Hello from Zambia!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hello from Zambia!

Hi everyone,

We just want to introduce ourselves as new users. We live in the Kafue National Park in Zambia (currently the largest park in Africa) and we run a largish lodge and satellite camp called Mukambi Safari Lodge and Busanga Plains Camp. We have been in Zambia for 9 months having spent the previous 6 years in Mozambique. We are SA born and bred.

We have a distinct wet and dry season here so most of the dry season is work, work, work but for the rest we are able to do 1000's of km around this part of Africa. Zambia is surrounded by 7 different African country which obviously puts us in the perfect spot to do some serious travelling. We "circumnavigated" Zambia in Nov/Dec and what a country! Not for the faint hearted as it is seriously underdeveloped as far as tourism goes. We loved it though. Our next trip is back to Namibia and Bots.

Our vehicle is rigged with an Outback Products alu canopy and an Outback Products penthouse tent. We travel with 2 National Luna fridges and all the rest that opens and shuts.

Well, that's about all!
    Regards,
    Jacques and Linda

Hi Jacques,

Welcome to the forum. Also a fairly new member, but have picked up good advice! We are planning a trip to Zambia in 2010 - during the soccer season - to get away from all the masses! Have just returned from 3 weeks in Namibia (mainly in Caprivi)!

All the best
    Andy

Thanks very much! Please be sure to stay in touch and come past out way. This is a fabulous park and quite a unique lodge. We have a hippo Basil who likes to sleep on our porch, we have a bush buck Bucky with a cleft lip, a warthog Lucky who will only sleep under the deck, an elephant Fred who wrecks our trees and scares the bejeezers out of the guests and a wonderful park full of game. Zambia is great, albeit totally backwards when it comes to tourism. Please let us know if you need any help planning your route.

DON'T MISS:
    Luiwa Plains (serious 4x4)
    Kapishya Hot Springs
    Mutinondo
    Lake Bengwuelu and Kasanka for the bats
    Busanga Plains

Try come in the dry season Jul-Nov

Welcome Jacques & Linda...........we will bump into each other rather sooner than later. Enjoy Zambia and this cummunity! What coms do you guys have out there .... VSAT?

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, we have VSAT - works like a charm. Come our way sometime. Always a cold beer and soon a spare bedroom in our nearly finished house.

Thirstie, I feel like packing now.........but for work responsibilities
    Wifey dear is chasing me as she wants to go to the boat club here in Ndola......not that there are any boats arround but its our local watering hole and food not to bad and at a good price!

If possible please let me have your camps waypoints. Have you guys got camping spots?

Cheers

Bertie

Mmm, I know what you mean. Work can be a real cramp, gets in the way of our travelling!

No camping at the moment. Will be building a new one shortly, just waiting for Zawa to give us the go ahead on a land extension. But let me know when you want to come and we will make a plan. Email me on [email protected]. Will then send you way points. If you have T4A we are just off the tar road from Lusaka as you hit the Kafue boundry which is the bridge over the Kafue. That's on the Lusaka - Mongu Rd.

Hi guys, and welcome to the forum,

Spent a month in Kafue last June/July and it is pure magic - we spent one night quite close to you at Mayukuyuku just before the Hook bridge. Couldn't get through to Busanga because it was still under water because of the late rains.
    Have you met up with Tom and Viv Heineken at Kaingu Lodge yet? Great people with a wonderful camp on the river. And if you haven't visited McBrides you should head across there - Chris and Charlotte McBride are also interesting characters with wonderful lion knowledge. They have some new lions that have moved into their area - here's an extract from an e-mail Chris sent me last week "New lions over the river, think I mentioned, since August last year, an there was some lovely roaring last night....can't remember if I mentioned a three-pawed lion called Triton, has no left back paw, quite healthy looking and in good shape, about 3.5-4 years old, also on the West bank, came in about August ".
    My trip report on our Zambian trip is in the Overland/Zambia section of this website.

Tony
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Thank you Tony. Glad to be a member!

We know Tom/Viv and Chris/Charlotte very well - great people. We are terrible trio who bother Zawa all the time to try and get this park on the map. Also know Tom and Chris thru the old Natal Parks Board. My dad worked for them for 37 years in the St Lucia area and later in the Drakensberg where Tom's family come from.

Next time you come to Zambia head further north and don't miss visiting the Liuwa Plains on the way. Liuwa is why we all own 4x4's! Man, did we have fun! Went to Liuwa, on to the source of the Zambezi (the "black forests" are the most beautiful you have ever seen - can wild camp any where), then on to the Copperbelt, thru the DRC pedicle onto Lake Benguelu, up to Tanganyika (doing the falls along the way), back to Kapisha Hot Springs and Mutinondo. Awsome trip. Sadly not another traveller at any of the places we stayed except at the source of the Zambezi.

Liuwa next time indeed - we had planned on doing Liuwa last trip and had it all organised with Craig Reid and the African Parks folk, but fell so in love with Kafue we extended our stay there. I've worked in Lower Zambezi and North Luangwa before, but had never been to Kafue, so decided to really explore it properly (just a pity about Busanga).
    Good luck with Zawa - I spent three months e-mailing them about our last trip without a single reply.

Tony
    Tony Weaver

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

We have a camp in the Busanga. We also offer self drive options. Will also make a deal if you book last minute. Stay in touch. Visit our website www.mukambi.com or email me on [email protected].

Craig was just here and apparently they have found oil near Liuwa. He is on his way to a meeting to get the skinny on it. If it is not close to the park then they will benefit hugely with the infastructure it will bring to that area including the whole of Barotseland. Will see when he gets back.

Will definitely make a plan next time we come to Zambia - busy planning a Madagascar trip at the moment. Oil in Barotseland sounds like bad, bad news. I had heard that there had been a promising strike somewhere closer to the Congo border, but if it's anywhere close to Liuwa, then there goes the wilderness. Please keep us posted in the Zambia section of the Overland category.

Cheers

Tony
    Tony Weaver

Dont worry about oil in Barotseland.........this rumour has been going for years and still nothing to show. Something like smoke and mirrors and if you believe in wizzards, then there might be oil!
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2009/01/19 at 07:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Thirstie, well of all the best places to be on the planet, and all the bestest jobs...... am green with envy !! Sounds fantastic.
    Hopefully I can come visit one day!!
    Enjoy enjoy!
    Toyota Hilux 2.5 D4D SRX https://www.facebook.com/wild.safaris.5/

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Ghandi

You said you drove thru the DRC pedicle. Did you cross via the new bridge? What kind of documenation did you need to do this and do you remember the fees.?

Robbie

Welcome Thirstie,

From one ex-Zambian to a neo-Zambian... you are currentlly in one of my top 2 places in the world. Spent some time at Italian rocks (small place owned then by Willie Botha of Lusaka West.

ALso spent time, many years ago, at Ali Watsons camp on the Lunga / Luswish past the hand ferry.

It simply does not get better than Kafue NP... good luck and enjoy

Regards
    Gary

p.s. if you require any info / contacts in Lusaka, Kabwe or Mazabuka let me know
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

Hello Andy

We are planning a trip to the Caprivi in May this year - would like to do a bit of Tiger fishing. Are from PE - looking at going to Bots via Kimberley, around the western side of the Delta, into the Caprivi, and then home again via Kasane, Nata etc. Only place we have read much about is Kalizo Lodge & Ngepi(?) Camp. Will be camping, in a VW Transporter + trailer - not 4 x 4. Any advise you can give would be most welcome.

Default Welcome

Hi Guys & welcome, I am going to be in Kafue with a few friends during July (9 nights). We are starting in the south and ending at Lufapa - chose Lufapa because we would love to get into the Busanga Plains and understood that to be the last camp from which a day drive can be done to the plains - we are camping as we cannot afford the big US$ lodges! Tony says it was too wet last July - do you have any update on conditions or is it too early to tell if we will be able to get to the plains + do you have any other advice for us on getting to the plains? Regards, Paolo

Yes, we crossed the pedicle. What passport do you hold? It was one of those funny african borders where it appears to be from some time warp 100 years ago. No problems at all, bridge perfect. Must have a yellow fever card though. Paid approx $30 for both sides, each taking about 45mins for Zam and DRC. The biggest pain in the butt are the Zamiban cops from Kitwe to the border. Just make sure all is in order on your vehicle.

They didn't ask for visa - I think they let you travel "in transit".
    Last edited by Thirstie; 2009/01/24 at 08:58 PM.

Hi Paulo,

Hell, I hope we can access the Plains by then as I already have reservations for that time of year! So, yes, you should be able to get there. Just remember your game viewing won't be as good as later on. How many people will you be? Perhaps you can spend a night with us? We are just near the turnoff to Kafue North. Chat on [email protected]

Also, in the meantime I am going to contact Tree tops and see what their policy is about casual campers. They mainly take school groups but I have heard they will take campers if there are groups in. That will place you MUCH closer to the plains. If you are here in the first 2 weeks of July then I can check with the directors, they may give me permission to let you go to our camp and do your own thing.

Ciao for now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast