Branches for Hilux v6

Default Branches for Hilux v6

Powerflow Bellville did not recommend branches for the V6.
    I can hardly believe this as I thought equal length emission of exhaust gas is a definite plus.
    Any views on this?

Default Re: Branches for Hilux v6

Not always. Depends a lot on crank plane, cam and ignition timing and also things like VVTi.

Nice article:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1111p...-size-headers/

I'd trust Powerflow, they've been around for a while and have done their homework.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

The very basics engine performance is based on is to get the biggest charge as fast as possible in the chamber. Then to get rid of it as quickly as possible after ignition. If you cannot increase the charge then you will have a very small power increase with branches and exhausts.

Also keep in mind modern engines have heads and intakes optimized to a level where not much can be done to improve performance on a natural aspirated engine.

Yes you can waste your money by adding a branch. Also remember branches increases under bonnet temps.

If still tempted the Yanks make nice branches for the 4.0l
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Here is a VERY basic header calculator:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/header_length.php

As you can see, when valve timing changes, the header length needs to change. If any engine has VVTi, then you might be creating customer headers that can actually cause a significant LOSS of power at certain revs.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I have done a serious study on exhaust systems. It is all about flow. Cam timing, lift and duration is bring into the calculation to determine max flow at max rpm. VVTI will have no influence if a branch is designed for the maximum flow of the engine.

Branches and free flow show very little gain on normal aspirated engines. It is only part of a performance upgrade. You need to do heads, cams, intake and injection or carburetion to get gains worth mentioning.

A fact is that many spend money on systems that is not well designed or overkill.

I am currently busy building my own flow bench to optimise my engine builds.

Jelo and what is left out of that formula is port sizes and port flow rates. Exhaust ports can become critical. You can bold the very same branch on a stock 302 Ford v8 head with tiny ports that will make the header useless. Bolt that same header to a aftermarket alu head with huge ports matched to the branch and you will add useable HP.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.