Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sand driving

Default Sand driving

Good day all i have a problem with sand driving I'm rather new to the 4x4 scene.I do deflate my tyres to .8 bar and i use low range but some how i still get stuck i also pull away in 2nd gear in low range do i stay in 2nd gear or change to 3rd when the motor revs high but that's when i usually get stuck.I would really appreciate some expert advise from the pro's please.Ps i drive a colt 2.8tdi double cab.thank you guys in advance.

Default Re: Sand driving

The other important thing in sand driving is momentum, keep your momentum going!
    Andre Botha
    2006 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB, Gomad bash plates. Monroe Adventure shocks.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andre For This Useful Post:

Geezz Jordan, it is difficult to say what you are doing wrong. In sticky sand it is perhaps better to stay in second gear. It sounds like you might just be short of a little power to carry you over to third gear. Are you on level ground? Uphill is difficult to get into third.

But diesels are not the best vehicles to play in the sand. Join the next trip to Atlantis, the guys will help you.
    Last edited by Chris Stoffel; 2017/12/30 at 06:58 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Stoffel For This Useful Post:

Jordan, the place where you stop is also important - always try stropping om level ground. Let the engine "pull" the car to a stop, don't use the brake pedal. Good to pull away in 2nd low range, then rather keep it in 2nd for a while until you feel it is now running "on top" of the sand before you change. Always pull away with you steering in a "straight line", do not pull away and turn at the same time. Hope this helps
    SJ 413 - "98 model coily, until son gets license
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jordan6 View Post
    Good day all i have a problem with sand driving I'm rather new to the 4x4 scene.I do deflate my tyres to .8 bar and i use low range but some how i still get stuck i also pull away in 2nd gear in low range do i stay in 2nd gear or change to 3rd when the motor revs high but that's when i usually get stuck.I would really appreciate some expert advise from the pro's please.Ps i drive a colt 2.8tdi double cab.thank you guys in advance.
    Not sure if you are referring to flat terrain or dunes.

If flat, also try high range. Engine high revving and you getting stuck tells me you are in too a low gear possible. Remember sand is not equal everywhere, so my point is reference is mainly beach type sand.

Second gear low will definitely sounds too low for sand, I would try 1st high, or 3rd low.

You want to start off slowly, and do not apply to much torque to get away otherwise you will dig in.

It also greatly varies from vehicle to vehicle, for example. I used to drive a 3.8 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, and always had to use low range, high range in the 3.8 meant high revs and not going anywhere. Now I have recently changed to a 3.6 Rubicon, totally different in sand. With the 3.6 I can drive in high range, without deflating too much.

Something else, coast to a stop, do not break hard as the vehicle digs in then, making it difficult to pull away again.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

As said before, it depends on the condition of the sand. The best would be to have someone with experience give you some guidance.
    some other thoughts: don't brake on sand. Rather let your vehicle roll to a stop. Before pulling off, reverse a meter or so in your own track. This will compact the surface and you won't have that little wall in front of your tyres. If possible park your vehicle with the nose pointing down hill.
    Make wide turns and if possible make the turn downhill.
    Momentum is your friend, hesitation is your foe.
    keep the engine revs up and don't change gears if the vehicle is struggling.
    Marais Viljoen

Instagram @overland.southernafrica

I try not to change gear while driving on sand - you lose momentum especially if the sand is hot / dry and deep.
    I don't deflate below 1.4, even then can get sand between the tire bead and rim causing a slow leak.
    Some good advise above.
    If you have a choice then try doing the sandy stretches in the early part of the day while the sand may still have some moisture in it.
    Enjoy your journeys.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    I don't deflate below 1.4, even then can get sand between the tire bead and rim causing a slow leak.
    Depends on the tyre, on my D3 and the Jeep with Coopers I deflate to 1 bar often, lowest I have ever gone was 0.6/0.7 on the Maxxis Bighorns (33")

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Isuzu's are good sand driving vehicles, usually they dont have the power to dig themselves in.

As said all to do what tyre and and size, and off course the sand type.

But agree dont deflate lower then needed. The lower the more abuse on the tyre, but if have to, go down to 0.8. I haven't seen sand where you cant get away with 0.8 yet. But with mari biscuits and a 1 ton load you will still struggle.

It helps a lot when got stuck is to move backwards and forwards to compact the track, without spinning the wheels, before you bury yourself, till it moves.

Now when we were in the Namaqua park everybody recommend 1.2 , but with a caravan it doesn't work. After we got stuck we deflate to 0.8 and drove away.
    Last edited by JLK; 2017/12/31 at 10:05 AM.
    Johan Kriel

I think Jordan need some experience and he must still learn what his vehicle want and can to do in sand.
    But Jordan is on the right track, soon he will shred the dunes.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan6 View Post
    A bit off topic but if you do a lot of sand driving let your next vehicle be an auto. I have tried both manual and auto, in different types of sandy conditions ( coastal sand in Moz, desert In Namibia and others) and the Auto is so much easier, especilally if like me you are not too much of a skilled sand driver. I usually deflate and then let the auto take over. Often i got out of sand without even using the high/low range lever, just engage 4x4 on the button. At times even in 4x2, when some manual vehicles were labouring.Cheers

What tyres are fitted to your bakkie Jordan?

You can rev high and move forward better than changing down and getting stuck.

Staying in the power band probably more important than changing gear. I often just stay in lr 2nd or 3rd the whole day.

Also found performance better in my colt when I had some load in the rear.
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

17. The Following User Says Thank You to OwenD For This Useful Post:

Keep revs higher (>2250rpm) and don't change gears too early. Keep throttle constant (no jerking) and as others stated, momentum is key (keep moving).

Your tyre pressure of 0.8 is good for sand. In Namib dunes you sometimes go as low as 0.4bar.
    Riaan

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 GX-R
    2019 Toyota Hilux Extracab 2.8GD6 4x4
    2018 Bush Lapa Ratel 4 (B1244)

Am I right that you have the option of selection between 4x2 and 4x4? If so, are you sure that you are in 4x4?

Is your vehicle fitted with a difflock and does it work correctly?
    I'm gonna put a curse on you and all your kids will be born completely naked.

Stop granny shifting

Said with a wink

I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Don't fight the sand and know where your wheels are pointing.
    Take dunes perpendicular. Beware vehicle can easily roll on side slope.
    You might just be pushing to hard and/or stopping wrong.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Check if 4x4 is working properly.
    My first isuzu (1986 kbd 2.2D Dcab – still in use today) had these “automatic locking devices”.( No need to get out of the car when engaging 4x4!!!) All seemed normal, but the one on the front right wheel was broken inside. All power from the front diff went to the axle that had least resistance...the wheel with the broken mechanism. I was also wondering why I got stuck till I checked out the car.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to mudhara For This Useful Post:

Jordan, are you sure you're in a 4x4 and not riding a bicycle? Worth a check.

Questions about tyre type seem to be unanswered and this may hold the key. If your tyres are low profile you will always have a problem in sand irrespective of pressure, because low profile tyres cannot increase their footprint length much when you deflate them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast