Tracks4Africa Guide Map app review - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Tracks4Africa Guide Map app review

Quote Originally Posted by Lizette Swart View Post
    Hallo Hendel,

Jammer ek antwoord nou eers, ek was landuit uit vir 2 weke! Ja ons kyk na die kaart verbeter vir die Guide App, en om 'n "legend" by te voeg. In die algemeen is die soliede lyne hoof roetes (nasionale paaie, metro paaie, ens.) en is gewoonlik rooi of oranje. Bruin soliede lyne is dan kleiner paaie, en stippellyne is "minor" roads, bv. 4x4 roetes en hiking trails. Spoorlyne word aangedui deur wit en grys stippellyne.

Ek hoop dit help, ek sal hierso laat weet sodra die kaart op datum gebring is.

Groete

Lizette
    Dankie Lizette.

Ek sien uit na die verbetering op die kaarte, dit sal baie waarde heg!
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

Hi Lizette,

Surely if you are able to export .gpx files off the phone from the track log, are you not then able to import the gpx files and routes created from google earth or other applications?
    2015 Mazda BT-50 3.2 mt 4x4

Hi there,

I am planning a 12 months trip across Southern / East Africa (departing from Cape Town by the east coast all the way to Ethiopia / Sudan - subject to safety and security issues - and back to CT inland) and was considering T4A. I have been reading this and other blogs/forums, and was wondering what would you recommend between the T4A Overland Navigator app and the T4A Guide Map app? Any thoughts on why the one option is better than the other are welcome.

Also, I have a Samsung with 5.5" screen and an iPad (GPS capable). I figured it would be easier / better to have it on my iPad, again any thoughts are welcome

Thanks,
    Javi

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkies View Post
    Hi Lizette,

Surely if you are able to export .gpx files off the phone from the track log, are you not then able to import the gpx files and routes created from google earth or other applications?

Hi Sokkies

Never thought to try that (palm slap) - I connect my phone and copy my tracks from there, will see if I can copy a planned route to the same location on the phone and if I can then follow that route.

Will let you know!

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by javi.relancio View Post
    Hi there,

I am planning a 12 months trip across Southern / East Africa (departing from Cape Town by the east coast all the way to Ethiopia / Sudan - subject to safety and security issues - and back to CT inland) and was considering T4A. I have been reading this and other blogs/forums, and was wondering what would you recommend between the T4A Overland Navigator app and the T4A Guide Map app? Any thoughts on why the one option is better than the other are welcome.

Also, I have a Samsung with 5.5" screen and an iPad (GPS capable). I figured it would be easier / better to have it on my iPad, again any thoughts are welcome

Thanks,
    Javi
    Hallo Javi,

My apologies for only replying now, I was on a tour and only back in the office today. The two apps that you mention, are two different things. The Overland navigator app works like a GPS, and is used to plan a route, and navigate along the route. The Guide App cannot navigate - it shows your GPS position on the map with a blue dot, and you can then turn on the services on the map to see what is around you - for instance if you are driving, and need the nearest fuel station, you can see where the fuel stops are around you. You can then click on a dot that indicates fuel, and it will give you the name of the fuel station - unfortunately you cannot navigate from here, and you will use the overland navigator app to navigate to the fuel station.

If you are not looking for detailed instructions, e.g. you simply want to know where you are and where the next town is, you can see this on the guide app. But the map we use on this app, is a .jpg image that we use as background, and you cannot zoom in far enough to navigate the streets in a town. But the guide app will give you more information on e.g. the town ahead (a short description and what services is available), or if you are looking for a campsite, it will give you more info on the campsite, etc.

I personally love the Guide App, and use it all the time. Lately I have become lazy carting my GPS around and have also used the Navigator app extensively - it is unfortunately not as intuitive as a GPS or Google Maps, so it takes some getting used to in the beginning! I use the Guide app to find e.g. a restaurant, and then use the Navigator app to navigate to it. The Navigator app does use a fair amount of battery (as does other navigational apps), so you would need to keep it plugged in.

Yes, a bigger screen is nice to use with both applications - but be aware that if you buy one for the Samsung, you also have to buy one for the ipad. If you have two Android devices, or two iPads, you can load the app on both devices. But as the operating system is different, I am afraid you will pay some money to the Google Play Store, as well as to iStore!

I hope that helps, please shout if you have more questions.

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizette Swart For This Useful Post:

Which one, Tracks4Africa guide maps or navigation, should I use for travelling?

Quote Originally Posted by Kudus View Post
    Which one, Tracks4Africa guide maps or navigation, should I use for travelling?
    Hallo Kudus,

If you want to use it for navigation, then the Overland Navigator App is the one that will give you directions (turn left, continue for x kilometres, etc.)

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Hi Lizette, wanneer is die update beskikbaar op die Guide App vir Apple?

Ek het opgelet dat die website se kaart is nou aansienlik beter. Is dit min of meer hoe die Guide App gaan lyk?
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Hendel1986 View Post
    Hi Lizette, wanneer is die update beskikbaar op die Guide App vir Apple?

Ek het opgelet dat die website se kaart is nou aansienlik beter. Is dit min of meer hoe die Guide App gaan lyk?
    Hallo Hendel,

Ja, die Guide App se kaart gaan nou soos ons kaart op die website lyk, baie beter. Ek kan jou nie 'n presiese datum gee vir wanneer die update gaan plaasvind nie, maar die plan is vir die nabye toekoms.

Groete

Lizette
    Last edited by Lizette Swart; 2019/07/19 at 09:49 AM.
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizette Swart For This Useful Post:

Dankie Lizette, ek sien uit om met hom te werk!
    Hallo Hendel,

Ja, die Guide App se kaart gaan nou soos ons kaart op die website lyk, baie beter. Ek kan jou nie 'n presiese datum gee vir wanneer die update gaan plaasvind nie, maar die plan is vir die nabye toekoms.

Groete

Lizette
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hendel1986 For This Useful Post:

Ek het gisteraand my Guide app se kaart opdateer. Lyk baie beter. Dankie.
    Ben

RY WAAR JY MAG MET PASSIE

2009 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D DC 4X4

Great Ben, bly jy hou daarvan!

Groete

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    Ek het gisteraand my Guide app se kaart opdateer. Lyk baie beter. Dankie.
    Ben, is dit op IOS of Android? Myne op die iPad, sal graag wil sien!
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

Hendel,

Beide behoort te update - jy download eers die update, dan maak jy die app oop, kies "manage maps" en dan moet jy dit een vir een update.

Laat my weet of jy regkom?

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Ek laat weet jou dankie Lizette.
    Hendel,

Beide behoort te update - jy download eers die update, dan maak jy die app oop, kies "manage maps" en dan moet jy dit een vir een update.

Laat my weet of jy regkom?

Lizette
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

Hi Lizette. Ek sien nie die update in my IOS App Store. So ek sit vas. Is dit miskien omdat die IOS out dated is?
    Ek laat weet jou dankie Lizette.
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

Ben, is dit op IOS of Android? Myne op die iPad, sal graag wil sien!
    Hendel ek het 'n Android (Samsung). Ek het die app oopgemaak, aan die regter kant bo is daar 3 strepies dit is die menu. Tap daarop en die menu maak oop, in die menu is daar "Manage Maps". Jy tap Manage Maps en jou "Maps en Guides" en "Maps and Guides Available" is daar. Op "My Maps and Guides" sal jy jou kaarte sien wat jy afgelaai het en in elke lyn sal jy sien "update". Wanneer jy elkeen update laai dit jou nuwe kaarte af. Hoop my verduideliking help.
    Ben

RY WAAR JY MAG MET PASSIE

2009 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D DC 4X4

Hendel,

Ek het so pas 'n iPhone probeer update maar dit lyk nie of dit al beskikbaar is nie. Ek het navraag gedoen met die developer, ek laat weet jou wat hy se sodra ek van hom hoor.

Groete

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Dankie Whiskey. Ek sien Lizette het reply dat die IOS is lyk my nog nie beskikbaar. Hopelik kan dit uitgesorteer word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    Hendel ek het 'n Android (Samsung). Ek het die app oopgemaak, aan die regter kant bo is daar 3 strepies dit is die menu. Tap daarop en die menu maak oop, in die menu is daar "Manage Maps". Jy tap Manage Maps en jou "Maps en Guides" en "Maps and Guides Available" is daar. Op "My Maps and Guides" sal jy jou kaarte sien wat jy afgelaai het en in elke lyn sal jy sien "update". Wanneer jy elkeen update laai dit jou nuwe kaarte af. Hoop my verduideliking help.
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hendel1986 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2