Cement block bricks vs standard cement bricks (mampara)

Default Cement block bricks vs standard cement bricks (mampara)

We are looking into some extensions on the plot. First project will be a new 4 car garage (4 doors). Still busy drawing up the plans but will be in the region of 12m x 7m brick building with flat metal roof (sink dak)

Now due to the time of year I am not that successful in getting prices out of suppliers. I am not complaining at all as it is the big holidays in ZA.

Now forgive my ignorance but any body with experience and or knowledge as to the pro’s and cons of your normal mampara brick (220x105x73) vs. the block brick (340x190x140). I have worked with both in the past and purchased some mampara bricks recently so know the costs but am out of touch with the blocks. ?

Will post the blueprint once i have sketched it.

Default Re: Cement block bricks vs standard cement bricks (mampara)

The quality of building blocks (M4 & M6) vary from good to absolutely pathetic.

Make sure you get decent stuff (you usually get what you pay for).

Suppliers such as Inca have (IMO) excellent products, but "Johny's Eco Blocks" might be cheap, but is not of the same standard.

I prefer clay bricks (old-school?).

Look at Finn Builder as an alternative.
    Last edited by 4eTouareg; 2017/12/17 at 11:47 AM.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

Thanks 4e. Like this FinnBuilder. Have you made use of this?

I like the concept a lot. So instead of mixing building mix, you have a concrete mix you build with?

My initial idea was to build a steel frame and then enclose the top with sink and then only have 2,4m walls and then the rest to the top also use sink. Initial thought is this might end in more work as you have steele work and then still have mason work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    Thanks 4e. Like this FinnBuilder. Have you made use of this?

I like the concept a lot. So instead of mixing building mix, you have a concrete mix you build with?

My initial idea was to build a steel frame and then enclose the top with sink and then only have 2,4m walls and then the rest to the top also use sink. Initial thought is this might end in more work as you have steele work and then still have mason work to do.
    I built my house with FinnBuilder.

(at least you can drill into a wall and don't have the bit & chuck disappear into a cavity! )
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

Another alternative for the garage IF it's approved is Vibracrete walls. You can always plaster it to look decent.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

I was led to believe that using blocks are not really cheaper but a bit faster? So maybe less labour.

I still prefer good ole clay bricks. With lots of brick force.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    Another alternative for the garage IF it's approved is Vibracrete walls. You can always plaster it to look decent.
    Eish..

They won't approve plans for a Vibracrete wall as it's the load bearing wall.
    A Vibracrete wall can barely hold itself up, never mind a roof!

I'd rather use poles & corrugated iron sheeting like in an informal settlement.

What's next Johnno, suggesting instead of hurricane clips that he place old tyres, ripening pumpkins & rocks on the roof?

I have some old tires that will do. Just think of the money i will save ons screws. Might even discourage an intruder or two.

All the suggestions helps a lot thanks. Vibacrete will work for covering sides and back of s skeleton structure. Will still require masonry at the front to mount garage doors to though. Which brings me back to my original thought. If i have to install garage doors it might be better to build entirely garage out of bricks (type still under discussion) which will also carry the roof weight. Roof will be flat sloped to the back of course.

I don't know much about the blocks.

But years ago I rebuilt stables in Lanseria destroyed in a storm.
    They were built out of the hollow 'Breeze' blocks.

I investigated at the time & the only advantage was that the breeze blocks are bigger & lighter.
    There was only a minimal money saving.

I think they are OK for informal buildings on a plot where plans aren't required.
    On our plot there is 1700m2 under roof & only 480m2 has plans.

But if this is a formal structure meant to last a lifetime, I'd just go conventional brick...

I would guess there is a strength difference in Theory between Clay/Cement stock & Breeze Block.

But the current Clay Stock or Cement stock are so poorly made (they are supposed to be 6-8 mpA but most are less than 4mpA).

You can go to a brick supplier & order a special order of well made clay stock, but it'll cost a few cents a brick more.

A client of mine built out of Vibro brick - she said 7c a brick more. But these were proper...

http://www.vibro.co.za/cement-stock/

EDIT:
    If you compare Vibro - the normal 70mm brick weighs 168kg/m2 whilst the bigger maxi weights 172.8kg/m2
    Last edited by Mad Manny; 2017/12/17 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks all for the input. Really appreciate it. Seems like a brick building it will be with a low pitched sink roof.

The cost of brick vs block will be the decider. A lot of adverts for blocks out ther and will be difficult to judge quality. Think i will contact Vibro.

Site leveling should start middle jan as there is about a 1 meter drop from left to right over the 12m width. Will post pictures as we go.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    Eish..

They won't approve plans for a Vibracrete wall as it's the load bearing wall.
    A Vibracrete wall can barely hold itself up, never mind a roof!

I'd rather use poles & corrugated iron sheeting like in an informal settlement.

What's next Johnno, suggesting instead of hurricane clips that he place old tyres, ripening pumpkins & rocks on the roof?
    As long as the tyres are filled wif water, it should be good.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2