Tow ball recovery (***WARNING VERY GRAPHIC***) - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Tow ball recovery (***WARNING VERY GRAPHIC***)

This injury was caused by an exploding cell phone, according to the Brazillians on my rig.
    One of them showed me the footage at the hospital only, with Portuguese commentary, explaining the dangers of charging phones.
    It goes on to say that the man died of shock.
    It does seem unbelievable that a cell phone can do this.

At the end of the video (the 4x4 chain breaking video), the woman at the hospital is speaking in Portuguese, and it sounds like a Brazillian dialect.
    I can't access YouTube from here, perhaps somebody could search for "exploding cell Phone injury " , see what shows up.
    2008 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2000 Hilux Raider 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    This injury was caused by an exploding cell phone, according to the Brazillians on my rig.
    One of them showed me the footage at the hospital only, with Portuguese commentary, explaining the dangers of charging phones.

At the end of the video (the 4x4 chain breaking video), the woman at the hospital is speaking in Portuguese, and it sounds like a Brazillian dialect.
    I can't access YouTube from here, perhaps somebody could search for "exploding cell Phone injury " , see what shows up.
    I can't really comment on the above statement there are just too many unknowns. However, I found numerous websites with titles like "worst cell phone explosions" and that guy is not among them. All cell explosions had burn marks. I find the cell phone thing a bit hard to believe.

I also found the youtube video. The title of the video explains that the chain broke and the driver unfortunately died. I will replace the video link with the youtube link.

The questions remain the same: why was proper techniques not followed? Why was the bonnet not open? It could have stopped the chain.

Sent from my samsung phone
    Last edited by Captainhook; 2017/12/15 at 06:42 AM.
    Charl

2008 Triton 3.5 V6 (4x4) D/C
    2001 M-Benz C200K
    2009 D4D Hilux SC 4x4 - Sold

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Captainhook For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post

The guy in hospital is very clean for a guy that have been mudding.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhook View Post
    This is a point I can argue from a bullet proof vest scientific point of view. Maybe we should call in the Mythbusters on this one.
    I have seen what damage the snatch rope alone did to my Jeep on the rear corner where it is tripple plated and I have seen pics of a shackle going into the no 1 cilinder. Being in the motor repair business, I know how weak a bonnet is.

No need to call Mythbusters, just listen to guys with experience.

I cant download the video.I thought a good chain was relatively safe. ?But I try to never get stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I cant download the video.I thought a good chain was relatively safe. ?But I try to never get stuck.
    The chain would have been safe it it was used for pulling and not snatching...
    Use the Right Tool for the Job.
    "If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail"
    Patrol TB48
    Patrol TD42T
    Ex-4x4-partners:
    105 Cruiser
    80 Cruiser
    60 Cruiser
    Tdi Defender
    2.8D Hilux

http://4x4africa.co.za/

It's videos like this that eliminates the stupid gene pool from society
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

If the bonnet is open, I seriously doubt that anything will go through it. Remember a bonnet is not solid, so anything flying in the direction of the bonnet will lose most of its energy as it hits the bonnet till it pushes it all the way back onto the win screen. Then it still has to have enough energy to go through the bonnet pulling a chain and strap and then go thorough the windscreen and hit the person. If it could do all of this the injuries would not be those as shown in the video.

Those injuries are from a gunshot.
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.