Amboseli & Masai Mara

Default Amboseli & Masai Mara

Hi All

Looking for some advice, we are self driving around East Africa starting in Jan and would like some camping site advice for the following:

- Masai Mara: seems to be either Mara Triangle or Mara North? any recommendations? we would prefer private exclusive use campsites?

- Amboseli: Is it only the public campsite inside the park? are there any private campsites inside the park?

thanks so much

Eve

Default Re: Amboseli & Masai Mara

The subject of camping in the Mara has been exhaustively discussed recently. Please see all my replies on the various threads. Mara North is a private community conservancy and has an exclusive tented camp so I do not think camping is allowed. Please see my replies which explains the Maasai Mara Game Reserve and the Mara Triangle both of which have public campsites. The Mara Triangle is also known as the Mara Conservancy and see their excellent website.

I have also posted about camping in Amboseli National Park. I was camping in the National Park campsite at Amboseli just 10 days ago. There is a community camp outside the park and the one in the park. No special campsites in Amboseli NP.

Thanks WW there certainly is a lot of info to trawl through! its just finding the recent and relevant stuff can be tricky sometimes! I will have a look through!

Eve, when in January will you be in Amboseli? We'll be there camping on 2nd and 3rd of January. Will be in Mara before that and will be continuing from Amboseli toward Tsavo West and East. Stop by or wave us down if you see us in extended Toyota Landcruiser with Ugandan plates.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    in extended Toyota Landcruiser with Ugandan plates.
    Remember, ortelius, that extended vehicles are more unwieldy and therefore easy to roll. Also, being a Public Service Vehicle the speed limit of 80kph is rigorously enforced. Have a great trip.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Thanks, WW! We did have the same model last year, so I'm already kind of used to it. I wasn't aware that 80 kph limit applies to us, though. Thanks for that, will keep in mind.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Hi Ortelius

we will be in the mara and then amboseli in mid - end of feb so think we will miss you sadly. we are starting in Dar in early Jan and heading to Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania and Zambia. 3 months! 2 cars (white hilux and black Land Rover) SA reg and UK reg so if you see us give us a shout along the way!

if anyone is looking for an option in amboseli I have been recommended an Amazing place called Amboseli Bush Camp. its on Airbnb and is a small self catering safari lodge you can book out exclusively and is very reasonably priced! looks amazing so we have booked in there for 3 nights! a break from the camping!

enjoy the trip!

cheers