Which birding app for my iPad?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which birding app for my iPad?

I need some guidance. I have an iPad, and would like to load a birding app. I know people tend to push the product they bought, but if I could ask the question this way - if you knew then what you know now, which birding app will you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Default Re: Which birding app for my iPad?

Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    I need some guidance. I have an iPad, and would like to load a birding app. I know people tend to push the product they bought, but if I could ask the question this way - if you knew then what you know now, which birding app will you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
    I had Roberts on an old Windows phone and now Sasol on my Android tablet. Except for some slight differences in the interface the actual detail should be the same, or so I believe.

I went for Sasol a couple of years ago as I could not carry my Roberts licence over from Windows to Android and Sasol was cheaper. I have not checked the pricing lately. At the time the difference was substantial. At the time Sasol did not have the photos only the sketches. In my opinion the Roberts illustrations were better. Now with the photos in the Sasol app it is much better. The bird calls on Sasol suck compared to the sound on the Roberts app I had years ago. I doubt that the sounds would have became worse over the years. Some times there would be more than one call that makes it difficult to figure out the correct one. The overall sound quality was better on Roberts.

Another small simple thing on Sasol is that one can change the language between English and Afrikaans. However, it is only be names that change from the one to the other. The illustrative text remains English, that is not a great problem. At the end of the text it gives the bird name in Afrikaans which is great if the language is set to English as one can see the Afrikaans name. However, when the language is set to Afrikaans, the text is still in English as mentioned above including the Afrikaans name. It would have been great if this could have at least changed to English. But that is being petty.

Other than that, I don't have any experience with the latest Roberts app. As I have Sasol now, it works for me and changing over to Roberts is not very high on the priority list.
    Last edited by Daniek; 2018/01/03 at 08:21 PM.

Definitely Roberts. May be more expensive but it works great on ipad and has pictures and drawings. A lot more background data as well.
    Steve
    Jetta 2.0 TDI 2012
    Pajero 3.2 SWB 2009
    Jurgens Xcape
    Discovery II TD5 2004 (Sold)

The Sasol App is cheaper and accordingly has less information (nearly a mirror of the bird book with additional calls). Roberts provides much more detail on the birds than one would find in a field identification book (identification, voice, distribution, movements, habitat etc). Roberts also provides different types of calls of the same bird and many different pictures of male/female, juveniles, eggs and other diagnostic aspects. Roberts takes more space on the iPad because of this. I have both, but nowadays seldom consult the Sasol.
    Andrew

Land Cruiser 76 (4.2)

Very happy with Roberts on the iPad.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Thanks for the feedback thus far. Price is not the issue here, but ease of use, and then, I grew up on a farm in an Afrikaans speaking environment where the birds were also Afrikaans.
    I suppose it is only Sasol that will give you the equivalent Afrikaans names.
    Last edited by Poen; 2018/01/04 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks for the feedback thus far. Price is not the issue here, but ease of use, and then, I grew up on a farm in an Afrikaans speaking environment where the birds were also Afrikaans.
    I suppose it is only Sasol that will give you the equivalent Afrikaans names.
    Nobody else commented on Afr vs Eng. The Windows version I had could be switched between Afrikaans and English and even between various Roberts versions. Like in the latest version a Black Eagle (Witkruisarend) is now called a Verrreaux's Eagle, etc.

In Roberts you can easily switch to afrikaans, works great. I often do it when I'm looking for a bird and I only know the afrikaans name.

It's also been very easy to transfer the app when you get new phones. It really is like having that massive book in the palm of your hand, it's actually better when you think it has the calls and more photos than the book. Roberts is definitely worth the extra cash
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton D/C 2.4 manual 4x4
    2004 Honda Jazz (wife's platkar)
    1998 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.0 V6 - SOLD
    2017 Ford Ranger XLS Auto 4x4 D/C - SOLD
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD D/C - SOLD

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeubok For This Useful Post:

I have both Sasol and Roberts and now only use Roberts. My son is a trails guide in the northern part of Kruger and he only uses the Roberts app now on his phone. He does not even carry the book anymore

Both apps can accommodate the switch in language. Both are good and both have their positive and negative points. I like the drawings in the Sasol app. Beware that photos can be misleading in identification as there is variety. Which ever you choose your books will collect dust.

Only Robert's for me

The only "downside" to the roberts is that you need to validate the license every 30 days. On our version we can only do this on wifi, it wont allow us to do it on 3g.

So if you plan to travel outside the country for longer than 30 days it could be an issue.

I would give them a call (or email) them to ask.

I know they were looking into changing the validation, but not sure if it has been done.

And finally, the latest comments on the play store for the sasol app are not very encouraging.

Never validated my app in 5 yrs unless this is done automatically

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dudleytheplumber For This Useful Post:

I have both Roberts and Sasol and I cannot recall when last I used Sasol. Only advantages Sasol over Roberts is a) Price and b) Smaller memory size - as far as I am aware.

Benefits of Roberts as mentioned already - Much more info - I especially use the "Confusing species" part of Roberts to assist with ID, and then the bigger variety of calls a lot.

Both programs have an Afrikaans option, however Sasol only show the bird names in Afrikaans when Afrikaas is selected and all the text remain in English whereas on the Roberts, the text in the Field Guide section is also in Afrikaans. Names in other languages are also available, IE German, French, Portuguese, Dutch and in some cases the other local languages IE also Sotho for the multilingual Free State birds.

I have never had validation issues while using it on i-Phone, i-Pad or the PC version on PC.

Save, you will not regret.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JP vd Merwe For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys, I loaded Roberts on my iPad this afternoon. My first impressions were that I am being taken back in time to the days of DOS and floppy discs. The next challenge was the lack of some sort of tutorial. For the price one would expect some guidance in the use of the app. And then, there is only one orientation and that is portrait. No landscape option.

Am I missing something or am I just simply spoilt with latter day apps in terms of user friendliness? Advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks guys, I loaded Roberts on my iPad this afternoon. My first impressions were that I am being taken back in time to the days of DOS and floppy discs. The next challenge was the lack of some sort of tutorial. For the price one would expect some guidance in the use of the app. And then, there is only one orientation and that is portrait. No landscape option.

Am I missing something or am I just simply spoilt with latter day apps in terms of user friendliness? Advice will be much appreciated.
    I remember when I bought the app it was quite complicated to download. Bit once it's installed and working it's pretty easy to use. I've only ever used it on my phones so never tried to switch to landscape. I think you'll like it once you get used to it

Quote Originally Posted by Slowones View Post
    The only "downside" to the roberts is that you need to validate the license every 30 days. On our version we can only do this on wifi, it wont allow us to do it on 3g.

So if you plan to travel outside the country for longer than 30 days it could be an issue.

I would give them a call (or email) them to ask.

I know they were looking into changing the validation, but not sure if it has been done.

And finally, the latest comments on the play store for the sasol app are not very encouraging.
    If this is really an issue, connect the device to the wifi hotspot of another device/phone.
    Then it will treat the connection as Wifi.
    Flip

Member: 4x4 Action Group - GP0026 & Suzuki4x4GP
    Awesome: Suzuki Jimny;

Quote Originally Posted by Leeubok View Post
    In Roberts you can easily switch to afrikaans, works great. I often do it when I'm looking for a bird and I only know the afrikaans name.
    Please advise how one switch to Afrikaans. It looks as if I have a lot to learn, and in need of a tutor.

Also, say I am in a caravan park near Mosselbay, how do I locate the birds in that area?

Please advise how one switch to Afrikaans. It looks as if I have a lot to learn, and in need of a tutor.

Also, say I am in a caravan park near Mosselbay, how do I locate the birds in that area?
    Hi poen. Regs bo is so wielietjie wat options oopmaak. Daaronder is die language setting.
    Dan as jy voeltjies wil id volgens area of watookal, regs onder is in die main page is da opsie identification. Dan kan jy kies volgens area (dit neem n GPS punt van wa jy is)

Quote Originally Posted by Leeubok View Post
    Hi poen. Regs bo is so wielietjie wat options oopmaak. Daaronder is die language setting.
    Dan as jy voeltjies wil id volgens area of watookal, regs onder is in die main page is da opsie identification. Dan kan jy kies volgens area (dit neem n GPS punt van wa jy is)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast