Default Ranger on dirt roads

We did a bit of dirt road travelling over the weekend in the Free State. Around 110km of dirt road and I can honestly say the Ranger takes a dirt road like a dream. I have done dirt roads in many other vehicles and I can honestly say the Ranger is by far the best drive on a bad dirt road. Tyres deflated to 1.8 bar and it feels like tar road.
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Ranger on dirt roads

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    We did a bit of dirt road travelling over the weekend in the Free State. Around 110km of dirt road and I can honestly say the Ranger takes a dirt road like a dream. I have done dirt roads in many other vehicles and I can honestly say the Ranger is by far the best drive on a bad dirt road. Tyres deflated to 1.8 bar and it feels like tar road.
    I have to agree on the Ranger. I don't have experience in other bakkies on gravel though. I always switch to 4H on gravel and my experience is that I really have to go hooligan for the traction control to even start kicking in.

I also had good experiences in my 2012 4x4 2.2 Supercab without traction control.

I always have some load in the back and as you have mentioned, correct tyre pressure. I did a Lesotho trip once as support vehicles to some adventure bikers in my 4x2 Supercab. Drove most of the time without load at the back. At some stage I had to load one of the GS's on the back. It was great on the gravel without a load but excellent with the weight. And I am sure it will be similar in most bakkies.
    Live life to the fullest....no matter what!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniek For This Useful Post:

Agreed, also agree on proper tyre pressure and of course being aware of the difference in behaviour when empty vs. loaded. Most people who complain about bakkies and their roadholding on dirt roads think that high tyre pressures and an unladen bakkie will behave the same on dirt as on tar...
    ZS6VL

6. The Following User Says Thank You to An3s For This Useful Post:

FWM

i plan on doing a 200km trip on a road that i've ridden my DR650 (motorcycle) on a whole mess of times. it's rocky and not much fun in a four wheeled vehicle. my concern is if i lower the tire pressure too much, i will run the risk of a puncture from some of the sharper rocks.

what pressure would you all recommend?

I found the wide open mouth grill ranger much improved over the silver slotted grill ranger, which I thought was twitchy.
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

9. The Following User Says Thank You to OwenD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by termnalvee View Post
    i plan on doing a 200km trip on a road that i've ridden my DR650 (motorcycle) on a whole mess of times. it's rocky and not much fun in a four wheeled vehicle. my concern is if i lower the tire pressure too much, i will run the risk of a puncture from some of the sharper rocks.

what pressure would you all recommend?
    What tyres do you have on and how much load will you be carrying?
    Willie Knoetze

I do a lot of dirt roads, generally my tyres are always at 2.5 bar front and back as I travel a lot. Keep the tyres at 2.5 when doing dirt roads as I am too lazy to deflate and inflate the whole time. It handles dirt roads really well, never bounces around even when unloaded. Really impressed with the bakkie
    Kenneth

2020 Mercedes X - Class X250 4x4 Power

When I know that I will do a lot of gravel, I will deflate to 2 front and back unless I carry some load where I will increase it according to the load. Normal tar road I run front and back on 2.3.

(265/65 R17)
    Live life to the fullest....no matter what!

Also on 265/65/17.
    Tar roads I tend to go a bit higher - 2.8+
    Gravel around 2, unless there are loads of sharp rocks, then I go a bit higher

On tar mine is on 2.5 bar
    On gravel 2.2 front and 2.0 rear.

If loaded adjust according to the load
    265/60R18
    Willie Knoetze

What tyres do you have on and how much load will you be carrying?
    OEM continentals. not great for off-road, but this road is fairly flat and dry. just lots of big fist-sized rocks, some rather pointy.

load will be quite minimal, say 100 kilos. just luggage and a cooler full of good adult beverages!
    Last edited by termnalvee; 2018/01/05 at 03:16 PM.

Then 2.2 in front and 2.0 rear will be just fine. Just be careful of going lower and of those sharp edges of the rocks those Contis does not have very strong sidewalls
    Willie Knoetze

cheers!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to termnalvee For This Useful Post:

FWM

When I had my Ranger (2013 2.2 Supercab) I was on a project in the Western Cape/Karoo and we averaged 4-5k km a month just on gravel and farmers servitudes. I went through a set of tyres very quickly at 1.8 Bar. I dropped to 1.6 and never had a problem again. I did learn that engine braking in a 4x2 eats back tyres too. But on those long, beautiful Karoo roads the Ranger handled like a dream.

My current vehicle has air suspension so I am spoilt when it comes to comfort but I have had to sacrifice speed both on gravel and highway. My truck used to pull like a steam train.

Quote Originally Posted by termnalvee View Post
    OEM continentals. not great for off-road, but this road is fairly flat and dry. just lots of big fist-sized rocks, some rather pointy.

load will be quite minimal, say 100 kilos. just luggage and a cooler full of good adult beverages!
    With the standard contis I did Namibia gravel roads. Lowered the pressure to 1.8 all round and never had any issues. Got one puncture on tar roads in Botswana but easily plugged it, not on the sidewall tho
    Kenneth

2020 Mercedes X - Class X250 4x4 Power

I had the pre-facelift RANGER XL, and now drive the facelifted Ranger. Both singlecab.
    The old Bakkie was very tail happy when lightly loaded. No surprises there for a Bakkie without traction control.
    The new Bakkie is better by country miles, until you switch off the traction control. Then the back wheels break away just as easily as the old one.
    Long story short, the new ranger's electronics make it drive a lot better than with them switched off.

My “Bakkie” 2013 3.2 dc 4x4. Overall very happy on dirt roads with handling and about zero dust inside cabin. Seal the canopy with high density foam also anout zero dust. Did 4x4 trail a week ago Bojaanskop near Calitzdorp and no problem . The thing that impressed the most was the “Hill decent control” Also did Baviaans kloof .

Mine doesn't even have TC but with the correct tyre pressure it handles beautifully
    Willie Knoetze

I fully agree - I drive a 2017 2.2 Ranger DC 4x4 and did a trip through Namibia in June last year - all the way to Caprivi. Did about 1500 km dirt road and the road handling was excellent with very little cabin noise . the 5th gear is a jewel of a gear