Kyron Mysteries and cures

Smile Kyron Mysteries and cures

My Kyron has been behaving itself quite well of late, however when we went down to Durban in September, the engine warning light came on a couple of times, usually doing 130ish, but not necessarily under load. Stop, re-start and she would be fine until she decided to not be fine again.
    Not a major problem, just a nuisance to have to stop and restart when it happened.
    Got back and let my mate Paul at Rodac have a look(I work next door to him) and the diagnostics came up with Turbo Sensor Short. So I borrowed one from a friend who works on SSangyong, and the problem went away for a few days, then came back with a vengeance! Only now the diagnostics came up with short circuit No. 3 injector and a knock sensor "Learning fault"?
    Anyway, yesterday amid much trepidation, Paul removed the No. 3 injector( they have a habit and reputation for breaking off) tested it, and found nothing too out of the ordinary, but overhauled it, and refitted it, and hey presto, the fault seems to be gone. I'll give it a few more days and just make sure before I close the box on this one. Funnily the symptoms were VERY hard starting, with clouds of white smoke, which prompted us to first replace the glow plugs, so at least that is done too.
    One last thing, both my fog lamps have died, and for love nor money can I see how to change the bulbs. Any one got any ideas?
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.

Unhappy Re: Kyron Mysteries and cures

Well guess what? It's back, and this time it brought guests!
    Only now it's showing injector No. 2 faulty, along with:
    VGT operation fault
    Crank angle sensor malfunction
    Knock sensor (learning fault)?
    Booster pressure switch short
    So back to square one! Me thinks it might be a good time to find a new vehicle!
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.

Default Re: Kyron Mysteries and cures

Eish Mark, hope you get it sorted, loved my Korando to bits, sometimes turned the radio down and just listened to the magnificent sound of the 2.9L 5cyl motor, such a smooth auto box, just too many strange things to sort out - love your way of describing it!
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

Smile Re: Kyron Mysteries and cures

Thanks Johan, I'm sure we'll get there, it's just a bit of a nuisance!
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.

I think you have a faulty/dirty injector. If its dirty you can clean it, but if its faulty/shorted it needs to be replaced. Make sure you change the fuel filter as well. You can try this, disconnect the number 2 injector connector and start the car. check the error code ignore if it is number 2 injector. But erase the error codes first before rechecking. See if the other codes are still there

Smile Re: Kyron Mysteries and cures

Injectors checked, fault code hops to different injectors! Faulty wiring somewhere!
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.

Quote Originally Posted by Markb View Post
    Injectors checked, fault code hops to different injectors! Faulty wiring somewhere!
    Whats ther error code number? There are probably more than 1 injectors at fault/dirty. Try doing a leak back test.
    Last edited by gurangax; 2017/11/23 at 05:56 PM.

Thumbs down Re: Kyron Mysteries and cures

Leak back test done, all injectors done, turbo boost sensor done the problem is it is intermittent!
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.

Leak back test done, all injectors done, turbo boost sensor done the problem is it is intermittent!
    Check your turbo vacuum modulator

Thumbs up Re: Kyron Mysteries and cures

Hi and thanks, it was replaced about three years ago, but will check in the morning. Luckily I have a spare, the EGR one is not connected. Will check the relay too. Fuses are ok
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.

Exclamation Re: Kyron Mysteries and cures

Thanks to Gurangax, I have after three years finally sorted the problem! I googled the vacuum modulator, and in so doing got the wiring diagram for the modulator and its relationship with the main relay and the ECU. I checked the fuses, all fine, and had a quick squint at the relay, all seemed fine, but something said swap it out and see if the problem goes away.
    So I swapped it with the 4 way flasher relay(exactly the same unit) and thought lets see on the way home. I did not reset the fault codes, so I still had some performance issues, but most alarmingly, I now had indicators that did exactly as they pleased! The four way flasher would come on and go off at will, and when I tried to indicate, either left or right, the four way flashers came on! SO dud relay, giving mixed signals to the ECU, not supplying correct voltages to turbo sensors and injector controllers!
    I'm just waiting for my NEW relay to arrive and then I'll fit it and reset the fault codes, and with a bit of luck, this will be the end to my ongoing intermittent problems!
    To date I have: Replaced the glow plugs to alleviate the hard starting! Didn't work!
    Had ALL the injectors serviced, NO difference!
    Replaced the fuel filter( even though this was done less that 10k ago)
    Replaced Turbo Boost sensor, no difference
    And all this was done after diagnosis gave me on three occasions, and done by a reputable diesel place!
    1) P1235: VGT operation fault
    2) P0372: Crank angle sensor malfunction
    3) P1148: Accelerometer(knock sensor) Learning fault
    4) P0266: Injector #2 balancing fault------ This AFTER the injectors were serviced!
    5) P0269: Injector #3 balancing fault-------Different test, and this is what prompted me to get the injectors done!
    6) P0108: Boost pressure sensor short------This before and AFTER replacing the unit!
    I have constantly maintained that the fault was electrical/electronic, and the most recent fob off was oh, we are waiting for the wiring diagram for those units! It took me TWO minutes on Google!
    Anyway, lets hope that this is the last problems I am going to have, with what has otherwise been an enjoyable vehicle!
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.

Question Re: Kyron Mysteries and cures

Update!
    No more "hunting" great power and throttle response, and consumption is better! BUT I still have a starting problem. When it's cold, ie: first thing in the morning, it battles to start, requires three or four attempts, warming up the glow plugs, and then smokes quite a bit, but runs smooth, and for that rest of the day she starts fine.
    It has new glow plugs, the wiring and relay have been checked, relay working, power at plugs?
    It's almost like the Datsuns of the 70's with the ballasted coil, that would only catch as you stopped cranking, due to losing power to the coil whilst cranking? STRANGE!
    Last edited by Markb; 2017/12/14 at 03:37 PM.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.

Update!
    No more "hunting" great power and throttle response, and consumption is better! BUT I still have a starting problem. When it's cold, ie: first thing in the morning, it battles to start, requires three or four attempts, warming up the glow plugs, and then smokes quite a bit, but runs smooth, and for that rest of the day she starts fine.
    It has new glow plugs, the wiring and relay have been checked, relay working, power at plugs?
    It's almost like the Datsuns of the 70's with the ballasted coil, that would only catch as you stopped cranking, due to losing power to the coil whilst cranking? STRANGE!
    Sounds like injector problem to me. Few months ago have similar issue. Injector was clogged. Fixed it by cleaning properly. I have to disassemble the injector and clean them using ultrasonic cleaner and spraying it clean with carb cleaner. The parts are very sensitive to tiny debris that can cause intermitent power loss.

Buy easydiag scanner. It can log your engine variables such as fuel pressure. It needs to be at about 200 psi before the engine will start. If you have a leaking injector it could be why it is hard to start. Try injector back leak test to see if any injectors have problem

My Kyron has been behaving itself quite well of late, however when we went down to Durban in September, the engine warning light came on a couple of times, usually doing 130ish, but not necessarily under load. Stop, re-start and she would be fine until she decided to not be fine again.
    Not a major problem, just a nuisance to have to stop and restart when it happened.
    Got back and let my mate Paul at Rodac have a look(I work next door to him) and the diagnostics came up with Turbo Sensor Short. So I borrowed one from a friend who works on SSangyong, and the problem went away for a few days, then came back with a vengeance! Only now the diagnostics came up with short circuit No. 3 injector and a knock sensor "Learning fault"?
    Anyway, yesterday amid much trepidation, Paul removed the No. 3 injector( they have a habit and reputation for breaking off) tested it, and found nothing too out of the ordinary, but overhauled it, and refitted it, and hey presto, the fault seems to be gone. I'll give it a few more days and just make sure before I close the box on this one. Funnily the symptoms were VERY hard starting, with clouds of white smoke, which prompted us to first replace the glow plugs, so at least that is done too.
    One last thing, both my fog lamps have died, and for love nor money can I see how to change the bulbs. Any one got any ideas?

Hi markb

just reading your post and I have same issues with my kyron .
    would you be able to tell me what relay you actually changed
    please also where it was located. Thanks Ian

Hi, I assume from your nic and Holyhead you are in the UK! So you should be a rhd model.
    Left side of dahboard has a fuse box cover, it just clips out, but beware putting iy back, the lacating clips love to snap off!
    Under it you will see a black fuse box cover, which should have a diagram of the contents, it is the top LEFT relay for the ECU. You should be able to get one at any decent spares shop, I got my spare from a Bosch service centre. You might have to snip off the mounting tag that comes on some of the relays, but that is no problem.
    Just as an aside, what grade of Diesel are you using I used to run mine on 500ppm,as it was the cheapest and there was a garage just down from where I used to work that discounted it. When I left the job, I couldn't be bothered to drive 17 km just to save a few bob on diesel, so I shopped around and found a local filling station discounting 50ppm, and touch wood, its now five months and nearly 6k km and not a single hint of trouble
    Hope this helps!
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.

Hi mark.
    Yes I am in the uk . Born in London and now live on Anglesey north wales hence name. Thanks for your reply . Thought it was ecu relay you had changed and after checking out all the different types of relays ordered one today and hopefully it sorts out engine management issues. Thanks again Ian

Hi, and I hope it solves your problems. BTW, I don't like you!!!! You live in my favorite part of the world! I used to live in Abergavenny and Usk, and my brother in law lives in Cardiff.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.

Sorry, an afterthought! I also changed out my Turbo boost sensor on the manifold, as well as the Turbo boost activator on the side of the engine. They are not expensive items. Is your EGR blanked off? It is nothing but a bloody nuisance, and very easy to blank off.Also have your exhaust de-catted, makes a huge difference to the smooth running of the engine.
    The other very necessary mod is to chuck the viscous fan, which pulls a huge amount of power off the engine. I had a piece made up at a local radiator repair shop, that fits in my top rad hose and takes a Peogeot 87 deg thermo switch wired directly to the battery, and I run a Toyota Camry radiator fan and shroud and bearing in ind I live in a sometimes bloody hot part of the world, I have no overheating problems.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.