Blud's Bakkie Load Rack

Default Blud's Bakkie Load Rack

Ready for the load and then the road to the beach house! Dogs coming along this year, so had to make a plan for the displaced load.

Could not find anything off the shelf that accommodated a sportsbar and dog portholes (with tonneau cover), so made a bolt-together. Stock similar item at a 4x4 Supplier cost almost 10K! Rests on top of the bin, is hooked up in front and ratcheted down at the back. Rack and Load cannot shift due to the tolerances.

Materials were R2000.00 . Took just on a day to drill and bolt together.

Plans are available for anyone to use and adapt if they are interested.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6bbd6290-da35-4ff0-a6b8-6601de7fd096.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	471145
    RANGER T6 2.2 DC 4X4 XL/XLS/XLT and even a bit of WILDTRAK FRANKENSTEIN FORD

Default Re: Blud's Bakkie Load Rack

If you're considering a long drive in the daytime, those poor dogs will be hot as hell!!
    Range Rover Sport HSE
    MGB GT
    Mercedes Benz C200 (SWAMBO)

I try to be the person my dogs thought I was....

Quote Originally Posted by royboy View Post
    If you're considering a long drive in the daytime, those poor dogs will be hot as hell!!
    Not at all. There is good airflow through there, and the load provides shade on a longhaul. My dogs go everyhere with me, often spending hours in the back as I do my rounds to see clients et al. They love it in there.
    Last edited by Bludlust; 2017/12/24 at 12:51 PM.

You not worried about them hopping out?
    Ross

That is so cool!!!
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by RMackay View Post
    You not worried about them hopping out?
    Nope.

They stick their heads out and that's as far as they go. The small brown one loves speed. He used to ride on the tank of my bike and stick his head above the fairing.

Anything over 100KM/h is too windy for them and they stay inside. With the air flow over the head holes, there is a lot of draw, so it stays cool. Even more so now with a load going to provide shade. The heat was a concern when I designed the cover, but sticking my hand inside proved my concerns to be unfounded. Obviously one would park in the shade if you want to stop for any length of time. I have also designed a splash-proof water container that goes in the back with them from a 3l Woolies milk bottle.

If it rains, I just unroll the flap and it is closed with velcro. The pooches stay dry enough. Taunotent (Edenvale?) altered a standard cover for me. The doggits LOVE it.

So the load rack was a HUGE success!

Total weight of around 25kg. Ratcheted down at the rear with a heavy duty strap, with retainer lugs at the front end, it was solidly attached to the vehicle. Carried a load of around 100kg with ease.

Through pure serendipity, the bars spacing were a precise fit for my container's feet, and they slotted in and were essentially locked down laterally. I could easily fit 3 boxes alongside each other and create space between the sportbar for another 2 (t least) wolf packs.

Pooches were also sheltered from wind blast, as well as kept cool under the tonneau cover, with no wind drag or buffetting. It did damage the tonneau cover but that is simply preventative neglect on my part - easy to rectify.

I will develop it further to accommodate at least 2 fishing skis for my next trip. Also a redesign of the front lug system is needed for easy installation and removal. As it stands, it is virtually theft-proof.

Name:	e19501d0-f6be-443a-9b9e-e0778bc13f56.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	472180
    Last edited by Bludlust; 2018/01/06 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    So the load rack was a HUGE success!

Total weight of around 25kg. Ratcheted down at the rear with a heavy duty strap, with retainer lugs at the front end, it was solidly attached to the vehicle. Carried a load of around 100kg with ease.

Through pure serendipity, the bars spacing were a precise fit for my container's feet, and they slotted in and were essentially locked down laterally. I could easily fit 3 boxes alongside each other and create space between the sportbar for another 2 (t least) wolf packs.

Pooches were also sheltered from wind blast, as well as kept cool under the tonneau cover, with no wind drag or buffetting. It did damage the tonneau cover but that is simply preventative neglect on my part - easy to rectify.

I will develop it further to accommodate at least 2 fishing skis for my next trip. Also a redesign of the front lug system is needed for easy installation and removal. As it stands, it is virtually theft-proof.

Name:	e19501d0-f6be-443a-9b9e-e0778bc13f56.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	472180
    You should be ashamed of yourself. Just like those bad drivers who park in the disabled parking spaces.
    Cant you see the big sign saying NO DOGS ALLOWED.
    Your dogs look like they love their wheels.

very good!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    You should be ashamed of yourself. Just like those bad drivers who park in the disabled parking spaces.
    Cant you see the big sign saying NO DOGS ALLOWED.
    Your dogs look like they love their wheels.
    LOL...

The dogs are CRAZY about going places. If they hear the keys rattle they freak out.