First to complete De Wildt's new "Brandpad" trail! (Unimogs)

Default First to complete De Wildt's new "Brandpad" trail! (Unimogs)

If anybody followed my previous thread, you'd know that we had great fun on De Wildt's new extreme trail (which was mostly virgin territory before we traversed it). We had two issues however:

1. Ferdi's Unimog had a power steering leak, so he had to abandon before starting, and
    2. We had to give up about half way, because Steven's Range Rover Classic ran out of talent :-)

No, seriously - that later stretch down the mountain (extreme oblique angles while traversing massive rocks with a cliff on the left) as well as the extreme climb which would follow it, were not for sissies. Or civilian 4x4s.

Ferdi and I vowed to return to drive the rest of the trail, which Alexander from De Wildt said had not been driven by anybody before.
    Well, last Thursday was the day!

We had a Wimpy breakfast next to Harties - it was one of the only places to park the rather long combination of Ferdi's dark green Doka towing "ousus" - the cannot-die-rat-rod-unimog that he was planning to drive the trail with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	140166-unimogs-breakfast-run.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	470693

I'm in my beige Doka as usual:

Name:	140167-unimog-top-dawid.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	470694

After a rather eventful drive there (we won't go into details... but suffice it to say, Ferdi's hot-rodded mog's fireproof heat-wrap material around the exhaust wasn't as fireproof as it was supposed to be...) we started preparing: Unloading ousus (who needs ramps! A 1 meter climb onto or off of the trailer is no problem..), deflating tyres, removing pesky wheel-arches, etc...

Name:	140172-unimogs-peparing.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	470695 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	140173-unimogs-unloading-ousus.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	470696

The trail drive to the "limit" where we had to stop the previous time with Steven's Rangie was reached quickly and rather unceremoniously. Not a single rock was packed:-)

Ousus, being the rat-rod that she is, is running on 4 different kinds of second-hand tyres, mostly the military cross-ply type.

One of the interesting observations was the massive advantage that my rather new and pliable deflated Continental MPT81 Radial tyres afforded my mog during the drive. The grip over loose rocks etc was markedly superior, combined with my better weight distribution. I partially deflated to about 1.5bar - 3bar is usual on the tar.

Name:	140177-unimogs-ousus-ferdi.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	470697

Since it was just the two vehicles, and I was really busy driving hard, I haven't taken too many photos - and none of my Mog in action. But I can say that the steep oblique descent into the kloof was quite hair-raising. Very fine control was required.

But that was nothing compared to the epic ascent that awaited after the kloof. We're talking of a 40 ascent of perhaps 200m over a combination of large boulders and/or small, loose rocks:

Name:	140179-unimogs-ousus-steep-ascent.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	435.9 KB 
ID:	470698

Tyres really made a massive difference here again. Ousus had to use the winch to make it up, it was just too slippery over the loose rocks:

Name:	140190-unimogs-ousus-winching.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	470699 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	140191-unimogs-dewildt-aspects.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	470700

The MPT81's on my Unimog - coupled with a bit of craziness on my part perhaps - saw my mog climb up this hill unassisted in what was perhaps my most satisfying and impressive 4x4 maneuver yet. I'm very sad that I didn't take the time to set up the camera to video it, but it was hair-raising, touch-and-go, and really showed what these amazing machines can do.

Ousus lost her weight-balancing spare wheel up this ascent. This is a "solid" military wheel that weights more than 300kg! Once I reached the top of the hill, I turned around, and used my PTO winch to drag that anchor of a wheel up the slope. Boulders and trees in the way were prompty forced aside, when you have a 5.7L Diesel-powered winch dragging an obstacle through the countryside.

Unfortunately, just before fully recovering the wheel, my brakes become weak. This was no joke on that steep incline. One of my brake lines had ruptured under the stress (and stress it was at these angles, with the forces involved!). These trucks are old... anything can happen!

Luckily, a Unimog has dual independent brake circuits and doubled-up calipers in the front, so with the help of the mechanical meastros Ettienne and Jannie, we quickly snipped and clamped the one brake line, allowing me to complete the track (and drive the 100km home afterwards) with the other brake circuit.

And yes, I killed another side mirror. This is number 6 in the past year...

After the epic descent / ascent, we covered various other climbs and rough sections, ending off the extremely hot/sunny day in De Wildt's swimming pool at around 15:00. What a wonderful day.

I think that this trail can be extremely challenging to most vehicles. While we did not have to pack rocks, got stuck, or had to recover a vehicle once, this trail gave the Unimogs a real work-out. Which, in my mind, translates into an extreme, damage-incurring epic for anything but a highly modified civvie 4x4.

While this trail isn't as challenging as the final section (e.g. last 800m) of Carnage Canyon, I found it to be an entirely different kind of challenge. The tight climbs and turns, over large boulders, on potentially very slippery terrain with high slopes, makes it a bit nerve-wracking at times. And the driven can be extremely bumpy - your passenger will hate you. After last time at De Wildt, my wife and co-pilot Jeanetta sat this one out. I need to first fit bucket seats and 5-point harnesses I think.

It's really an honor to have been part of the first group ever to complete this trail. I hope that we have not only helped force some of the problematic rocks out of the way with our beasties, but also that we have set the bar high. I am incredibly curious to see which group will be next to complete this trail.

And more significantly... who will do it without having to pack rocks or use their winches. I do hope you post about your adventures on this forum!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1984 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 416, 1990 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC, 2010 Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 (Sexy car for a sexy wife)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dawid Loubser For This Useful Post:

Default Re: First to complete De Wildt's new "Brandpad" trail! (Unimogs)

Very cool! well done to you both
    Intelligence is measured in smarts, stature is measured in hearts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Forgey For This Useful Post:

Wow.....Love those machines
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Well done David........ volgende jaar gaan maak ons Carnage ook Klaar....
    2012 JK Rubicon (PANDA) ..... because jeep......
    2011 V9X Pathfinder...... because Baby to be onboard

EX 2009 Jimny , tricked to the teeh....

Quote Originally Posted by Su-SWYS-ki View Post
    Verseker! Kannie wag nie. Ferdi s hy kom saam.
    Last edited by Dawid Loubser; 2017/12/19 at 08:28 AM.
    1984 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 416, 1990 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC, 2010 Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 (Sexy car for a sexy wife)

Awesome stuff Dawid
    Those are some serious machines

Quote Originally Posted by Su-SWYS-ki View Post
    Wooky and I will be joining you on the beach, but with a different Zook.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2018 Suzuki Jimny -
    2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts
    Platkar - Suzuki Swift 1.4 GLS Auto

10. The Following User Says Thank You to saxj For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dawid Loubser View Post
    If anybody followed my previous thread, you'd know that we had great fun on De Wildt's new extreme trail (which was mostly virgin territory before we traversed it). We had two issues however:

1. Ferdi's Unimog had a power steering leak, so he had to abandon before starting, and
    2. We had to give up about half way, because Steven's Range Rover Classic ran out of talent :-)

No, seriously - that later stretch down the mountain (extreme oblique angles while traversing massive rocks with a cliff on the left) as well as the extreme climb which would follow it, were not for sissies. Or civilian 4x4s.

Ferdi and I vowed to return to drive the rest of the trail, which Alexander from De Wildt said had not been driven by anybody before.
    Well, last Thursday was the day!

We had a Wimpy breakfast next to Harties - it was one of the only places to park the rather long combination of Ferdi's dark green Doka towing "ousus" - the cannot-die-rat-rod-unimog that he was planning to drive the trail with.

Name:	140166-unimogs-breakfast-run.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	470693

I'm in my beige Doka as usual:

Name:	140167-unimog-top-dawid.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	470694

After a rather eventful drive there (we won't go into details... but suffice it to say, Ferdi's hot-rodded mog's fireproof heat-wrap material around the exhaust wasn't as fireproof as it was supposed to be...) we started preparing: Unloading ousus (who needs ramps! A 1 meter climb onto or off of the trailer is no problem..), deflating tyres, removing pesky wheel-arches, etc...

Name:	140172-unimogs-peparing.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	470695 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	140173-unimogs-unloading-ousus.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	470696

The trail drive to the "limit" where we had to stop the previous time with Steven's Rangie was reached quickly and rather unceremoniously. Not a single rock was packed:-)

Ousus, being the rat-rod that she is, is running on 4 different kinds of second-hand tyres, mostly the military cross-ply type.

One of the interesting observations was the massive advantage that my rather new and pliable deflated Continental MPT81 Radial tyres afforded my mog during the drive. The grip over loose rocks etc was markedly superior, combined with my better weight distribution. I partially deflated to about 1.5bar - 3bar is usual on the tar.

Name:	140177-unimogs-ousus-ferdi.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	470697

Since it was just the two vehicles, and I was really busy driving hard, I haven't taken too many photos - and none of my Mog in action. But I can say that the steep oblique descent into the kloof was quite hair-raising. Very fine control was required.

But that was nothing compared to the epic ascent that awaited after the kloof. We're talking of a 40 ascent of perhaps 200m over a combination of large boulders and/or small, loose rocks:

Name:	140179-unimogs-ousus-steep-ascent.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	435.9 KB 
ID:	470698

Tyres really made a massive difference here again. Ousus had to use the winch to make it up, it was just too slippery over the loose rocks:

Name:	140190-unimogs-ousus-winching.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	470699 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	140191-unimogs-dewildt-aspects.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	470700

The MPT81's on my Unimog - coupled with a bit of craziness on my part perhaps - saw my mog climb up this hill unassisted in what was perhaps my most satisfying and impressive 4x4 maneuver yet. I'm very sad that I didn't take the time to set up the camera to video it, but it was hair-raising, touch-and-go, and really showed what these amazing machines can do.

Ousus lost her weight-balancing spare wheel up this ascent. This is a "solid" military wheel that weights more than 300kg! Once I reached the top of the hill, I turned around, and used my PTO winch to drag that anchor of a wheel up the slope. Boulders and trees in the way were prompty forced aside, when you have a 5.7L Diesel-powered winch dragging an obstacle through the countryside.

Unfortunately, just before fully recovering the wheel, my brakes become weak. This was no joke on that steep incline. One of my brake lines had ruptured under the stress (and stress it was at these angles, with the forces involved!). These trucks are old... anything can happen!

Luckily, a Unimog has dual independent brake circuits and doubled-up calipers in the front, so with the help of the mechanical meastros Ettienne and Jannie, we quickly snipped and clamped the one brake line, allowing me to complete the track (and drive the 100km home afterwards) with the other brake circuit.

And yes, I killed another side mirror. This is number 6 in the past year...

After the epic descent / ascent, we covered various other climbs and rough sections, ending off the extremely hot/sunny day in De Wildt's swimming pool at around 15:00. What a wonderful day.

I think that this trail can be extremely challenging to most vehicles. While we did not have to pack rocks, got stuck, or had to recover a vehicle once, this trail gave the Unimogs a real work-out. Which, in my mind, translates into an extreme, damage-incurring epic for anything but a highly modified civvie 4x4.

While this trail isn't as challenging as the final section (e.g. last 800m) of Carnage Canyon, I found it to be an entirely different kind of challenge. The tight climbs and turns, over large boulders, on potentially very slippery terrain with high slopes, makes it a bit nerve-wracking at times. And the driven can be extremely bumpy - your passenger will hate you. After last time at De Wildt, my wife and co-pilot Jeanetta sat this one out. I need to first fit bucket seats and 5-point harnesses I think.

It's really an honor to have been part of the first group ever to complete this trail. I hope that we have not only helped force some of the problematic rocks out of the way with our beasties, but also that we have set the bar high. I am incredibly curious to see which group will be next to complete this trail.

And more significantly... who will do it without having to pack rocks or use their winches. I do hope you post about your adventures on this forum!
    Nicely done. It looks like you need some rubber mirrors
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2018 Suzuki Jimny -
    2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts
    Platkar - Suzuki Swift 1.4 GLS Auto

Quote Originally Posted by saxj View Post
    Wooky and I will be joining you on the beach, but with a different Zook.
    Nice!!

For reference, the attached show what the start of the more difficult part - where we stopped in October, but traversed last Thursday - looks like. Oblique angle, large rocks, and a very far drop on the side.

This is a fun challenge for any serious 4x4er I think - then an even more epic ascent awaits on the other side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220088-deWildt-brandpad-section.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	470795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220090-deWildt-brandpad-section.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	470796  

We would like to go on this route this weekend

Vat hom fluffy!

I hope you guys do, and post tons of pictures / videos!
    I'm so annoyed that I don't have any good video, but we were just two vehicles, and both very busy driving.

I believe that the owners of De Wildt just cancelled due to community desputes. So now we need another route to go too. Any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco jeep View Post
    I believe that the owners of De Wildt just cancelled due to community desputes. So now we need another route to go too. Any suggestions.
    As in... they have closed the new route?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco jeep View Post
    Moegatle...

Quote Originally Posted by PATROLLICA View Post
    Moegatle...
    Jaco is sick of Moegatle, hes looking for a new challenge I think
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

We went out and did Swift's pass. Was a challenging event out. This weekend we will go for Hellshoogte