Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure opinions - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Default Re: Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure opinions

Only one question: Was it LT spec?
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind²)

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Over time it has been established that some people have got rather contrary opinions about the same tyres, based on experience.
    Possibly the Duelers OEMs put on new vehicles are different to the ones you buy in SA tyre shops.

Glad to hear they work for you. Had a fairly new OEM Dueler burst on gravel road many years ago. Never had that happen with another tyre.
    I don’t know of any of my acquaintances who like the Duelers, at least those who are aware of what tyres they got.
    Even my preferred tyre salesman at SupaQuick didn’t seem to think much of them.
    But you get that with most well known tyres: some love them, some hate them, think BFG for example.
    The Bridgestone Dueler 693 which is what many new vehicles are supplied with in Sa is going to be rubbish as OE or aftermarket, it's an all season tyre with a tread made for snow. I'm sure some of the Dueler summer tyres which is what the Sa market uses are pretty decent though.

The 693 looks like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Out of those 3 the GY is definitely the best performer.

They do have the Kevlar stamp on the wall but the Kevlar is only in the tread on Sa made Adventures. In the US they have it in the sidewall as well and they appear to be quite a pricy tyre over there.

On the Sa Adventures I wonder if there is at least some Kevlar wrap over on the shoulder of the tyre or if it is only laid strictly beneath the tread lines?

And apart from strength would the Kevlar make a tyre stiffer or more flexible?
    The Kevlar stamp is not on the 18" Adventures. When I noticed, I asked the salesman to confirm whether the 18's has kevlar reinforcement in the sidewalls. He phoned GY and I personally spoke to the GY rep. According to him all GY Adventures have the kevlar in the sidewalls, but not all is made in the same countries. The 17" for example is made here in South Africa, and the brand of kevlar they use here in SA is the kevlar that was used when tyre was patented. The 18" is not made here, but imported. The Kevlar brand that's patented is not available in country of origin (can't remember where it comes from) and therefore they cannot brand the Kevlar symbol on the side. He assured me however that the quality is exactly the same and all Adventures across the world has Kevlar reinforced sidewalls. It is always possible that he could have lied to me, but I can't see why he would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Netler View Post
    The Kevlar stamp is not on the 18" Adventures. When I noticed, I asked the salesman to confirm whether the 18's has kevlar reinforcement in the sidewalls. He phoned GY and I personally spoke to the GY rep. According to him all GY Adventures have the kevlar in the sidewalls, but not all is made in the same countries. The 17" for example is made here in South Africa, and the brand of kevlar they use here in SA is the kevlar that was used when tyre was patented. The 18" is not made here, but imported. The Kevlar brand that's patented is not available in country of origin (can't remember where it comes from) and therefore they cannot brand the Kevlar symbol on the side. He assured me however that the quality is exactly the same and all Adventures across the world has Kevlar reinforced sidewalls. It is always possible that he could have lied to me, but I can't see why he would do that.
    I got the same feedback from GY. Use the same Dupont or something material.

I have 18" and they are manufactured in Germany.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFS..._as=subscriber
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

He is talking BS, there was another thread about the sidewall Kevlar story, the 17"(which I fitted) made in SA do not have it on the sidewalls.
    FJC - Just Cruising

Funny. We had the 17's and 18's next to each other. 17" definitely had badge on. I am fitting new tyres for Swambo next month. Will take picture and post it here.

Sa made Adventures definitely do not have Kevlar/Aramide in the sidewalls, imported versions may.

Had a quick look at the thread you referred to. I will ask the fitment center to call GY again. Hopefully I can get a straight answer from the guy. I can't see how someone from GY will lie so blatantly as it carries a high risk for them. He very clearly stated SA Adventures has the Kevlar reinforced sidewall.

The Kevlar stamp is not on the 18" Adventures. When I noticed, I asked the salesman to confirm whether the 18's has kevlar reinforcement in the sidewalls. He phoned GY and I personally spoke to the GY rep. According to him all GY Adventures have the kevlar in the sidewalls, but not all is made in the same countries. .
    This is incorrect. The tread area has Kevlar, not the sidewall. The american Goodyears say 'Kevlar reinforced sidewalls' the locals simply say "Kevlar reinforced layer"

According to my Goodyear rep as well, this is a huge misconception in the market, and it seems Goodyear is benefiting from the misinformation
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebob View Post
    This is incorrect. The tread area has Kevlar, not the sidewall. The american Goodyears say 'Kevlar reinforced sidewalls' the locals simply say "Kevlar reinforced layer"

According to my Goodyear rep as well, this is a huge misconception in the market, and it seems Goodyear is benefiting from the misinformation
    Agree got the same from my tyre guy. I fitted 18inch made in Germany, just done 6000km through southern Namibia, looked for dirt roads.
    Performed well one puncture a rusty nail, fixed it. Happy with them. Look nice too.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebob View Post

yeah, something not right.

USA website.

DuPont™ Kevlar®
    Rugged strength provided by a layer of DuPont™ Kevlar.® (DuPont ™ and Kevlar® are trademarks or registered trademarks of E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company.

Durawall™ Technology
    The Durawall™ Technology helps prevent cuts in the sidewall.

SA website.

Kevlar® Reinforced Layer
    Reinforces the tread, offering the rugged strength needed to prevent punctures and cuts for a confident off-road driving.

DuraWall™ Technology
    Improves resistance against punctures and cuts in the sidewall area.

2015 Toyota Fortuner 2.5 d4d VNT 4speed Auto ( Cressida GearBox,Monroe GasMagnum4x4 Shocks)

Went to have a look at the tyres only to find out the guy has a brand new set of at/sa not the wrangler adventure....

I have put on 90 000 km on the Wrangler AT/SA's since I bought my Isuzu as a used vehicle. I don't know how many kms it had on before I got it, but definitely not brand new. Must say, I rotate all 5 wheels every 6 months so I don't later sit with an 6 year old new tyre I cannot use. Now I can change brands and still use all 5 wheels.

I am looking for new tyres now and the Adventures is on my shirt list.

In spite of the above confusion - it seems that the GY are excellent tires? With a low incidence of sidewall problems?

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    In spite of the above confusion - it seems that the GY are excellent tires? With a low incidence of sidewall problems?
    Had the GY AT/SA on my previous Amarok. Have the GY Adventures on my current Amarok. Havent had any complaints. Good handling wet & dry. Quiet on the road. Havent had any sidewall damage myself. My father just did 8000km through Namibia, which included Van Zyl's pas. Had one thread puncture whick he repaired. Nothing else. We are very happy with them.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6