2008 Isuzu KB300 Dteq - not starting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2008 Isuzu KB300 Dteq - not starting

Good Morning everybody.

So my bakkie decided to have a bit of a break on Saturday, and now refuses to start.
    It all started on Saturday evening, while driving up the M19, she lost power and thereafter i had to pull over, and she switched off.
    Got the bakkie towed home and started troubleshooting Sunday morning.
    Had a look at all the fuses, and tested them by swapping them out with fuses from a friends running bakkie and still the same.
    Eventually had a look at the fuel filter, which seems 100% as it was changed about 3000kms ago.
    Then tried checking to see if the injectors where getting fuel, which it was, but not at speed, apparently the new diesel engines require high pressure
    Did anyone else have the same or similar issue?
    We are thinking its the fuel pump, that sits inside the tank
    But dealers want R9000 just for the part
    Anyone know of anyone else that will supply it?

Any input will be highly appreciated
    Thanks

Default Re: 2008 Isuzu KB300 Dteq - not starting

There is no fuel pump in the tank, unless that changed recently.

Your injector pump sucks the fuel from the tank.

That engine, once it got air in the fuel system won't start, regardless of how much you bleed it.

Firstly make sure that the fuel cut off valve wire (used to be white) going to the injector pump gets 12v when the vehicle ignition is on.

Then tow start the vehicle at around 20km/h, in 3rd gear. If it was an air lock it will start in about 100m or so.
    Last edited by Sakkie; 2017/11/21 at 01:46 PM.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

Hi Sakkie

Thanks for your response.
    i think the fuel pump in the tank is something new, which was only introduced to the Dteq engines.
    We jumped the gun, and stripped the bakkie to get to the fuel pump. I've attached pictures of it.
    After further investigation, it seems this pump is in working order. As we tested the pressure to be 2.0 bar when turning the ignition on.
    Just seeing your suggestion to look at the fuel cut off valve wire, will have a look at this tomorrow. After trying to start the bakkie so many times, the battery has gone low, so got the battery charging now.
    Another scary thought is it could be the injector pump, has anyone repaired/replaced theirs on the Dteq?
    Also if anyone has any other suggestion as to what i can check, please let me know

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171122_073606.jpg 
Views:	630 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	468599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171122_073600.jpg 
Views:	625 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	468600  

Not the crank sensor?

Rule out dirt/water in the fuel first by draining the water trap in the engine compartment at the back on passenger side - open the yellow valve all the way and turn on, repeat a few times - catch liquid in a bottle and you will easily see if water has got in. Fuel delivery pump needs to be back in tank for that to work so you might as well check the tank too.

Once all checked and if no problems you can prime the diesel line the same way but close the yellow valve before the 10 sec ignition timer goes off. Repeat a few times to remove air. Then prime and try start.

Next step: electrical fault / sensors
    Last edited by Gav.S; 2017/11/27 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav.S View Post
    Rule out dirt/water in the fuel first by draining the water trap in the engine compartment at the back on passenger side - open the yellow valve all the way and turn on, repeat a few times - catch liquid in a bottle and you will easily see if water has got in. Fuel delivery pump needs to be back in tank for that to work so you might as well check the tank too.

Once all checked and if no problems you can prime the diesel line the same way but close the yellow valve before the 10 sec ignition timer goes off. Repeat a few times to remove air. Then prime and try start.

Next step: electrical fault / sensors
    Many brands describe in detail in the owners manual how to do this.

Does the Isuzu not have a dash light for water trap being full like some other manufacturers?

Post Re: 2008 Isuzu KB300 Dteq - not starting

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the replies, i appreciate all the input
    We checked the crank sensor by testing mine on another running vehicle, and it started fine.

Regarding the water/dirty fuel, we drained the diesel filter to confirm that it wasnt clogged. And it looked perfect.

Also confirmed diesel is being pumped up to the yellow valve by opening it and watching the diesel come out while trying to start the van.

Does anyone know what other electrical parts i could check?

Maybe the suction control valve packed up completely instead of the usual warning by surging

Are your glow plugs working
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

I know there was a recall on the SCV, so i checked if i have the new type SCV, which it does
    Mine has the turquoise colour on the end of it. is there a way to check if it is malfunctioning?

Also do you know how i would check if the glow plugs are working? When i turn the ignition on, the light for the glow plugs comes on, and the switches off as normal.

Quote""To test SCV apply 12 volts to the solenoid and you will here the valve unit move back and forth"".

You don't need glowplugs in Durban this time of year. Even if they are screwed, that that won't prevent your vehicle from starting.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

Get a scanner and check error codes?

Strange one this, not the usual culprits.

No warning lights on the dash?
    2007 KB300 DC 4x2

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. Thatís why people with no sense of humor have such a strong sense of self-importance.

No warning lights at the moment, or when it stalled while driving.
    but having someone come do a diagnostics either today or tomorrow. hoping that will point me in the right direction.

Found anything yet?
    2007 KB300 DC 4x2

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. Thatís why people with no sense of humor have such a strong sense of self-importance.

Just a quick update, had the diagnostics done over the weekend, however there was no errors .
    So i can rule out anything electronic.
    We suspect/hope its the suction control valve. if not, then will need to get the injector pump looked at.
    I read that you can test the Suction Control Valve, by connecting it to 12v power, can anyone tell me what is it meant to do? or how is it suppose to work?

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenKB View Post
    Just a quick update, had the diagnostics done over the weekend, however there was no errors .
    So i can rule out anything electronic.
    We suspect/hope its the suction control valve. if not, then will need to get the injector pump looked at.
    I read that you can test the Suction Control Valve, by connecting it to 12v power, can anyone tell me what is it meant to do? or how is it suppose to work?
    Cannot really comment about how the SCV works, but was also thinking you should check it out as it does not give errors when failing.

As far as I remember there is also a small diesel filter/screen at the diesel pump. Someone else might be able to confirm this.

I hope you get your bakkie sorted
    2008 KB300 D-TEQ 4x2

Quote Originally Posted by Namakwalander View Post
    Cannot really comment about how the SCV works, but was also thinking you should check it out as it does not give errors when failing.

As far as I remember there is also a small diesel filter/screen at the diesel pump. Someone else might be able to confirm this.

I hope you get your bakkie sorted
    I know the old Isuzu's had the sieve by the fuel inlet to the pump e.g. 250D. If it got blocked you lost power due to fuel starvation
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Good Afternoon everyone

so just a quick update on my bakkie, after replacing the suction control valve, and still not getting any joy.
    We had to get the van towed, so that the injector pump can be assessed and repaired if necessary.
    The guys did a test on the engine to confirm the compression. Seems only 1 cylinder has compression.
    So they saying its engine failure.
    Anyone experience this with the Dteq?
    I didn't get any warning signs prior to this, the van didnt use an excessive amount of oil, also didn't smoke. Also heat gauge always stayed on half and never climbed.
    I do understand my bakkie has fair bit of mileage, but surely there would be some warning signs.

Thanks again to everyone for your input, will you keep you guys updated on our findings when engine can be stripped.

Did the timing chain snap?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast