Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Grand Vitara noise when accelerating

Quote Originally Posted by ihtun101 View Post
    Thanks. I'll check that. But if it is the bearing, wouldn't the noise be there when I'm just coasting and not applying petrol? The noise is only there when I apply petrol or in cruise control.
    Yip, one would think so but it could be that they humm when under strain only.
    Johan Swanepoel

"Nkabe ke ngwana wa morago"

Hi All,

I had this wining noise with my 3.2. Starts around 80 kph and quite prominent around 115 - 120 kph. Strangely enough, it disappears around 130 kph.
    After reading up on this thread, I took it to a dealership to day and got powersteering pump fluid changed. The noise is still there but at least it is bearable.
    Will it eventually go away or will I need to change the pump entirely?
    If you think about it logically, things that are speed related tend to point towards wheel rotation, as they are the only things which rotate faster as you change speed. If it was rev related, you should be able to mimic it by using a lower gear at a lower speed - GV at 120 is only about 2200 rpm, so that would be easy to replicate.

Wheel bearings you can usually hear increase in noise if you turn left to tight while driving down a straight road and put the wheels under pressure, you do not need to be going fast. It could also be something like wheel balancing and the speed at which it occurs suggests a rear wheel issue ... but would that be a whine? Bearings tend to hum more than whine ... also check your oil seals on the diffs and make sure you have not lost fluid - maybe its a good idea to do a diff oil change....the whining gets me, its a weird sound to be hearing.

Suzi Blue 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Air Lift 1000 60902 Kit, 16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres
    Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates, Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    Metalian Genie Trailer

Took it to Steve Auto Clinic in Centurion. They diagnosed that it's not the bearing but in the transmission box somewhere.

Took it to Steve Auto Clinic in Centurion. They diagnosed that it's not the bearing but in the transmission box somewhere.
    If it was mine, first thing I would do is fluid changes, both diffs, transfer case and transmission. For the transmission you are wanting to do at least 3 replacements of 3l at a time with a bit of driving say 100 km between each to allow the new fluid to mix with the old - this way you will get as much old fluid out as possible without shocking the system too much - have done a write up on it in the GV sticky. Good luck!

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Air Lift 1000 60902 Kit, 16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres
    Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates, Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    Metalian Genie Trailer

5. The Following User Says Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:

Took it to SAC yesterday to change diff, transmission and transfer box oils. They were only able to change diff and transfer box oil because they were not able to get transmission filter.
    The car is definitely smoother and quieter. The whining noise is still there (especially between 100 and 120 kph) but much less audible.
    Not a cheap exercise though. They charged me R3047.

Took it to SAC yesterday to change diff, transmission and transfer box oils. They were only able to change diff and transfer box oil because they were not able to get transmission filter.
    The car is definitely smoother and quieter. The whining noise is still there (especially between 100 and 120 kph) but much less audible.
    Not a cheap exercise though. They charged me R3047.
    Holy hells bells wtf

That's just over 3l of GL5 hypoid gear axle oils (you can buy a decent 5l for under R1000) ... I hate to think what they will charge you for the transmission fluid!!!

If they plan to remove the transmission fluid filter, that is a big job as you have to remove the entire exhaust manifold from the engine to remove the transmission sump pan, and will also require a new gasket. Interestingly, as far as we can make out the transmission rebuild kit which includes the the sump pan gasket and filter are the same for the 3.2 GV (Rebuild Kit) as the Toyota FJ Cruiser (Rebuild Kit) ... we seem to have the same A750E transmission internals! Just for info, if you do go this route ...

We share transmission components with these fine vehicles ...

Name:  tx.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  71.7 KB

IMHO this is unnecessary - I have done two transmission fluid replacements on mine (consisting of 3 x 3L each time) over the last 100 000kms - I may consider the filter as I approach 300 000kms

Good news that the noise is now less with new oils - did they advise if the oils were contaminated or if the magnets had lots of metal parts in them - possibly diff wind up has occurred from driving on tar with 4ll or 4hl engaged?
    Last edited by daveysmith; 2021/07/01 at 09:51 AM.

Metalian Genie Trailer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2