Swaziland Transit to Kruger - Golela Border Post and Meat Restrictions

Default Swaziland Transit to Kruger - Golela Border Post and Meat Restrictions

We always travel via Swaziland to Kruger from Pinetown, and after 5 years of absence had the "privilege" of having to bribe an "official" (not confirmed as he is always in plain clothes) to take our frozen and vacuum sealed meat through Swazi en route to Kruger.

When we last entered via this gate in Dec 2016 - he was MIA.... much to our delight, despite having removed and hidden all meat from the freezer before we got to the border.

We are now going back to Kruger again, in Dec for 12 days over Christmas and New Year.

Has anyone travelled this route recently... and have they had any encounters with this "official"?? I would really like to take my own meat and bacon with but would hate confrontation!

Default Re: Swaziland Transit to Kruger - Golela Border Post and Meat Restrictions

Bump
    LC 105 EFI
    BL 1003 Boskriek

Default Re: Swaziland Transit to Kruger - Golela Border Post and Meat Restrictions

Just done that route again, we always hid our frozen meat and repack it at Nsele Safari lodge.
    We had a few yrs ago , we an official wanted to take our meat, after we took pics of him and asked for his name and rank he said we can proceed.
    BUT
    ​The road to Siteki, is no more driveable for a normal car, it's the road with the most potholes x far
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

Honest question: why drive through Swaziland when heading to Kruger from Dbn? The schlep of border posts is just not worth it.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Hi guys
    the Messers and I are heading to Kruger for our anniversary in 2 weeks time, was going to go through Swazi but if there's going to be issues then maybe I should just go around.
    Have only ever been there once, so I have limited knowledge.
    whats the time saving going via Swazi as opposed to going around.
    is meat an issue at the border as I want to take my weeks supply from here.

I have always travelled through eSwatini, however did the N3 to Ladysmith, Badplaas, Barberton, Whiteriver, Kruger on our last trip.
    What a long route and as for the continual climbing. Never again.
    Now I have to find a way to bye pass the potholed stretch from Big Bend to Siteki.
    Last edited by Gavin49 - (Ad Rem); 2018/10/07 at 08:23 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gavin49 - (Ad Rem) For This Useful Post:

Going through the border is no hassle, for meat, we always take it through.
    Like I said once before you had a "hungry" official, but he got nothing.
    Another big tip , when crossing , and the Swazi officials ask where are you going , tell them you are going on holiday to Hlane Royal Park, their pride and joy, and you are waved off immediately.

There is absolutely not one hill climb to do , if you take N2 , and go through Swaziland

Reason I go , is 485 km to Croc Bridge from Mtunzini , or over 700 km around the kingdom, so its a no brainer
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post: