Poll: How do you split the driving time/responsibility?

View Poll Results: How do you share driving on long trips?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • One of us does all the driving (95% or more).

46 66.67%
  • One of us does most of the driving (roughly 75%/25%).

8 11.59%
  • One of us does more driving than the other, but partner shares driving (roughly 66%-75% one person).

8 11.59%
  • Driving is split more or less evenly (roughly 50/50).

7 10.14%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Poll: How do you split the driving time/responsibility?

In reading trip reports on the forum and various blogs I'm curious on how people share responsibilities of various tasks while overlanding, particularly on longer trips.

This leads me to the question - how do you share driving time with your partner?

Default Re: Poll: How do you split the driving time/responsibility?

I do all the driving.
    SWAMBO refuses to drive the Suiuz!
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

We share the driving on long trips, but we also don't make our distances to cover per day, too long for a day, as we see the trip as part of our holiday / venture.
    Elly
    4x4 Naturist
    Land Cruiser 76LX & Explorer
    Alberton, Gauteng

I used to drive a lot for work, about 10k per month so I'm used to long hours on the road. I do all the driving and can easily do 12 hours without resting.
    Choose life

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    I do all the driving.
    SWAMBO refuses to drive the Suiuz!
    Interesting! My wife likes driving, so we share. This works out well for the long boring straight parts, but there has been occasions when off road one of us is a bit anxious that the other is hogging the fun. It's all good for us though. In game parks we share as well, but I am also keen on photography and in that case she drives to free me up with messing with camera gear, plus this gives her an activity too.

Also when things get complicated for navigation I have a bit more patience with the GPS and various conflicting maps, and she has nerves of steel for hectic disorganized traffic. I often joke that if we ever moved to Africa (we're in the US) that she should get a job as a taxi driver. To each their own though.

I usually also do all the driving. We stop regularly, lots of snacks and coffee.
    Have a kuier as you go
    Riku
    2011 Echo4 with Blinkgat Nose cone and

Quote Originally Posted by Coenoes View Post
    I used to drive a lot for work, about 10k per month so I'm used to long hours on the road. I do all the driving and can easily do 12 hours without resting.
    Wow! I don't have it in me, I'm certainly a worse driver after too many hours and I need a break. I have certainly worked with people though that could do all day on the road and seemed fine, impressive.

We drive on 2 hour shifts. When we do a driver change it also is my smoke break. and do a vehicle walk around inspection and feeling for difference in tyre temps etc.
    Andre Botha
    2006 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB, Gomad bash plates. Monroe Adventure shocks.

We used to share but now I do most of the driving.

We very seldom do more than 6 hours on one day and I can manage that easily with enough breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Coenoes View Post
    i would be very careful when driving for that length of time with no rest. Your always a bit tired and prone to accidents on around the 10-12 hour mark.

Default How do you split the driving time/responsibility?

I do all the driving.

Since our daughter got her drivers licence she has a tendency to ban me to the back seat of the car when in game parks.
    Must admit that I love the extra space, being very close to the cooler bag and especially appreciate my pillow!

When I was younger I would always drive from Pretoria to Stellenbosch(1500km) in one go, only stopping for petrol. That is something I can't do anymore.

Have found that frequent stops and especially a good meaty meal gives me the stamina to stay alert and am not even tired when we reach our destination.
    Last edited by Danie Malan; 2017/12/19 at 06:06 PM.
    Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2009

Know where you are going in life... you may already be there!

We share the driving equally. Off road and on the tar. Two hours then change. Works well with making a very long day's driving go quickly. I'm always surprised by how few women drivers there are, especially off road. Is this because the women are not keen to drive or because the men won't let them!

Also do all the driving, but must admit, that after a long day in the saddle, I am LESS likely to want to walk an obstacle.
    So when I get more tired, I am more likely to take chances, or just drive the line...

Depends on the trip. Driving to Pretoria I will drive all the way. Driving in Kruger, we share. Other person gets to sit in the back seat and can see animals both sides

Quote Originally Posted by saudisarah View Post
    We share the driving equally. Off road and on the tar. Two hours then change. Works well with making a very long day's driving go quickly. I'm always surprised by how few women drivers there are, especially off road. Is this because the women are not keen to drive or because the men won't let them!
    Can only agree with this one, yet a lot of woman enjoy it. For us it is very important that both of us have experience with off road 4x4ing, as anything could happen and the partner needs to take over.
    Elly
    4x4 Naturist
    Land Cruiser 76LX & Explorer
    Alberton, Gauteng

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Elly For This Useful Post:

I do all the driving. Actually, it's the same as back home - when I'm in a car, I'm on driver's seat. And my wife is perfectly contented with this. Seems I'm enjoying driving more than she does.

But on each trip, she does some short driving introduction to familiarize herself with the car and 4x4 thingies (we always rent, so each trip it's a different car), just in case I am not able to drive for whatever reason.

When in camp, I try to spoil her as much as I can. Coffee, cooking, dishes, fire, braai - I'm try to make this all my responsibilities. I'm the happiest man on earth when I can persuade her to just lay in her hammock and enjoy life and let me do all the things. After all, when not in the Africa, she's in charge for most of those things.

And this arrangement obviously suits us both very well, as every time we return home, we both hardly wait for another African adventure.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

I drive all the time, but I refuse to drive further than 10 hours at a time.

It's a TRIP, not a RACE.

If you're overlanding and doing more than 12 hours, you're doing it wrong.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I drive all the time, but I refuse to drive further than 10 hours at a time.

It's a TRIP, not a RACE.

If you're overlanding and doing more than 12 hours, you're doing it wrong.
    Why, I love long distance driving, it gives me time to think. I leave work at home and won't answer a phone. I enjoy having that empty head that allows me to reflect on life and my problems and opportunities instead of some one else’s.

It's rare that I get stressed when driving and am usually calm and relaxed. No problem for me to leave a camp site at daybreak and get home after dark. I gave up on the crap food and sugar crashes many years ago, so that does not affect me.

I have often done JHB -CPT in one day on my bike and feel more energised when I get there. I agree it's not a race but it can be a marathon
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Why, I love long distance driving, it gives me time to think. I leave work at home and won't answer a phone. I enjoy having that empty head that allows me to reflect on life and my problems and opportunities instead of some one else’s.

It's rare that I get stressed when driving and am usually calm and relaxed. No problem for me to leave a camp site at daybreak and get home after dark. I gave up on the crap food and sugar crashes many years ago, so that does not affect me.

I have often done JHB -CPT in one day on my bike and feel more energised when I get there. I agree it's not a race but it can be a marathon
    as long as you stop often, otherwise you haven't done a trip, you've done a drive
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

You seem to have forgotten what I drive

of course I have to stop often.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast