Advice needed on Moz Road please

Default Advice needed on Moz Road please

I am planning to travel to Moz via Hlane in Swaziland, through the Lomahasha Border post , turning right on the E251 and then onto the 202 all the way down to Ponta Do Oura;

1)Would I be able to drag the Explorer along on these roads/ sand dunes?

2) Is the Maputo Game Reserve worth visiting?

Much appreciated

Vince
    Vince Aslett
    2013 Pathfinder 2.5
    2011 Sprite Tourer SP
    2014 Venter Bush Baby

when are you going down. i will just check my road numbers as i have travelled from ponta to goba border into swaziland towing a fully loaded bush baby trailer with my colt. only problem is the stretch between zitundo and salamanga as it is very sandy when dry.(like powder you sink into) and very deep water when they had rain. let me know and i'l come back to you. also stayed in piet retief from 1990 to 2000. just came back from moz (morrungullu)

Koekies Koekemoer Stdton MP
    2004 Kia Sorento 3.5 V6 A/T
    '98 Colt Rodeo DC 4x4 V6 ;tnt branches;cooper STT'sastek Unichip;
    Suzuki LTZ 400 '05
    Craig 27Mhz SSB;
    Kirisun VHF
    ORRA ( B61 )
    ZS6CK

Smile

Thanks for the advice Koekies, I mapped the route on T4A (Have nver been that far North in Moz) I am planning to go camping at Ponta for a week after the 1st Term School holidays . I will map your detail. You do not have the Co-ordinates of the powder sand?

Much appreciated
    Vince Aslett
    2013 Pathfinder 2.5
    2011 Sprite Tourer SP
    2014 Venter Bush Baby

V , weve just done part of this route after returning from Pomene , crossed ferry from Maputo to Catembe . Rd from Catembe to Salamanga is not good , although not your exact route 90% to Sala was terrible , shake rattle and roll .
    From Sala onwards started getting sandy , didnt have any probs . No sand dunes anywhere . Just similar to the sand tracks around ponto .

We did Catembe to Ponto 3 hours , not towing , you're coming from further so Swazi to Ponto work 5-6 hours .

Didnt see Maputo Elephant Reserve , time constraints , but i believe it could be worth a visit or day trip from ponto .

Thanks PG, just a quick one, I can't find Catembe on Mapsource, only Catemba which is way up north. You mentioned a ferry crossing?

I have been thinking about a recce trip just with vehicle over a weekend to suss it out

Vince
    Vince Aslett
    2013 Pathfinder 2.5
    2011 Sprite Tourer SP
    2014 Venter Bush Baby

V , the Catembe ferry is used across Maputo harbour channel , as opposed to driving around through Boane onto the 202 . Can be used either way .
    The controls around Ponto border arent as tight as Swazi and SA , so Map-Catembe-Ponto is a common route for illegals . ie . i drop you here , you meet me other side .
    Its a very quiet route , we passed 2 taxis/2wd vehicles in 3 hours .

Maputo Ellie reserve is a fair size , if you've got the time you can drive right to the Northern Point across from Inhaca .

catembe S26 00.654 E32 34.012

Cool

Thanks PG, much appreciated - picked it up with T4A. I have never towed the Explorer on sand, sure it would be ok if I let all the tyres down to 1 Bar

Vince
    Vince Aslett
    2013 Pathfinder 2.5
    2011 Sprite Tourer SP
    2014 Venter Bush Baby

you'll walk it , i deflated 1.6 on the gravel parts ( not towing ) , then 1.0 in the sand .

Vince

I have towed my Xplorer in Moz as wells as Botswana and they tow very well in the sand. In Bots I went down to 1.5 Bar and had no problem, but in Moz although I was also at 1.5 Bar I battled a bit until I realised that the jockey wheel was catching.

If you take the jockey wheel off and deflate to 1.3 to 1.5 bar there is no reason why you wont make ot all the way with out hassles.

Enjoy the trip.
    Thomas

2007 3.0 D4D DC 4X4 31 " Bridgestone A/T, Ride Rite,Long Range Tanks, NL Dual Battery System
    2008 Jurgens Xplorer
    2012 Pajero GLX Now with Air Max on the back

Murrayvz Guest

Default Mozambique Roads

While we are on the subject, could anyone offer me some advice. I have recently bought a 2004 Legend 3.0 Kzte 4 x 2 and want to travel to Ponto Do Ouro via Sodwana.
    Will I get through in the Hilux or do I need to make alternative arrangements and get a 4x4 for the trip. The 4x2 has diff lock and oversize tyres fitted. Any advice would be most welcome!!

Thanks guys, I had a look at the Jockey wheel, it seems to pull up quite high, basically level with the A-frame

Murray, I have just been to Ponta via Kosi Border post, and the condition was such that I do not believe that you should have a problem as long as you let the tyres down to 1 bar and keep momentum through the thicker patches

Rgds

Vince
    Vince Aslett
    2013 Pathfinder 2.5
    2011 Sprite Tourer SP
    2014 Venter Bush Baby

Vince

The Jockey wheel does pull up quite high, but it sticks out enough to cause a bit of a hassle on the high middle "mannetjies"
    Last edited by ThomasT; 2009/01/21 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Spelling mind not all there at the moment
    Thomas

2007 3.0 D4D DC 4X4 31 " Bridgestone A/T, Ride Rite,Long Range Tanks, NL Dual Battery System
    2008 Jurgens Xplorer
    2012 Pajero GLX Now with Air Max on the back

@Murray , you should be fine if you stick to the main tracks , deflate 1.0 bar , keep it moving in the soft stuff . Enjoy .