Offroad trailer prices

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Offroad trailer prices

It seems that prices for offroad trailers are a bit of a secret. Not published on websites and a lot of companies take their time to respond to emails.

Can anybody give me an idea, more or less what price range the popular camping trailers are coming at? E.g. Jurgens XT120 & XT140, Mission Trailer, Metalian and others, that come as box trailers with TTT?

Thanks.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Offroad trailer prices

I cant comment on trailers specifically, but I assume that due to constant currency fluctuations manufactures are loath to commit pricing to any forum that lasts more than hours. I would assume that a lot of them don't often edit their websites and so don't want to have pricing fixed there that they need to commit to.

I would also assume that with all the options it would be difficult to provide a price and they will want to configure a system before they generate a quote. I also don't think they will invest in the tools to build your configuration like a dell website for example. Without demeaning the trailer builders, I would assume that they are mostly mechanical guys not given to spending their nights writing php, xml or similar.

I could be completely wrong but off the top of my head that would be my view on why they dont have online pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    I cant comment on trailers specifically, but I assume that due to constant currency fluctuations manufactures are loath to commit pricing to any forum that lasts more than hours. I would assume that a lot of them don't often edit their websites and so don't want to have pricing fixed there that they need to commit to.

I would also assume that with all the options it would be difficult to provide a price and they will want to configure a system before they generate a quote. I also don't think they will invest in the tools to build your configuration like a dell website for example. Without demeaning the trailer builders, I would assume that they are mostly mechanical guys not given to spending their nights writing php, xml or similar.

I could be completely wrong but off the top of my head that would be my view on why they dont have online pricing.
    I fully understand that. However, one needs to start somewhere. That's why I'm asking what price range I could expect, maybe some members who are researching prices or have purchased during the last 18 months could give me a heads up?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

The man want a thumbsuck price, for budget purposes. Just give him an amount - low and high amount. No words needed.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Stoffel For This Useful Post:

Something like OLX or Gumtree will give second hand pricing, sure, but that will give you and indication of new pricing.
    Thinus Enslin
    Potchefstroom
    VW Amarok BiTdi DC 4x4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Thi For This Useful Post:

The classifieds on this forum has a varied range of trailers...thats where Id start.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Finn McCool For This Useful Post:

Makro. Campmaster. 6 ft Wilderness 415 R 59999.00. Includes tent?

https://www.makro.co.za/sports-and-o...green-210878EA

Welcome.
    Last edited by Steady; 2017/11/28 at 08:08 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Steady For This Useful Post:

Conqueror Conquest II or a Metallian Maxi, NEW, should run you about R150k, depending on how you spec them...

2nd hand looks like the way to go.

https://www.junkmail.co.za/cars/acce...5cbf93d417694#

Discounted price with lots of extras that someone else has sorted for you.

edit - spelling.
    Last edited by Steady; 2017/11/28 at 08:14 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Steady For This Useful Post:

Thanks gents, getting an idea now. Unless one knows the market, I find it difficult to estimate the new price of a product just by looking at the 2nd hand market. But what I'm reading here and from the PMs I have received, too I can get a good idea as to what the prices are. A massive part of the expenses seem to be the equipment, not the trailer self.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Go on the Venter site and look at the Bush Baby as entry level ....
    also all the add-ons and 'furnishings' etc etc ... all with prices and specs

Basic braked trailer is about R50k and with all (their) optionals about R80k

Also additionally ...
    Big-ticket items incl freezer, full water system, battery/charging/electrics system tent
    awnings etc
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2017/11/28 at 09:18 PM.
    * The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251
    Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...
    2002 130 DC HCPU //81 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8.
    75 Series3 88 PUP.//17 Metalian Mini (Home from Home)

Caravan and Outdoor publishes price of trailers, caravans and off road caravans
    Attached Images Attached Images  

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveS For This Useful Post:

have a look at my Echo2, its brand new and just needs a RTT if you are into that..
    we can negotiate

http://www.4x4community.co.za/classi...w-21-21/cat/16

here was the total cost ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inv.JPG 
Views:	540 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	468743
    Last edited by D-tox; 2017/11/29 at 07:43 AM.

There is an insane amount of off road trailers on the market. The best is to google and compile a list of trailers that interest you.
    We bought the Offtrax Outplay just over a year ago for under R100k but was not fully specced but with all that we needed at that time.
    Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by D-tox View Post
    have a look at my Echo2, its brand new and just needs a RTT if you are into that..
    we can negotiate

http://www.4x4community.co.za/classi...w-21-21/cat/16

here was the total cost ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inv.JPG 
Views:	540 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	468743
    Thanks D-tox, certainly a very good price you are offering. My main problem would be to import that trailer to Namibia. Not sure how easy that is. Getting 2nd hand vehicles into the country is a real pain.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

R40k for the most basic ones, right up to R300k for the big ones with all the bells and whistles.

Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

Extras can add up to a lot, some vendors advertise their trailers at decent prices but then even items like a spare wheel are seen as extras so make sure that the price includes the basics.

Example of pricing, a Howling Moon Delux TTT will set you back about R25000, that is without awnings, wall sets or add a rooms. Power box R8000, Battery, drawers, lights, stove, gas bottle holders, fridge, water tank, water pump, etc and for some a spare wheel with bracket and before you know it the trailer is over R200k
    Land Rover is not a vehicle it is a cult!
    Gas Gas 300 with training wheels.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Congo For This Useful Post:

Ok, thanks. Lots of information about prices, thanks a lot!

In Namibia, the dealers don't really have stock, which can be viewed. Neither have I ever camped with anybody who got a trailer. In fact I haven't bee camping for a few years now, but would really like to get back into it. It is also not half as easy to rent an offroad camping trailer and try it out, as it is in SA.

Therefore I would really appreciate it, if you guys could enlighten me about a few more details:
    Looking at Venter & Jurgens, maybe Campmaster, they seem to be quite close and at the lower end of the price bracket with their bare bones trailer. On the photos e.g. the Venter Botswana braked trailer looks like a decently thought out trailer and with the optional extras it seems quite workable out of the box.
    What is the big difference between those Jurgens and Venter trailers compared to the Echos, Metalians, BL and other trailers from smaller manufacturers specializing in offroad trailers?
    Is it workmanship, durability, layout?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

I was drawling over trailers for about two years, before I then decided on a Conqueror. Had a big fancy in Echo as well. I am not going to step on toes trying to explain the deference between the cheaper and more expensive ones. Maybe just a remark, the cheaper ones are basically a modified suitcase traveler while the more expensive ones are more custom made for the job. At the end, horses for courses.

Then the availability is a slep as well. I would have liked to go and view all the available stock, but Bloemfontein is more or less the same as Nam. We have to travel all the way to Cape Town or Jhb to view them. Only agency in Bloem is Conqueror. Or try to attend next years NAMPO show, not sure who normally have stock on display.

I think you need to do the following home work. Why do you need a trailer. What are you prepared to pay, and what are the most basic stuff you need. How big, many people are you going to be. But then some stuff are very personal. Kitchen lay out for instance.

Sorry I can not really assist you.
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

28. The Following User Says Thank You to stevan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Ok, thanks. Lots of information about prices, thanks a lot!

In Namibia, the dealers don't really have stock, which can be viewed. Neither have I ever camped with anybody who got a trailer. In fact I haven't bee camping for a few years now, but would really like to get back into it. It is also not half as easy to rent an offroad camping trailer and try it out, as it is in SA.

Therefore I would really appreciate it, if you guys could enlighten me about a few more details:
    Looking at Venter & Jurgens, maybe Campmaster, they seem to be quite close and at the lower end of the price bracket with their bare bones trailer. On the photos e.g. the Venter Botswana braked trailer looks like a decently thought out trailer and with the optional extras it seems quite workable out of the box.
    What is the big difference between those Jurgens and Venter trailers compared to the Echos, Metalians, BL and other trailers from smaller manufacturers specializing in offroad trailers?
    Is it workmanship, durability, layout?
    yes yes and yes...
    like they say, you get what you pay for..

reason I went for the the Echo:
    -Chassis is made from 5mm laser cut steel plate then bent (not channel or lipped channel) galvanized.
    -body panels are pressed (like a car body) spot welded and sikaflex together
    -body is electroplated then covered in 2K automotive paint.
    -all bolts and nuts are tainless steel.
    -automotive rubbers for door seals.
    -container style closing mechanism.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to D-tox For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast