Ford & Mazda Everest 3.0 TDCi 4x4 ltd auto fuel consumption high - am I alone?

Default Everest 3.0 TDCi 4x4 ltd auto fuel consumption high - am I alone?

I bought the vehicle 2nd hand from a colleague. It's a 2011 model with 78 000km and was in great condition except for a dent on the left rear corner panel where his grandson's bicycle fell against it. Was only used for city driving until I got it in May 2014. Ever since then, besides normal open road traveling for weekends and holidays away, it's done only one trip to Moz, one through Baviaanskloof and a few tame gravel trips in the Western Cape. I've had two kids since I bought it, and the girl only turned 1 this week so I haven't been able to convince my wife that we are ready to go camping again but I haven't quit yet.

I only drive the vehicle on weekends and holidays (whenever we go away out of town) and use my platkarretjie to commute. I'm very happy with the Everest and have only had a u-joint on the front propshaft go (fixed before it broke) and a minor hassle with the gear selector where it had to be pushed further and further to get it into drive. My mechanic is a wizard and he sorted it out by adjusting something and it's been fine since. It's only done 112 000km and I figure I'll probably drive it for at least ten more years (I'm saving for the kids' education so no more big toys for dad).

My only gripe with the vehicle is that it is quite heavy on fuel. It's a fairly large vehicle and 4x4 with an auto box and it's always fully loaded even if we only go away for a weekend, but I'm not getting anywhere near what the manufacturer claims and what I've seen other people say they get here. My best consumption (and it only happened once) was 10,5l/100km. On average I get 11,7l/100km and when I towed a heavy trailer when I moved to Worcester from Pretoria it got as bad as almost 20l/100km.

I'm a very laid back driver. I pull away very gently, accelerate slowly and don't exceed the speed limit. I don't brake harshly and most of my driving is open, tar road for now. I don't tow anything yet (the camping trailer is parked in the garage for now but I'm kitting it out so mom doesn't have any excuse not to go as soon as baby is ready) and I only occasionally put a bicycle or kayak on the Thule roof rack (but I haven't noticed that making any difference).

Is there something wrong with the vehicle or is the 4x4 auto just that heavy?
    Chris Smal

Colt Trailbuster 2400i - sold 2014
    Ford Everest LTD - bought 2014
    Toyota RAV4 VX platkar - bought 2018

Default Re: Everest 3.0 TDCi 4x4 ltd auto fuel consumption high - am I alone?

Those figures are really not bad, I have the manual 4x2 version and it gets 10l/100km.
    2017 Honda Jazz 1.2
    EX: 2011 Ford Ranger 3.0 TDCi D/C
    Ex: 2008 X3 2.0d

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Buffy_ZA For This Useful Post:

Baas,

I have a 2013 Ltd auto and get between 8.6 (lowest) and ~10 L/100km on the open road cruising.
    I don't do any heavy towing with it but a light single bike trailer (~300kg) makes almost no difference to the consumption on the open road.
    I have found the most economical speed for cruising is about 130km/h on the speedo (125 GPS).

Around town is a different story. Consumption varies wildly depending on traffic and ranges between 11 and 14 L/100km.
    The gearbox is a bit lazy with gear changes and most times in traffic appears to be riding on the torque converter slip.

Just a word of warning on towing. These model everests are only rated to tow 1200kg in SA

Cheers

W

Other thing I have found is that these engines do better on 50ppm Engen diesel.
    Sasol 10ppm gives me the worst consumption figures.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wooky For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wooky View Post
    Baas,

I have a 2013 Ltd auto and get between 8.6 (lowest) and ~10 L/100km on the open road cruising.
    I don't do any heavy towing with it but a light single bike trailer (~300kg) makes almost no difference to the consumption on the open road.
    I have found the most economical speed for cruising is about 130km/h on the speedo (125 GPS).

Around town is a different story. Consumption varies wildly depending on traffic and ranges between 11 and 14 L/100km.
    The gearbox is a bit lazy with gear changes and most times in traffic appears to be riding on the torque converter slip.

Just a word of warning on towing. These model everests are only rated to tow 1200kg in SA

Cheers

W
    Those are great figures! I've never got anywhere near it and I have to wonder why? I do 80% open and only 20% town and my combined almost never gets better than 11,7l/100km. I'd be happy if I could even just get 11 and overjoyed if I could get 10. I can't believe you get 8,6.

The trailer I towed didn't exceed 1200kg but had a fridge, couch, washing machine and bed on it so would have had a lot of drag. My camping trailer is a Venter Bushbaby of 750kg. Thanks for the warning though.
    Chris Smal

Put the overdrive off in town.

It will make a massive difference

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

a five cylinder bakkie

My son's average is 11.5 combined cycle

He gets about 10.5 l/100 on the open road. And he drives fast

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

a five cylinder bakkie

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Put the overdrive off in town.

It will make a massive difference
    I always do, it tends to shift up and down between 4 and 5 if you don't
    Chris Smal

The 8.6L/100km was with H/T tyres on. I have seen an increase since I have fitted the A/T tyres of ~1L/100km

Here is my log book for the last 4 years.... Mostly town driving with a few long trips.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wooky For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wooky View Post
    The 8.6L/100km was with H/T tyres on. I have seen an increase since I have fitted the A/T tyres of ~1L/100km

Here is my log book for the last 4 years.... Mostly town driving with a few long trips.
    Maybe it's the A/T tyres then. I've bought the vehicle with them on and put a new set on around 90 000km
    Chris Smal

Could be. I am still on the stock tyres size. Going up in size could also do it.
    I have also noticed that the everest is very sensitive to tyre pressures both in the handling and consumption.
    I stick to the recommended pressures religiously but very seldom run with much load onboard.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wooky For This Useful Post:

I have the 2010 3.0l auto. I changed tyres to 265x70x16. Fuel consumption on average 10,5 to 11,4l/100km in mixed cycle
    Steady open road gives about 10l/100km
    I recently did southern Namibia with the Explorer and the worst was 19l/100km. Best with caravan 16-17l/100km.

On tar I pump tyres to 2,2 bar.

I am a bit of a heavy foot driver

Went to Stilbaai and Cederberg over December. On the first trip I drove "normally" not exceeding 120km/h on the speedo and got 11.4l/100km on the way to Stilbaai and 13.6 on the way back. No apparent explanation for this difference.
    On the second trip I was towing the Bushbaby and had 3 adults and 2 kids in the vehicle but stuck to 100km/h GPS speed. Got 11.9 on the way there and 14.3 driving in the Cederberg.
    Then did a trip without the trailer to Cape Town and with about 30% town driving got 10.7. Again stuck to 100km/h GPS speed on the open road.
    All of the driving was with gradual acceleration.

My conclusion is that exceeding 100km/h GPS speed is the cardinal sin in this vehicle. Switching to Discovery Insure soon in the hope to save some fuel cost with their cash back program.
    Chris Smal