Mabuasehube via Hukuntsi

Default Mabuasehube via Hukuntsi

On the 17th December 2017 we traveled to Mabuasehube East gate via Kang to Hukuntsi then down to the gate.
    I was driving a Fortuner with a Conquer Courage trailer and my friend was driving a Suzuki GV.
    Both vehicles did the trip without getting stuck and below are my notes for those wishing to do this route.

Kang to Hukuntsi is a very good tar road.
    Hukuntsi to Lokgwabe tar but extremely potholed !!!

The gravel road starts at Lokgwabe - when you see white sand it is gravel when you see red sand it is THICK sand and I suggest you use low range 4x4.

From Lokgwabe
    1. First 28km of gravel is good and then the very thick sand starts for 4km
    2. White gravel for 9km
    3. Thick sand for 5 km (41km from Lokgwabe)
    4. White gravel 11km
    5. Thick sand 7km (57km from Lokgwabe)
    6. After these patches of thick sand it remains sandy but can be done in High range 4x4
    7. The section running south down the fence line of the park is white gravel but quite corrugated.

I hope this helps anyone wishing to do this route

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dickr For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mabuasehube via Hukuntsi

Thanks DICKR - as we are planning such a trip next year.
    "To look is one thing, to understand what what you see, is something else"

Amarok AUTO 4X4
    Out fitted Offroad Trailer

Good morning and a happy new year Dickr
    Thanks for the info. We are planning a trip in April / May 2018 through Mabua, Nossob, and Mata Mata then into Namibia. How long did it take you from Hukuntsi to the eastern gate of Mabua?

Hi Daniel it took us about 3 hours from Hukuntsi to the gate. We also went through to Nossob - the 160km of the Nossob valley is sheer hell to drive. The 70km to Matopi 1 is very corrugated, for the remaining 90km extremely corrugated. About 20km before Nossob the high sand dunes begin - all I can say is make sure you have momentum we nearly got stuck there. On this road I destroyed my OME rear shocks and so did my friend in her Suzuki GV. Suggestion to all who do this route do not tow a trailer. Good luck and enjoy

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dickr For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dickr View Post
    Hi Daniel it took us about 3 hours from Hukuntsi to the gate. We also went through to Nossob - the 160km of the Nossob valley is sheer hell to drive. The 70km to Matopi 1 is very corrugated, for the remaining 90km extremely corrugated. About 20km before Nossob the high sand dunes begin - all I can say is make sure you have momentum we nearly got stuck there. On this road I destroyed my OME rear shocks and so did my friend in her Suzuki GV. Suggestion to all who do this route do not tow a trailer. Good luck and enjoy
    Hi Dick, I've got to drive that route in March from Nossob to Mpaya 1 towing a trailer and from the sounds of things the drive is a nightmare! Are there any alternatives?
    2015 Land Rover Defender 110 (Sadly sold )
    2020 Land Rover Defender 110 (On order )
    Instagram: african_rover
    Twitter: african_rover

There are no alternatives. Just take it as slow as possible on the corrugations and buckle even down tight

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dickr For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMark View Post
    Hi Dick, I've got to drive that route in March from Nossob to Mpaya 1 towing a trailer and from the sounds of things the drive is a nightmare! Are there any alternatives?
    Hi, there is an alternative, but you may need to change a night to TR. Make sure you cross the border at TR and drive via Two Rivers onto the new tar rd to Tsabong and go in the east gate that way. You could also come out go KTP and go to Gemsbock border crossing into bots that way. Again pick up the new tar rd.

All depends on your appetite for risk. Many people here are very competent and experienced drivers that have driven that route many times. Unfortunately there have been problems on that rd ranging from broken down suspension systems to broken trailers and a few head ons over the dunes. The above proposed route is longer but a lot of tar, with the added bonus of a large town to top off fuel and supplies on the way.

Whichever you choose, have a great time.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

I agree with Stranger that is an alternative sorry I did not think of that

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dickr For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Hi, there is an alternative, but you may need to change a night to TR. Make sure you cross the border at TR and drive via Two Rivers onto the new tar rd to Tsabong and go in the east gate that way. You could also come out go KTP and go to Gemsbock border crossing into bots that way. Again pick up the new tar rd.

All depends on your appetite for risk. Many people here are very competent and experienced drivers that have driven that route many times. Unfortunately there have been problems on that rd ranging from broken down suspension systems to broken trailers and a few head ons over the dunes. The above proposed route is longer but a lot of tar, with the added bonus of a large town to top off fuel and supplies on the way.

Whichever you choose, have a great time.
    Thanks for the useful advice! I think we'll brave it and just be mentally prepared for a long, bouncy day!
    2015 Land Rover Defender 110 (Sadly sold )
    2020 Land Rover Defender 110 (On order )
    Instagram: african_rover
    Twitter: african_rover

If I can give any advice, when you see the dunes, stop, turn your engine off and listen. If someone is storming the dune from the other side, you may well hear it.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    If I can give any advice, when you see the dunes, stop, turn your engine off and listen. If someone is storming the dune from the other side, you may well hear it.
    Good useful advise - was trying to come up with ideas on how to limit meeting another vehicle at the top of a dune. Thanks
    "To look is one thing, to understand what what you see, is something else"

Amarok AUTO 4X4
    Out fitted Offroad Trailer

18. The Following User Says Thank You to XisBo For This Useful Post: