Fortuner New 2,4 Auto Fortuner, 4x2,

Default New 2,4 Auto Fortuner, 4x2,

Guys need advise I am about to buy a 2.4 as a 2nd vehicle, driving a 2.8 Auto DC 4x4. Any issues with the Fortuner, what is the fuel consumption?

Default Re: New 2,4 Auto Fortuner, 4x2,

I currently have 5 Toyota's, (2.8 gd6 auto, bakkies, Cruiser, and down to d4d auto Fortuner), and over the past 10 years probably in total 15 Toyota's. As a rule we sell them when they hit 200000km. We service them ourselves. According to the book, timing belts at their time, and fan belts periodically, oil, oil filters, diesel filters and air cleaners every 10000km. To date not one other part. Not a single part has been replaced.
    To get to your question, yes buy the Toyota, mechanical issues you will not have, the 4x4's are heavier on juice, the autos slightly heavier than the manual but negligible. Go buy with confidence, hell, and the best is when you sell it on, you almost get your money back!

Quote Originally Posted by novice 2015 View Post
    I currently have 5 Toyota's, (2.8 gd6 auto, bakkies, Cruiser, and down to d4d auto Fortuner), and over the past 10 years probably in total 15 Toyota's. As a rule we sell them when they hit 200000km. We service them ourselves. According to the book, timing belts at their time, and fan belts periodically, oil, oil filters, diesel filters and air cleaners every 10000km. To date not one other part. Not a single part has been replaced.
    To get to your question, yes buy the Toyota, mechanical issues you will not have, the 4x4's are heavier on juice, the autos slightly heavier than the manual but negligible. Go buy with confidence, hell, and the best is when you sell it on, you almost get your money back!
    Amazing! So even the tyres, batteries,brakes etc have never needed replacing in all the years you have had Toyotas?

Batteries?, probably 3 or 4. The original Toyota batteries last 5 to 7 years, replace them with a Willard or Sabat they last 24 months and 1 day.
    Tyres?, 50000 to 70000km per set, Bridgstone is our tyre of choice, when they get close to finished we put them on a Cruiser.
    Shocks, I kid you not, in the past 10 to 15 years one broken shock was replaced on a Cruiser the other day. (4 new ones on a Pajero 6 months ago, R10500), We ride 30km poor gravel before we get anywhere. Brake pads and rear drums? If they only do farm work the replacements are almost nil (low speed), the bakkies that do the town run, periodically, I dont think I have ever replaced a disc or drum on a Toyota, pads and brake shoes, a few. Exhausts, none. Starter motors , none. Water pumps, none. Injectors, none. Bulbs and fuses,a few. Electrical gremlins, none! (go check Mercedes, BMW, VW and Audi, I sold my Audi A6 3.0TDI with 160000km on the other day due to an electrical gremlin that not even Audi could resolve, cost R20k, and counting, hi Tech German diesels are the devils work!)
    Cut back to the chase, consumables, brake pads, shocks, batteries, tyres, a few. Other parts none!
    Might I add, my neighbors use Nissan, Isuzu and Toyota, no worries with any of them, just as good as Toyota. However a few Fords around, ummm, different story, those boys are not so fortunate.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to novice 2015 For This Useful Post:

Some are very lucky, I also suppose the operating conditions affect it. My 2006 Fortuner was fully dealer serviced until I sold it last year. Replaced the water pump, 3 x clutches, front and rear diffs, alternator, rear gas struts, injectors, spiral cable under warranty. Replaced the front diff bearing and both propshafts, both lower control arms outside of warranty.

The nature of the 4x4 work done at the coast corrodes stuff to failure.

The reason I did not replace with the new Fortuner is that I just could not reconcile the bad ride quality.

The cost of ownership I believe to be less than other brands. I have driven the 4x2 Everest and apart from the heft of the body, it is a much more pleasant ride. Ultimately it is what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Richsav730 View Post
    Amazing! So even the tyres, batteries,brakes etc have never needed replacing in all the years you have had Toyotas?
    Bought new in 2008. After 420 000 km and 9 years I have replaced oil, filters, tyres, universal joints 3 times, one battery, one set front shocks, one set rear brake shoes, water pump, timing belts on schedule, one serpentine belt when the pump was replaced and injectors at 300 000 km. Could have even done better with better dealer service.
    Pieter
    ------
    2018 Fortuner 2.8 4x4

My son got the 2.4 4x4 the other day. A week in, he installed a race chip. Very happy with performance and fuel consumption with the chip.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    My son got the 2.4 4x4 the other day. A week in, he installed a race chip. Very happy with performance and fuel consumption with the chip.
    My son calls me this morning wanting to know if running the eco-power dial on the power end all the time can damage the engine? Tells me his fuel consumption is better the higher the power setting. And that's using the cruise control or driving himself.

Anybody else found this?
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

My son calls me this morning wanting to know if running the eco-power dial on the power end all the time can damage the engine? Tells me his fuel consumption is better the higher the power setting. And that's using the cruise control or driving himself.

Anybody else found this?
    Can't damage anything IMO as it is just a sensitivity/response setting and NOT more power.
    FJC - Just Cruising

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Also dont believe it can damaged anything. But he said that Fortuna goes like the clappers in power mode compared to econo. He was just surprises at the better fuel consumption. To me it kinda makes sense that with so much extra power, you need less boot action to get/keep things going.

Also dont believe it can damaged anything. But he said that Fortuna goes like the clappers in power mode compared to econo. He was just surprises at the better fuel consumption. To me it kinda makes sense that with so much extra power, you need less boot action to get/keep things going.
    We have the RAV with ECO/NORMAL/SPORT mode and i must say, ours gives better fuel consumption and performance in SPORT. Although i think on the auto petrol its merely revving longer before it changes but it feels better.
    A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us.
    John Steinbeck

There are actually three modes eco/normal/power.
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    Not sure if he has something different with the chip. He did say it was a dial, and he has only taken it up to around 60% so far. I'll ask him

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    He has two "dials"... The standard Fortuna three position, and then the chip has it's own dial. Trying to find out in what position he has each of the dials.

Second setting is on the chip.

He has not had it above this setting yet.

Slow poison killing an engine.

Sticks and stones and bones and words, but i have moved into a hidden cave
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

Quote Originally Posted by julius caesar View Post
    Slow poison killing an engine.

Sticks and stones and bones and words, but i have moved into a hidden cave
    Why you say that?

He tells me everything is just easier with the chip. Turbo spools faster, no lag on pull away. But it makes me wonder what the chip controls and changes. Can it change injector timing?

I'm old school, and found my old GTX Skyline to be better on fuel consumption after the chip conversion, if you drove it "normally". Bash it on a race day and things go south in a big way. The difference from 9km/l down to less than 2. But that was on a petrol, and i don't know what goes on in these new tech diesel engines.

Why you say that?

He tells me everything is just easier with the chip. Turbo spools faster, no lag on pull away. But it makes me wonder what the chip controls and changes. Can it change injector timing?

I'm old school, and found my old GTX Skyline to be better on fuel consumption after the chip conversion, if you drove it "normally". Bash it on a race day and things go south in a big way. The difference from 9km/l down to less than 2. But that was on a petrol, and i don't know what goes on in these new tech diesel engines.

Sani,
    I am old school too, but logic dictates that engine engineers produce engines operating not even close to their real potential, for reasons of longevity (correct term?) An engine able to produce say 500kw and 700nm max, will last much longer if down tuned to say 250kw and 500nm.

A good example is the 2002 1500cc BMW engine (2002 not year but model) the ugly small BMW's with round tail lights. According to a Discovery (?) program i watched, that engine, in second hand form was used as the first F1 turbo driven 1500cc when turbo engines had to be 1500cc compared to 3000cc standard FI engines. That engine took F1 world championship two years in a row and acc to program even today that engine is still used for souped up hotrods with turbos and superchargers, sometimes both. That engine was the exception to the rule and as much as i dislike BMW cars (not bikes) that i must admit is an engine block strong enough to be misused and abused to max without any problems.

Modern engine treated like that will simply blow up or fail miserably. MHO

Google"the best FI engine ever created"
    Last edited by julius caesar; 2018/03/03 at 10:03 PM.
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

Ok, i hear what you are saying. I'm grew up around Nissans, that you can do just about anything to, and they survive. My old GTX was done up to produce double what Nissan brought it out with. Drove it for five years as if I had stolen it, without a rev limiter.

Anyhow, I wonder what is left in that engine for that chip to tap. My son told me this morning that if he wanted a fast car, he would have kept his 200kw Cupra Turbo. So maybe he has calmed down a bit now, which at 25 is about 5 years earlier than his dad.

He also did his third day out at Base4 today. Tells me he likes doing thing's slow. Now looking to bumper and suspension upgrade because he took out his front bumper three times this morning.

He is looking at this. Toyota does this bumper and suspension for R34k.