Black Rhino wheels affect warranty?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    El Nino Guest

Default Black Rhino wheels affect warranty?

I am wanting to change my Navara's alloy wheels for the Black Rhino alloy wheels and I enquired from Nissan SA if this would negatively affect my warranty. They have twice told me that it would affect the warranty.

I think this is grossly unfair as I am sure that the Rhino wheels are just as strong if not stronger than the Nissan approved wheels. I feel that this is their way of forcing me to buy their XD wheels at over R4k a wheel.

Anyone ignored this and put on non Nissan approved wheels and subsequently had a warranty claim refused?

Default Re: Black Rhino wheels affect warranty?

You have asked twice. They said it will. It will....
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

I would change it, and keep the old wheels to put back on the vehicle when you have a warranty claim. How much do you have left of your warranty in any case...

I personally think it is a bunch of BS that a manufacturer can claim that wheels CAN affect a warranty. Maybe on wheel bearings but on an engine or a gearbox or the onboard computer. Utter excrement, is all I can say....

It is not as if Nissan Wheels are something special, in fact, the mags Nissan had fitted to the original Pathfinders and Navaras had to be replaced (Dealer Bulletin) because they cracked. Then the later alloy wheels, the steel insert fall out.... Find the thread about that one and see how prevalent that is!!

So Nissan must not come with their "Holier than thou" attitude. I think their attitude about wheels will not stand for much in a court of law, should it come to that.

My personal feeling.....
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2018/01/08 at 11:07 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

El Nino Guest

My Navara is new so I basically have just short of 6 years left on the warranty. Good idea to put the wheels back on in case of a claim but I was hoping to sell them.

Chances are that the Rhino wheels WILL have a different offset to the OEM wheels, which will theoretically put more strain on the wheel bearings... Then there is the issue of the weight etc. etc.
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 Auto Diesel

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide
    My ULTIMATE dual battery box

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SinWolf For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    I would change it, and keep the old wheels to put back on the vehicle when you have a warranty claim. How much do you have left of your warranty in any case...

I personally think it is a bunch of BS that a manufacturer can claim that wheels CAN affect a warranty. Maybe on wheel bearings but on an engine or a gearbox or the onboard computer. Utter excrement, is all I can say....

It is not as if Nissan Wheels are something special, in fact, the mags Nissan had fitted to the original Pathfinders and Navaras had to be replaced (Dealer Bulletin) because they cracked. Then the later alloy wheels, the steel insert fall out.... Find the thread about that one and see how prevalent that is!!

So Nissan must not come with their "Holier than thou" attitude. I think their attitude about wheels will not stand for much in a court of law, should it come to that.

My personal feeling.....

Actually, wheels can affect a car. A colleague here at work bought a suzuki swift, brand new, and they gave him options for wheels. The rims were actually aftermarket non suzuki rims, but was supplied by suzuki themselves. Anyway, what happened afterwards were that the power steering kept on breaking. They even gave him a new car, and same thing happened. Only then did they realize that the rims were the problem. Basically it stuffed up the sensors as it gave too much resistance or some crap like that. Now, in saying this, his scenario, I think the rims were bigger than the standard rims. Not sure if that is the case with OP. But in any case, is it worth the risk?
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post

My personal feeling.....
    Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    My Navara is new so I basically have just short of 6 years left on the warranty. Good idea to put the wheels back on in case of a claim but I was hoping to sell them.
    That is fraud.

El Nino Guest

@Ricoffy, upon reflection agreed and noted.

@Ricoffy, upon reflection agreed and noted.
    I must remember this reply... What a comeback (or rather backtrack)
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 Auto Diesel

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide
    My ULTIMATE dual battery box

El Nino Guest

I would still consider it.

If the claim is because of the rims (wheel bearings, or disc pad problems, maybe), yes, I would consider it fraud and would rather pay for the repair myself.

For Nissan to repudiate a warranty claim on something like an onboard computer or a MAF because I fitted aftermarket rims, is that also not considered fraud in a slightly different guise? If they had rather changed their stance and instead said,

"if the failure is caused by the rims, we will not honour the warranty, but it does not affect the warranty on the rest of the vehicle",

then I would consider them not to be disingenuous. With their current attitude (according to their statement), I think they are trying to schnaai the customer, one more way to wriggle out of a warranty claim.

So what if I fit Ferodo brake pads, or fill my tyres with nitrogen at TWT, or put Castrol anti-freeze in the cooling system or fit imported Cooper tyres, or a Bosal towbar, or a Firestone fan belt? They are all non-OEM fitted items. Will they repudiate a warranty claim? So then why then the rims. Like all the above, they are also made by an outside supplier......

If you can prove through the track record of the OEM rims, that it was done due to safety concerns? They got it wrong twice in a row with the previous generation Navara, are you confident that they will get it right this time? On a balance of probabilities, I am not, specially where the safety of myself and my family are concerned.

See this post - http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ou-wiel-loskom

SORRY NISSAN, THAT IS VERY POOR JUDGEMENT AND VERY DISINGENUOUS to say that the changing the make of (now proven suspect) alloy wheels invalidate the warranty, but to change the make of tyres will be OK.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2018/01/08 at 12:43 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

El Nino Guest

OK, this is now getting ridiculous. I want to fit AT tyres on my Navara but am struggling to find the OEM size of 255/60/18. I can find 265/60/18 which results in an increase of 1.5% in overall diameter. Being paranoid I checked with Nissan SA and again they tell me that it can negatively affect my warranty.

Next they'll tell me that I can only fit Toyo Open Country tyres as originally fitted.

OK, this is now getting ridiculous. I want to fit AT tyres on my Navara but am struggling to find the OEM size of 255/60/18. I can find 265/60/18 which results in an increase of 1.5% in overall diameter. Being paranoid I checked with Nissan SA and again they tell me that it can negatively affect my warranty.

Next they'll tell me that I can only fit Toyo Open Country tyres as originally fitted.
    Serious question here. If you changed to that diameter, for example, would insurance also be affected? Can they repudiate a claim based on tyres fitted not being the exact specification as per manufacturer.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

El Nino Guest

Good question, anyone on the forum have experience?

El Nino Guest

Just got a call from Nissan SA, nice surprise. Turns out that they won't necessarily turn down a warranty claim if the claim was for example on the engine. If a dealership can prove that any claim was as a result of changing the overall diameter of a tyre then yes a claim could be turned down.

Just got a call from Nissan SA, nice surprise. Turns out that they won't necessarily turn down a warranty claim if the claim was for example on the engine. If a dealership can prove that any claim was as a result of changing the overall diameter of a tyre then yes a claim could be turned down.
    My point exactly! You should have again asked that person about the rims affecting the engine warranty!

lizardalpha, Insurance companies are not too concerned with "exact" specifications, just about legality of vehicle, eg
    * Tyres are bald
    * Tyres have a lower speed rating of what the speed capabilities of the vehicles are. (e.g. in the case of a roll-over/tyre burst)
    Here a lot of MTR tyres are "guilty". Your vehicle comes with a tyre rated for say 180 speed rating ("S") but the MTR is a "Q" rated tyre, only rated for 160 kph. The manufacturer says the top speed is say 175km/h.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2018/01/09 at 12:25 PM.
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

Well, in this case I am screwed... I fitted 265 65 18 BFs, and the Navara was with Nissan twice after fitment. The 1st visit was to replace the transfer case under warranty, and the 2nd visit for 30k service. Not a WORD from the dealer.
    Tough times don't last, but tough men do

2019 Ford Everest 3.2 Ltd
    2018 BMW R1200 GSA LC
    2016 Conqueror Companion

El Nino Guest

@Ou Ryperd, how you finding the 265/65/18? How has it affected your speedo/odo?
    Last edited by El Nino; 2018/01/10 at 08:34 AM.

@Ou Ryperd, how you finding the 265/65/18? How has it affected your speedo/odo?
    Speedo 120km/h, GPS shows 118km/h. More accurate. Slight increase in fuel consumption, from ave 9,7 down to 9,3km/l.
    Last edited by Ou Ryperd; 2018/01/11 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Thanks mvcoller ;-)
    Tough times don't last, but tough men do

2019 Ford Everest 3.2 Ltd
    2018 BMW R1200 GSA LC
    2016 Conqueror Companion

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ou Ryperd For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ou Ryperd View Post
    Slight drop in fuel consumption, from ave 9,7 down to 9,3km/l.
    Actually it should read "Slight increase in fuel consumption" or "slight drop in fuel economy".
    You used to go as far as 9.7 km on one litre, now you get 400m less per litre, so consumption has increased!

BUT

That may not be quite true. Remember, with bigger tyres your kilometer is now effectively longer (hence your speedo is more accurate). So it may "look" like you get 400m less distance per litre but the real distance you can now travel on one litre may be the same or even slightly further....
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2018/01/11 at 12:21 AM.
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast