (It did while I was printing something and just as I touched the item – not sure what I was doing, checking that it was sticking to the glass or just looking at the print. – What a shocker I nearly fell off the chair and had to check if my heart was still ticking over – Toughened Glass can go bang, especially when you not expecting it.)
    One other thing I learnt was don’t use the small onboard plug Drivers for the servo motors – They pop for the least of things.
    And best prints are in day time and heated surface and slow speed…
    Calibration was relatively easy once you know how many steps are needed and Marlin and the Web site is very user friendly.
    So no you don’t need to be a guru.

    Admittingly I was a Draughtsman many years ago when Cad was on Green screens and only the CEO had a Colour PC Monitor and I am proficient in Auto-cad – but Tinkercad is really so much more user friendly and basic. And they have many examples which you can download and alter / modify if you want, with geometric shapes etc. You do need software that can export in .STL files though.

    Little4by4
    Now a 3.2 Auto - BT-50, long range tank, Mazda branded re-placement bumper, Duel battery, Takla Seat covers, Rebuilt Engine, upgraded Inter cooler, upgraded Billet Turbo, Madman EMS. Coming soon upgraded Exhaust and small lift.
    Used to have - Kia Sportage MY 2002 Missus Hence (Little4by4)
    Used to have - Discovery 2 TD5 ES. Lifted - Spaced, Bigger wheels, Up-rated springs, Dual Bat, Inverter, Roof Rack, and much more... (The Blue Tank) Miss her badly....

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to little4by4 For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    38
    Posts
    629
    Thanked: 1207

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    Have you looked and played with fusion 360? If you proficient in auto cad you should be able to pick it up quite quickly. It is also free if you a hobbyist. Very powerful software. Just saying....

    But well done on the build. I have a similar project that is on hold at the moment its a cnc router 1200x 1200x 500 Frame is 80% finished. Due to budget constraints I can't buy the hardware to make it run at the moment. But yes I also have a Arduino that I would like to use in conjunction with Easel.

    If I may ask, which drivers did you end up using?
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Go anywhere
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold


  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,457
    Thanked: 1120

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    Quote Originally Posted by little4by4 View Post
    Meh

    Yes it does I printed a few things mostly Glow in the dark key rings for friends and small items. The Plastic filament is rather prone to warping but I have learnt to get round some of the issues. I printed a hub cap as a idea but still have some refinement to do – the Mazda emblem and cap itself are two parts and it looks bland so Im going to mod the design and colour black.
    The printer was initially intended to be 750 x 750 x 450 mm (L x H X W) but this is to large to print with melted PLA, ABS etc.

    Still good fun to watch a Model being printed – even if it is rather slow. Accuracy is about +/- .5 mm over 350 mm, when printing - but Parts do warp and shrink. So have to have the heated base.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180107_194954.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	472370 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180107_195005.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	472371

    Little4by4

    I am amazed at this?How long does it take to print that.The detail is amazing.I would take
    years to learn to draw that. You wonder if technology will get to the point where you can scan a product and then it just prints it. No more toolmakers needed.How durable ,and expensive is that plastic.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lutterworth
    Age
    42
    Posts
    109
    Thanked: 26

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I am amazed at this?... No more toolmakers needed....
    Lol at this. A common misconception. Injection moulding and 3D printing are two different animals and one will never replace the other.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,457
    Thanked: 1120

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigseb View Post
    Lol at this. A common misconception. Injection moulding and 3D printing are two different animals and one will never replace the other.
    I am not so sure about that. In your days you would have acsess to cnc machine centers and edm machines doing most of the work to make a die.
    In the old days a toolmaker would have made alot of this using a pantagraph machine after pocketing alot of it on a universal milling machine and hand finishing it .That would include alot of polishing.
    Soon ,perhaps dies will be printed with accumulative build ups of toolsteel.
    I saw a turbine blade the other day built on a similer thing to a 3 d printer. It was a progressive build up of titanium I think that was actually laser welded.I couldnt believe the detail and finish.

    I realize that a tool for injection molding is tedious at this point.I dont know what materials can be 3d printed but it must open many windows. Just looking at this ,if you could print graphite or copper that would already put a toolmaker in a spot. Make the shape like that shown by the op and you could spark erode a simple die already.

    Toolmakers were normally the first to be bombed in the old days when times got tough simply because they earned the most.
    I am just using this as an example of technology sometimes being a bad thing when it comes to employment.Just think where we will be in another twenty years.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    [REMOVED]
    Posts
    2,186
    Thanked: 262

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    The aviation company my sister works for based in the Wonderboom airport was on Carte blanche not so long ago for printing using aluminum. Quite interesting.


    Plunger, looks like we are opposites, The electronics and programming (Not that there is much that you need to do by your self) isnt a problem for me. I tried to build one without following a particular design and failed miserably . I Just bought components and screwed them together and quickly spent 3K on a printer that's not even nearly done. I should have planned better

    See here http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...er-Build/page2
    But I'm ready to buy a another 3D printer kit. I can always print the rest of the components for the initial printer.,

    But where ? I have R5000 (Max) to spend on a printer, and don't mind if its a prusa i3 kit that I have to assemble.

    3D printing store has one that I'm interested in but, the printer it self isn't special and pretty much a Prusa I3 clone, with a LCD it cost over 10K. It has a steel frame where as the cheaper Prusa clones has either wood or acrylic frames. Unless there is something else I'm missing 10K sounds a bit over priced.

    I asked my Wife's aunt to bring an Anet A6 from the US at the end of Feb from Amazon. She didn't buy it yet. So I still have the option to buy locally.

    Below is the Anet that Im looking at it's only $249 and I will be saving on shipping cost.
    Attachment 474829



    What other printers for around 5K can I get ?

    Not sure if anyone knows about the Fespa Show hosted for Printing companies in gallagher estate usually around November each year? There was a small company who was showing off the Prusa MK2, that has automatic Skew compensation with automatic bed leveling.

    This one
    Attachment 474830
    But I cant find any one that sells them locally !!!!!!!
    Last edited by SBSP; 2018/01/24 at 01:51 PM.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kroonstad
    Age
    31
    Posts
    101
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    Get a wahao i3 plus. I'm very happy mine good quality.
    https://shop.ams3d.co.za
    I see there is a i3 mini for R3500.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    [REMOVED]
    Posts
    2,186
    Thanked: 262

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    Thanks, Looks like a good machine. I watched a couple of youtube reviews

  14. #13
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    65
    Posts
    148
    Thanked: 36

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    Hi Guys,

    Very interesting thread and one that makes you want to go out and buy a 3D printer to play with.

    I don't want to hijack the thread but need to have a door molding part for my Frontier printed because i can't find one in a scrapyard. it is approx 350mm x 70mm x 50mm.

    I have a damaged one that could be scanned or copied and the required CAD drawing input could be drawn.

    Is there someone that could do this and what would be a ball park figure for such a part?

    Cheers.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    46
    Posts
    279
    Thanked: 85

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontierfan View Post
    Hi Guys,

    Very interesting thread and one that makes you want to go out and buy a 3D printer to play with.

    I don't want to hijack the thread but need to have a door molding part for my Frontier printed because i can't find one in a scrapyard. it is approx 350mm x 70mm x 50mm.

    I have a damaged one that could be scanned or copied and the required CAD drawing input could be drawn.

    Is there someone that could do this and what would be a ball park figure for such a part?

    Cheers.
    That size is a bit difficult on std print bed . Post on the 3d printing S.A. site on fb. you'll find guys there with bigger print beds.
    2011 Suzuki Jimny, Rocksliders (Bluerocket), Underbody protection (Stofpad), Roofrack (African Outback)
    Drawer System (self)

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to vstromPE For This Useful Post:


  17. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    46
    Posts
    279
    Thanked: 85

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    We quickly knocked out some pin locators for our drawer system. 3d printing is so cool
    2011 Suzuki Jimny, Rocksliders (Bluerocket), Underbody protection (Stofpad), Roofrack (African Outback)
    Drawer System (self)

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lutterworth
    Age
    42
    Posts
    109
    Thanked: 26

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I am not so sure about that. In your days you would have acsess to cnc machine centers and edm machines doing most of the work to make a die.
    In the old days a toolmaker would have made alot of this using a pantagraph machine after pocketing alot of it on a universal milling machine and hand finishing it .That would include alot of polishing.
    Soon ,perhaps dies will be printed with accumulative build ups of toolsteel.
    I saw a turbine blade the other day built on a similer thing to a 3 d printer. It was a progressive build up of titanium I think that was actually laser welded.I couldnt believe the detail and finish.

    I realize that a tool for injection molding is tedious at this point.I dont know what materials can be 3d printed but it must open many windows. Just looking at this ,if you could print graphite or copper that would already put a toolmaker in a spot. Make the shape like that shown by the op and you could spark erode a simple die already.

    Toolmakers were normally the first to be bombed in the old days when times got tough simply because they earned the most.
    I am just using this as an example of technology sometimes being a bad thing when it comes to employment.Just think where we will be in another twenty years.
    Its not that simple. In the end it all comes down to cost. As my employer keeps telling me, "We're not here to make moulds, we're here to make a profit."

    I love 3D printing. I think it is fascinating technology. I have been doing it for over 5 years now. And now that I am in the UK I visit the trade shows for 3D printing too. What I see blows my mind away. The technology available these days is beyond words. But my oh my, it is very expensive. Printing metal is also not as simple as printing plastic. Not only are there many process involved (that increase the error margin) but the steels available for printing are few. Then theres the hardening issue. I won't bore everyone here with the details but I have been at two companies that have tried it and it doesn't work as good as milling/drilling/etc a block of steel.

    But even if it did the cost is prohibitive. Boeing is experimenting with 3D printed aluminium struts (not in production yet) and NASA, SpaceX and Rocket Labs are 3D printing engine parts. But in toolmaking? No.

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,457
    Thanked: 1120

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigseb View Post
    Its not that simple. In the end it all comes down to cost. As my employer keeps telling me, "We're not here to make moulds, we're here to make a profit."

    I love 3D printing. I think it is fascinating technology. I have been doing it for over 5 years now. And now that I am in the UK I visit the trade shows for 3D printing too. What I see blows my mind away. The technology available these days is beyond words. But my oh my, it is very expensive. Printing metal is also not as simple as printing plastic. Not only are there many process involved (that increase the error margin) but the steels available for printing are few. Then theres the hardening issue. I won't bore everyone here with the details but I have been at two companies that have tried it and it doesn't work as good as milling/drilling/etc a block of steel.

    But even if it did the cost is prohibitive. Boeing is experimenting with 3D printed aluminium struts (not in production yet) and NASA, SpaceX and Rocket Labs are 3D printing engine parts. But in toolmaking? No.
    Technology is a scary thing.thirty years ago i qualified as a tool jig and die maker at hart limited.we were one of the first toolrooms to have a cnc milling machine.if you walk in a modern tiolroom it will be hard to find a toolmaker who can use a universal dividing head or for that matter a jig boring machine.They become obsolete through technology .Where will we be in thirty years time with 3d printing..its amazing.My comment was more tongue in cheek.

  20. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lutterworth
    Age
    42
    Posts
    109
    Thanked: 26

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Technology is a scary thing.thirty years ago i qualified as a tool jig and die maker at hart limited.we were one of the first toolrooms to have a cnc milling machine.if you walk in a modern tiolroom it will be hard to find a toolmaker who can use a universal dividing head or for that matter a jig boring machine.They become obsolete through technology .Where will we be in thirty years time with 3d printing..its amazing.My comment was more tongue in cheek.
    It is amazing. I agree. And likely in 30 years the price structure will be different. But then if you think that the bulk of the work can be achieved using a conventional mill and grinder then again you have an outlay cost for something that won't see much use for.

    Personally I think that in time we will see specialist companies that offer this service but they won't be toolmakers, merely printers of parts. The toolmaking skill itself is a completely league.

    Sodick have a machine that is 3D printer an cnc mill in one. I saw it in action at the TCT show in 2016. Wow! Some serious bit of kit. But it was very expensive. And then you still need the sinter and post process. And after you still don't have a part with the required hardness...
    Last edited by Bigseb; 2018/01/30 at 01:41 PM.

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    46
    Posts
    114
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    Quote Originally Posted by SBSP View Post
    The aviation company my sister works for based in the Wonderboom airport was on Carte blanche not so long ago for printing using aluminum. Quite interesting.


    Plunger, looks like we are opposites, The electronics and programming (Not that there is much that you need to do by your self) isnt a problem for me. I tried to build one without following a particular design and failed miserably . I Just bought components and screwed them together and quickly spent 3K on a printer that's not even nearly done. I should have planned better

    See here http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...er-Build/page2
    But I'm ready to buy a another 3D printer kit. I can always print the rest of the components for the initial printer.,

    But where ? I have R5000 (Max) to spend on a printer, and don't mind if its a prusa i3 kit that I have to assemble.

    3D printing store has one that I'm interested in but, the printer it self isn't special and pretty much a Prusa I3 clone, with a LCD it cost over 10K. It has a steel frame where as the cheaper Prusa clones has either wood or acrylic frames. Unless there is something else I'm missing 10K sounds a bit over priced.

    I asked my Wife's aunt to bring an Anet A6 from the US at the end of Feb from Amazon. She didn't buy it yet. So I still have the option to buy locally.

    Below is the Anet that Im looking at it's only $249 and I will be saving on shipping cost.
    Attachment 474829



    What other printers for around 5K can I get ?

    Not sure if anyone knows about the Fespa Show hosted for Printing companies in gallagher estate usually around November each year? There was a small company who was showing off the Prusa MK2, that has automatic Skew compensation with automatic bed leveling.

    This one
    Attachment 474830
    But I cant find any one that sells them locally !!!!!!!
    found a company in Durban. https://www.diyelectronics.co.za/sto...BoCarcQAvD_BwE
    bought my printer from them, they do some cheap ones now.
    '98 Isuzu Frontier 280 Lx 4x4

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lutterworth
    Age
    42
    Posts
    109
    Thanked: 26

    Default Re: DIY 3d Printer home built

    Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter View Post
    found a company in Durban. https://www.diyelectronics.co.za/sto...BoCarcQAvD_BwE
    bought my printer from them, they do some cheap ones now.
    That site also lists the CR-10. That is getting rave reviews. Best bang-for-your-buck printer on the market.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •