Beware through Umtata - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Beware through Umtata

All this is common knowledge for us that work in the former Transkei.
    2011 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2002 Disco GS TD5
    1965 Beetle in sections

From the Kei river to Umtata is a bloody war zone. They steal anything not locked down off slow moving vehicles. Police stand and watch.
    Trucks that crash in the Kei cuttings get looted down to the last bag or box. Again cops watch.

USELESS , PATHETIC , SKELM , AND DISGUSTING COPS FU%[email protected]#$%%^^ SSSS

Driving back from Sani Pass to Plettenberg Bay next week. Route: Underberg, Matatiele, Maclear, Ugie, Elliot, Queenstown, Hogsback, N10, N2, Home!
    Much slower, much prettier, much less stress!

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
    Jurgens Classique
    VW Beetle Cabriolet
    Suzuki Vitara JLX Convertible

We don't get to choose when we die,
    But we do get to choose how we live.

There's no time you must be home -
    Sleep where darkness falls...

An old horse knows the way.
    - Chinese proverb

Beautiful area, but won't see me again in a hurry. Even at Hole in the Wall, you get harassed everywhere, you cannot fish alone, you cannot go to the beach alone, you cannot hike alone, you cannot park alone. In Umtata had an iPad snatched from my vehicle (was partially my fault, did not realize the kids were playing on it whilst stuck in absolute grid-lock traffic and doors not locked) all traffic was being diverted via that one lane bridge through Umtata. If you know that place you can imagine the chaos!

Nope, I don't need that stress on holiday. It's the Wild Coast, but unfortunately not the version of 'wild' I long for.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kortgat For This Useful Post:

while moving slowly through Umtata one man jumped onto the empty motorbike trailer and started hacking away 2x securing straps and started yanking on the spare wheel, but I had seriously heavy duty cable ties in the middle too, which he didnt see, so he ended up getting off when the vehicle convoy speed increased. He must have been on the trailer a good few minutes, yanking and pulling aggressively. I told the wife to stay in the car, as he had a big panga lying next to him. Getting out to chase him away would result in him turning that nasty big blade on you, so be careful. A spare wheel is not worth the injury. If you harm the fellow, many more will swarm you and then you have serious, serious trouble. They know they have you in numbers

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skipskrop For This Useful Post:

Not an easy pill to swallow but you got off unharmed. I just donít think this is sustainable. Something has got to give.

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

When going through Umtata always use the bypass. You manage to avoid that whole pressure point through the town

We goign to Dwesa in early December, and even butterworth if busy, is no great to drive through. Feels like all the prey is funneled into the machine
    Riku
    2011 Echo4 with Blinkgat Nose cone and

Quote Originally Posted by skipskrop View Post
    while moving slowly through Umtata one man jumped onto the empty motorbike trailer and started hacking away 2x securing straps and started yanking on the spare wheel, but I had seriously heavy duty cable ties in the middle too, which he didnt see, so he ended up getting off when the vehicle convoy speed increased. He must have been on the trailer a good few minutes, yanking and pulling aggressively. I told the wife to stay in the car, as he had a big panga lying next to him. Getting out to chase him away would result in him turning that nasty big blade on you, so be careful. A spare wheel is not worth the injury. If you harm the fellow, many more will swarm you and then you have serious, serious trouble. They know they have you in numbers
    Sorry to hear but thanks for this, I also used straps on my spare for the bike trailer, will fix that now

Quote Originally Posted by skipskrop View Post
    Fish hooks and Minora razor blades tied into your wiring harness, strapping and webbing is a great passive security measure you can implement quite easily and cheaply
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

If they managed to remove goods or gas bottles while waiting at a robot you made a few mistakes.

1st mistake; it obviously was not secured enough. Use many , many ropes, straps, cables and a cargo net on a load. Valuables should be chained and locked. or wired.
    2nd you don't stop at robots in any transki town. Slow down keep moving and judge the green light or stop and go, never stand still for long.
    3rd get through umtata before 07:00.
    4th use the bypass.

Recently I have been placing a sheet of plastic and or tarpaulin under the cargo net, it makes it difficult to see what's there and what to target.

and get through before seven, the earlier the better.

Yesterday we drove through the Transkei:- good trip under six hours. from home near kei to home near Pumula.

• The shell garage has a big tavern right next door. At 05:30 it was pumping and lots of drunk people at the garage, not pleasant. Something new, I have never had it that bad before. Saturday/Sunday and month end.
    • Next about 50kms outside of umtata, a beer truck had crashed right across the road, lucky we arrived just after it happened, we did some 4x4ing to get past, that road must have been blocked for hours with party goers.

Last edited by K-9; 2019/09/30 at 01:45 PM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K-9 For This Useful Post:

We were on our way back from mosselbaai to Durban passing through Umtata.
    The wife had a headache so she asked if we could stop in umtata so she could run into a chemist to get headache tablets.
    Whilst she was inside the chemist i had parrallel parked in the main road.
    within 2 minutes i had a chap knocking on my window saying they had tried to steal my wheel caps.
    Now i have mag rims, so just shooed him off, with my window closed and door locked.
    When i looked in my side mirrors i saw a chap ducked down behind my car peeping out waiting for me to open my door.
    After 2 or 3 minutes of this guy insisting i should get out and come check and me telling him to F off, he eventually moved away and this chap ducking behind my car joined him.
    Just then my wife comes out the chemist walking towards the car unaware of what had happened, taking her sweet time.
    Thank god these guys only saw her walking towards the car when she was about 5 m away from the car.
    They both came running up towards her with knives drawn.
    As my wife got in the car i pulled off at speed, managing to get away.
    Had i gotten out the car i'd either have been stabed or hijacked.
    Well that is the last time i will ever stop in umtata, never again.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelKilleen View Post
    We were on our way back from mosselbaai to Durban passing through Umtata.
    The wife had a headache so she asked if we could stop in umtata so she could run into a chemist to get headache tablets.
    Whilst she was inside the chemist i had parrallel parked in the main road.
    within 2 minutes i had a chap knocking on my window saying they had tried to steal my wheel caps.
    Now i have mag rims, so just shooed him off, with my window closed and door locked.
    When i looked in my side mirrors i saw a chap ducked down behind my car peeping out waiting for me to open my door.
    After 2 or 3 minutes of this guy insisting i should get out and come check and me telling him to F off, he eventually moved away and this chap ducking behind my car joined him.
    Just then my wife comes out the chemist walking towards the car unaware of what had happened, taking her sweet time.
    Thank god these guys only saw her walking towards the car when she was about 5 m away from the car.
    They both came running up towards her with knives drawn.
    As my wife got in the car i pulled off at speed, managing to get away.
    Had i gotten out the car i'd either have been stabed or hijacked.
    Well that is the last time i will ever stop in umtata, never again.
    Sjo, frightning stuff. How can this be allowed to just carry on?

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zapiture For This Useful Post:

If you vote me in to power I'll let you do what ever you like.

All the towns down that way now has bypasses that you can take that avoid the pressure points. Almost no place where you need to stop dead at. Take them, not only is it much safer but it also cuts down on your traveling time

20. The Following User Says Thank You to KingRiaan For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2