Kenya - New Customs Regulations regarding Foreign Vehicle Permits

Default Kenya - New Customs Regulations regarding Foreign Vehicle Permits

Hi All,

Here is a link to the new foreign vehicle importation regulation coming into effect on 1 Jan 2018.

http://www.kra.go.ke/notices/pdf2017...its_colour.pdf

My interpretation is that a new Foreign Vehicle Permit is now required if you intend to operate a foreign registered vehicle in Kenya for more than 14 days AND that your free Temporary Importation of Road Vehicles form C32 must also be renewed at a border post (only!) every 14 days if you intend to stay longer.
    It appears that in order to obtain a Foreign Vehicle Permit you will require, at least, a C32 (T.I.P), COMESA insurance, valid CdP and your vehicle papers.

Furthermore, just to make things really inconvenient, it appears to me that in order to exit Kenya after your 13 day holiday (because you have ingeniously set aside an extra day to deal with all the bloody bureaucracy) you will need a valid "C32/Carnet and a Foreign Permit". Its ambiguous but thats what it says.

There are also useful contacts listed at the bottom of the notice which I shall contact for more info.

Good luck Travellers..!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gone Cruisin' For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Kenya - New Customs Regulations regarding Foreign Vehicle Permits

I am investigating this through my contacts in Kenya - and have also put the question to my contact in the Kenya Association of Tour Operators. Hopefully, I will get a reply (as in the past) from KATO and the relevant government ministry.

I am of the opinion that what you saw was aimed at the the goods traffic and not tourists. Please see below:

http://www.kra.go.ke/notices/noticeu...les021204.html

Thanks for this. I see that this notice is dated 2004.?
    i am returning to Nairobi tomorrow to resume our trip south and will update this with anything useful.
    i entered Kenya from Ethiopia via the western side of Turkana a few weeks ago so only have a stamped carnet at present.
    i have sent emails to the NTSA and KRA asking for clarity but not had a response yet.
    thanks..!

Please let us know how you get on. I presume you got a foreign vehicle road tax from Kenyan customs (either in Nairobi or Eldoret) after having come down the western side of Lake Turkana and that it will still be valid when you exit Kenya. I am of the opinion that this whole issue is aimed at trucking operators who keep foreign trucks in Kenya.

I havenít heard back from my contacts in the Kenya Association of Tour Operators yet.

I have written to the emails at the bottom of the notice as well to request clarification. We shall see..I'll revert back if I learn anything.

I was able to get a foreign vehicle permit/TIP for our land cruiser at no charge at the Isabania border crossing, using our vehicle registration, our Tanzania TIP and COMESA.

We only requested two weeks, which fit our plans, I do not know how hard it would be to get one for longer or extend. From the customs officer it sounded like it could be extended at a customs office. Obviously a carnet would be an option for a longer timeframe.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    I was able to get a foreign vehicle permit/TIP for our land cruiser at no charge at the Isabania border crossing, using our vehicle registration, our Tanzania TIP and COMESA.

We only requested two weeks, which fit our plans, I do not know how hard it would be to get one for longer or extend. From the customs officer it sounded like it could be extended at a customs office. Obviously a carnet would be an option for a longer timeframe.
    I was told by Chris at Jungle Junction that extending the foreign vehicle permit is easy. One had to go on to the Kenyan governmentís ecitizen website and pay there.

I donít have to do it so cannot comment...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Hi,

Do we have any updates in this matter?

Does this affect maximum Carnet validity (renewal every 14 days) or is this the case only if you are on a TIP?

Fredrik
    Fredrik Arnell

1992 Toyota Land Cruiser HZJ70
    1999 Toyota Land Cruiser HZJ75 Troopie
    2014 Toyota Land Cruiser HZJ76
    2000 Toyota Land Cruiser HZJ79
    1993 Toyota Land Cruiser HDJ80

Quote Originally Posted by fredrikarnell View Post
    Hi,

Do we have any updates in this matter?

Does this affect maximum Carnet validity (renewal every 14 days) or is this the case only if you are on a TIP?

Fredrik
    When we crossed back into Kenya at Namanga a few months ago (in our Kenyan registered vehicle), this notice http://www.kra.go.ke/notices/pdf2017...its_colour.pdf
    was pasted on to the customs desk.

The Foreign Vehicle Permit is effectively like a road tax. You still need either a Carnet or, from my understanding, the Form C32 as stated in the above notice. My understanding is that the C32 is like a Temporary Import Permit. The Foreign Vehicle Permit will be issued free for 14 days (with either a Carnet or a Form C32). For periods of time longer than 14 days, the Foreign Vehicle Permit can be, according to Chris at Jungle Junction, extended with a payment through the egovernment website.