Hilux Vigo v6 ECU Issues

Default Hilux Vigo v6 ECU Issues

Hi community! Looking for some advise on who to send my 07 hilux 4.0 v6 for some help on my (What apprears to be unique) issue?? Really scratching my head with this one, so much so I'm contemplating selling!

Long story short, after sending my hilux in to a well known franchise performance shop for branches, exhaust and uni-chip i instantly picked up some strange issues.
    On my way home to Richards Bay from franchise in Durban the engine management light came on and since then comes on and off with longer periods of being on than off. Also having issues with 3 jerks between 2500 and 3000rpms, engine "PINGS" as if timing out and also pumps black smoke at high rpm. Also smokes when motor pings and has intermittent bursts of power then loss of power. Have had the van at a local dyno shop numerous occasions (franchise would take no responsibility or offer any assistance to rectify) and afraid nothing he has tried has worked out. I'm starting to feel like a bad rash on this poor guy who cannot seem to find the issue. Problem been going on for about a year or so, motor has yet to go "bang" but I would really appreciate some expert knowledge and advise to have my Hilux sorted out...
    Seriously regretting having fiddled with her as there was no issues at all with her. Just had an itch!
    Any suggestions welcomed.
    Thanks, Garth.

Default Re: Hilux Vigo v6 ECU Issues

Take out the chip and restore to original would be my suggestion.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Check your knock sensors, they destroyed mine on my 4.5 efi when they had it on the dyno.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to trevorf For This Useful Post:

Hi Garth,

I had my 360 V6 at - I strongly suspect - the same company ( well known "experts" ) in Durban for a unichip / freeflow and dyna. After this the Isusu never the same again and I eventually got rid of it. If they removed the "cats" you probably have faulty readings from the Lambda sensors and / or "cat-foolers". I also immediately coming from these guys started having problems with coilpacks letting go one after the other at R5000 a pop. Symptoms was misfiring and vehicle dying for no reason. I eventually determined that my ECU got damaged in all of the above.

The gain in power ( no better fuel consumption though) was enjoyable but less so stranded on the side of the road weekly.

Your best advice is from Francios - put the Hilux back to standard asap. Hopefully you can still undo the "damage" - otherswise your wallet is in for a hiding.

I have been cured of chips & dyna's to last me many lifetimes. Will NEVER be otherwise convinced.

Keep us posted.

Mooi bly,

Jaco
    Last edited by jaconell; 2017/11/25 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Take out the chip and restore to original would be my suggestion.
    seconded

chips are for eating with fish and burgers and maybe ribs, they are not made for ramming into new generation EFI vehicles

let me guess: you asked for an economy tune?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I agree, you bought your vehicle to be reliable. As soon as you start playing with chips etc you compromise its reliability.