Lions in camp Mabua - poll - Page 3

View Poll Results: Have you had lions in camp and felt threatened?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes had lions close up in camp but did not feel threatened

33 40.24%
  • Yes had lions in camp but they kept their distance

8 9.76%
  • Yes had lions in camp, felt threated as they did not keep their distance

6 7.32%
  • No, never had lions in camp

15 18.29%
  • Never camped in Mabua

20 24.39%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Lions in camp Mabua - poll

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    IMHO that might not be so easy as they have now made the association between water and humans- this could make them more aggressive in their search for water around campsites.
    Agree might not be easy but is at least moving in the right direction. Alternatively they might fence in the camp sites
    Last edited by Tobie4x4; 2018/01/25 at 02:04 PM.
    Tobie Oosthuizen
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS 4X4
    RSI canopy & Frontrunner Slimline roofrack

IMHO that might not be so easy as they have now made the association between water and humans- this could make them more aggressive in their search for water around campsites.
    Start with a new batch of lions or give the current one's 'n goeie pak slae
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Or less.

Just as we learn their behaviour, so they learn ours. it would be an interesting study to see if they are learning our water habits. We shower in the mornings or before dusk ...... do they know this ?

Do they know which camps have water or are they just taking a chance ?

We followed two lioness from Mabua 3 on our first trip there and they went to a brick structure across the pan to look for water. We were told that this was part of the solar pump set up but had not worked for some time. Yet they went to to look so at some time it was source for them.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

I'll never second guess lion behaviour, even if certian aspects of their habits have been studied by experts and the like I'll remain the scary cat. Lions surely use habit and memory to find sources of water when they need to. Some experts claim (after studies) that the use of their strong sense of smell is most prevalent and effective for finding water in dry or desert-like environs.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks! The lions will not change their habits especially if nothing else really changes. Replacing the said lions with new "unlearned" ones will only be a temporary solution until they too "learn" the same habits. Fencing IMHO will not solve the problem and will only destroy the real bush feel of Mabua, that I love. What about leopard, which are real stealthy stalkers and can't be controlled by fences? Who will manage the condition of fences where holes are continually dug by numerous animals?

Is the answer to take away all water sources and only pump water into the pans. No, I doubt that this would work as our water habits will remain a source for a thirsty lion. Lion are also not only found "camp highjacking" at campsites with water - they have been found at dry sites as well. The shade of the A-frame?

A solution is more complicated or maybe we must just accept the problem as it is and be more aware and careful of our surrounds and behaviour. Maybe the problem was exercabated over the past few years with the increase in volumes of tourists to Mabua and with sites being modernised (water taps, showers and pit latrines).
    Last edited by TRON; 2017/12/27 at 02:08 PM.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:

Robbie, Mabua is a "MUST GO" destination. In a roof top tent or a rip stop canvas ground tent: all the same. And if you are lucky enough to experience lions in your camp, so much better. It is a once in a lifetime experience.
    Two years ago we camped at Mabua 2. Sitting next to the campfire a 9h00 in the evening, we heard a funny noise towards the right.Switching on the spot light we saw a male and two females approaching our campsite. We scrambled for the bakkie, and when we looked back the male was passing our campfire and chairs. For one and a half hours they entertained us,by playing around in our camp. Eventually the decided that it was time to go and with deep loud roars left our camp and wandered off into the pan.

Gaan en geniet Mabua.
    Alit

Wees altyd bedagsaam teenoor ander.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alit For This Useful Post:

Tobie, Have been to Mabua many times (and had lions in the camp 80% of the time), and it's worth being careful if you're alone and need to shower, as the shower cubicles are circular and do not have any "see through" vantage points. If you are alone, take a decent mirror, so you can see behind you if you're on the ground. An RTT is the way to go, preferably with some solar lighting.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Timmo For This Useful Post:

With respect to the lady that got injured in Matopi we should probably include leopards in the above (or new poll).

I will still be going to Mabua in May and CKGR in Aug in my RV5 Oztent with fallback inside my bakkie canopy. I will be very careful and try to not fall asleep in my chair during the day. I use a garden spray bottel for shower sommer next to the bakkie. I might look for a experiencd travelbuddy closer to the time to join if I feel not comftable. At least somebody to chat with and exchange live stories with

Camp booked and planning started,. Anybody might be interested?
    Last edited by Tobie4x4; 2018/01/25 at 02:06 PM.
    Tobie Oosthuizen
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS 4X4

So lyk ek na Breakfast!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hoop bokvleis
    Tobie Oosthuizen
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS 4X4

Post Re: Lions in camp Mabua - poll

Hi fellow bush lovers

We will be camping at Mabua, Polentswa and Matopi towards the end of March 2018. I am keeping a close eye on all the threats on the forum that covers Mabua and surrounds

It will be a live long dream to camp there as we visited the SA side many many times

We will come from Nossob yes with trailers/off road caravans. We are 4 famailies.

It seems like we will be able to get water at Mabua from the pictures on this threat, as we will camp there for 2 nights?

Any advice on how to be save etc. What to do and not. We have camped all over Southern Africa with no fences, but still would like to get your feedback

Thanks

Piet the Camper

Only advice I can give is not to be complacent, even if you think there is nothing around. 4 spotted hyena gave us plenty trouble last time we were there. 4 families is a lot to concern yourself over. I would have someone on guard duty with that many people around. Not just Mabua, Polentswa and Rooiputs too.

In Tzendze we had a honey badger drag our rubbish bag off the tree where we had hung it and the next night walked calmly under our table between our legs. Tzendze is fenced
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Tzenze is magic!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3