No yellow line driving

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default No yellow line driving

So I was driving on the extremely busy N1 on Saturday. And then I realize, these trucks with the "No yellow line driving" can as well add the following to the sticker; " I would rather let people die"

Or am I wrong.

I will not drive in the yellow line if I do not have a clear road in front of me, so that I fully agree. But please, why not give way on a clear stretch of road, where you can see kilometers in front of you. And why these stickers
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stevan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: No yellow line driving

Nobody is obliged to drive in the shoulder.
    The problem with extra heavies and very busy roads, is that once the truck moves into the shoulder, the steady stream of vehicles passing it, makes it virtually impossible to move back into the road.
    This in itself creates a dangerous situation.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

Ah, the annual 'yellow lane driving' thread...

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kola For This Useful Post:

I do not pull over any more.

With the poor/non-existant maintenance of our roads, very often the edge of the road has eroded away right into the shoulder making it impossible to pull back urgently in need be. A few months ago near Koster the shoulder was washed away with a 500mm+ deep ditch there.
    Or there are large potholes, or rocks, or pedestrians.
    It's simply too dangerous.

I also don't get annoyed with drivers that don't pull over either.
    I understand why.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by stevan View Post
    So I was driving on the extremely busy N1 on Saturday. And then I realize, these trucks with the "No yellow line driving" can as well add the following to the sticker; " I would rather let people die"

And why these stickers
    So it's okay for the truck driver to risk his life when the seven cars behind you also take the gap forcing him to crest the blind rise in the yellow lane? Or when idiot in his fancy car decides to overtake said truck in the oncoming lane and then swerves left when a cat approaches?

The sticker is there to notify you that your expectation of the truck pulling over will not be met. Because the truck driver is fed up.

Next time when you buy fresh produce on the 27th of December, please remember the truck driver who delivered it that morning after driving through the night.

10. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to PhlippieV For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PhlippieV View Post
    So it's okay for the truck driver to risk his life when the seven cars behind you also take the gap forcing him to crest the blind rise in the yellow lane? Or when idiot in his fancy car decides to overtake said truck in the oncoming lane and then swerves left when a cat approaches?

The sticker is there to notify you that your expectation of the truck pulling over will not be met. Because the truck driver is fed up.

Next time when you buy fresh produce on the 27th of December, please remember the truck driver who delivered it that morning after driving through the night.
    Selective Quoting
    If you gonna quote someone please include his whole quote not just the piece that suits your point of view, you left out the part when OP said "clear stretch of road, where you can see kilometers in front of you"
    Last edited by MarcoP; 2017/12/18 at 10:52 AM.
    05 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 3.2 Did GLX

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MarcoP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    Ah, the annual 'yellow lane driving' thread...
    And that's where this thread can end... However, I'm going to share something that I find REALLY selfish on the open road. Went to Pretoria this weekend. At those sections where one direction is single and the other double (e.g. the 60 km's north of Kroonstad), there are often long queues stuck behind trucks in the single lane with a stipple line permitting overtaking. Then some single moron in the oncoming double lane will hog the right-hand lane, forcing everybody to wait for the next double section, which is often clogged with trucks passing each other at a glacial pace, and you pretty much remain where you are for several double sections. Keep left, pass right; why is this so hard for some people to understand?? Oh, and I go left of the yellow line for faster traffic when it's safe to do so, and appreciate it when slower traffic goes left for me. Hazards twice, quick flash of the headlights, and everything flows smoothly...
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

What I have experienced is that the truck driver stay in his line, then a guy gets upset after driving kilometers behind him, taking a gap that was not really a gap, and forcing the oncoming traffic into the yellow line. Remember these trucks drive at speeds of around 80 km/h. So they cause dangerous situations.

Such a pity our railways are no longer operational as in the past.
    Platkar Swambo's MB

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stevan For This Useful Post:

What I have experienced is that the truck driver stay in his line, then a guy gets upset after driving kilometers behind him, taking a gap that was not really a gap, and forcing the oncoming traffic into the yellow line. Remember these trucks drive at speeds of around 80 km/h. So they cause dangerous situations.

Actually no, it is the idiot taking the gap that is causing the dangerous situation.
    "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold."

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Ja-nee wragtag... And the fact that the entire N1 is not double all the way...

3 or 4 trucks in convoy without gaps in between them is also a problem.
    Last edited by pwgg; 2017/12/18 at 11:09 AM.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pwgg For This Useful Post:

I actually thought about starting such a thread, while swambo and I drove the N1 from Cape Town to Joburg last week. Both my fully loaded Landy and Swambo, who declined to drive this trip, were real troopers.

Where did it all start? In all the other countries that I have driven, and I have driven all over, including Europe where there are roads much like the N1, it is just not done. Last time I checked, the yellow lane is intended as an emergency STOPPING lane, not an 'I'm too impatient to wait for a safe passing opportunity' lane. It is not a legal requirement anywhere to move over into the shoulder lane for ongeduldig six sided containers.

Basically, it needs to stop, there is just no point. Even if a car pulls over there is never enough space for you to pass it safely, you still need to move into the oncoming lane.

I must admit, it can be a bit tricky when six trucks are tailgating each other making any attempt at passing them plain stupid, but if patience is exercised and your trip is properly planned, you will reach your destination eventually, alive, and not in a body bag. We left Karoo NP (Beaufort Wes) at 6am and reached Benoni at 7pm, me driving all the way, with a max speed of 100kph.

I do not pull over, I do not expect anyone else to pull over for me, unless there is an actual emergency.

I think I'm about done with my Intercape / Greyhound driving, as much as I love the open road. Most of it was overnight, up and down the N1. I'm sure you can imagine what it must feel like driving a bus with 86 souls onboard and you crest a rise at 2am, and there are 3 sets of headlights next to each other, all coming straight at you...
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2017/12/18 at 11:46 AM.
    1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naes-Landy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoP View Post
    Selective Quoting
    If you gonna quote someone please include his whole quote not just the piece that suits your point of view, you left out the part when OP said "clear stretch of road, where you can see kilometers in front of you"
    If it is a "clear stretch of road, where you can see kilometers in front of you" , why not pass (normally)?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi

25. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    If it is a "clear stretch of road, where you can see kilometers in front of you" , why not pass (normally)?
    Where the shoulder is clear for km's to see.

Quote Originally Posted by pwgg View Post
    3 or 4 trucks in convoy without gaps in between them is also a problem.
    And when the road opens up into a double lane, truck 2 decides to pass truck 1, and takes so long doing so, none of the other cars behind it can pass before the road goes back to a single lane...
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts" : Bertrand Russell

2014 Nissan Navara 2.5 4x2
    1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Where the shoulder is clear for km's to see.
    ... but the road itself not?

Come on! Somebody is looking for a reason to rant!

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi

There may be a lot of oncoming traffic... for kilometers.... with kilometers of open yellow lane....

Viva yellow lane drivers. Thank you for making our Highways a safer and more efficient place to commute...
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST"

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

Jip... In a perfect world I would also not use the shoulder and frown upon others for doing it, but during busy times our roads are over-crowded with impatient drivers; then temporary use of the shoulder under safe conditions certainly make the roads safer.

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Jip... In a perfect world I would also not use the shoulder and frown upon others for doing it, but during busy times our roads are over-crowded with impatient drivers; then temporary use of the shoulder under safe conditions certainly make the roads safer.

Thank you
    Platkar Swambo's MB

The majority of trucks will still pull into the yellow lane, even if only half the vehicle's width, when they do not foresee any danger for you to pass them.

One thing to keep in mind. These drivers spend their whole lives sitting in that seat and seeing some pretty hair raising driving done by motorists. I do not think the idea of not driving in the yellow lane is to see how many motorists can be pee'd off during December.

One thing that I have encountered numerous times that is pretty "petty", is if the truck driver decides to drive on the white line, effectively forcing you to move into the oncoming traffic lane to see an opportunity to pass safely. And yes, everyone will say keep further back, but you then need to maintain a massive gap between yourself and the vehicle to properly see what is oncoming.
    Life's a journey..................even longer by foot

2006 Mazda Drifter X 2500 Td D/C (Ossie)
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3 Sportline (VERY plat kar)

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DrifX For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast