Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 208
  1. #161
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ovamboland
    Posts
    2,286
    Thanked: 1214

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    Was your pool full before the fire?
    Its the western cape. The water was probably the first thing Apoc tried to save before his dogs

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    just south of Mozambique border
    Age
    69
    Posts
    681
    Thanked: 219

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    Alex I feel you are proving to us all that you have a very strong character and we all know you did not want us to do a collection for you but could you consider a donation from the forum for a new coffee machine for your tin shack just for us to prove we do care about you. That will keep you away from Ricoffee
    Strongs Alex with all the hard work and planning lying ahead.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly AND FOR THE SAME REASON
    Save the rhino kill a poacher
    1973 Series IIA 109 (Jorrie)

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shemula For This Useful Post:


  4. #163
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Teen die Berg langs die See
    Age
    43
    Posts
    5,440
    Thanked: 298

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    So sorry to see this Alex! Good luck and strongs!!

  5. #164
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Delmas
    Age
    62
    Posts
    11,782
    Thanked: 1169

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    Apoc. Kan ek vir jiu n voorskoot maak? Jy kan my net sê wat moet geborduur word daarop....dan kan jy iets van blinkgatte in jou kombuis hê.

    Sjoe daai plek lyk onherstelbaar. Sterkte.
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    4x4 Isuzu NPS 300 met kamper
    Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

  6. #165
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,540
    Thanked: 2989

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Wrt this I chatted to our local fire dept guru. He said that materials have a combustion point ie at certain temps things burn. Wrt fires,if something gets hot enough and.it reaches combustion,it will set alight ie a chair in one corner of a room and fire in the opposite corner,the heat will "dry" the chair to a point of suddenly bursting into flames without a naked flame. Hence your house may burn and the third house burns but not the second house. Tiled houses set alight inside as well.

    Maybe someone more technically knowledgeable in this area can correct me and add more info.
    Pretty accurate, except the chair won't ''dry out'' instead, it heats up to the point of spontaneous combustion of the materials it's made of, then it lights off all by itself.

    If you look at MSDS sheets of chemicals, for example, you will find a "Spontaneous Combstion" temperature, and that is where the material will self ignite, regardless of the presence of a source of ignition.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

    Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:


  8. #166
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cape Town - RSA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,935
    Thanked: 472

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    May I make a suggestion.

    The forum has very kindly offered assistance to Alex in this difficult time, which he has stoically turned down.

    Can we perhaps redirect that good feeling and support for the Animal Welfare Shelter that I believe also took some strain and damage.

    Alex is after all clearly an animal lover. I have put in R500, I challenge you to match or do as you can.

    https://www.facebook.com/AnimalWelfareHelderberg/

    http://awshelderberg.co.za/donationsvolunteer/

    I leave it up to your imagination, as to what to make the bank reference. EG Apocalypse/MrGordonsBay/Beer4Life/MyJeepisBetterThanYourJeep
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

  9. #167
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    30
    Posts
    463
    Thanked: 16

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Wrt this I chatted to our local fire dept guru. He said that materials have a combustion point ie at certain temps things burn. Wrt fires,if something gets hot enough and.it reaches combustion,it will set alight ie a chair in one corner of a room and fire in the opposite corner,the heat will "dry" the chair to a point of suddenly bursting into flames without a naked flame. Hence your house may burn and the third house burns but not the second house. Tiled houses set alight inside as well.

    Maybe someone more technically knowledgeable in this area can correct me and add more info.
    This was also interesting from the Knysna Fires: https://gardenroutetrail.wordpress.c...rfect-inferno/

    In particular, the last bit on "Thermal Waves", I quote below:

    Thermal Wave:

    Add all the above conditions in with the strong wind blowing from the north west and you have the makings of the perfect fire and the creation of a phenomena known as a Thermal Wave. Referenced in literature and rarely seen, a thermal wave is a sine wave flow of super-heated air associated with a fire.

    Heat from the fire rises, while the wind blows it horizontally before it touches down and ignites a new fire and then again bounces off downwind. The wave length of this thermal wave can vary between 300m and 1000m allowing it to jump over valleys and rivers and resulting in the seemingly random effect of single houses exploding into flames while those around them are left unscathed.

    The mechanics of the thermal wave are interesting. The superheated air rises from the flames and moves laterally driven by the wind. As the air descends into the trough of the wave (of the sine wave form) the high temperature heats everything before it, be it trees or a structure, which then erupts into flame spontaneously before any flame reaches the area. When this wave descends on a structure like a house, it forces the roof down with immense pressure while the extreme heat melts glass and disintegrates bricks. The result is a collapsed pile of rubble.

    Eye witness accounts of this leading edge of the thermal wave describe it as a rolling ‘tumbleweed’ flying through the air at between 100km/h and 110km/h. One account even related how the fire overtook their car at 110km/h. The area beneath the peak of the thermal wave has been described by Knysna Fire Chief Clinton Manual as being beneath the ‘dome’, a smokeless zone of earie silence and no wind.
    - Kyle



    2007 Fortuner D-4D 4x4
    Maniac Bullbar and bash plate, Front Removable Hitch, LAS Snorkel, Aftermarket Radio,Reverse Camera,Custom Lighting, Dual Battery,LR Tank,Woofer,OME, 40mm front spacers, Come Up DV9 Winch

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Yubbz For This Useful Post:


  11. #168
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,181
    Thanked: 180

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    Apoc. Passing my deepest sorrow on your loss of your castle. It seems though that I have shared part of your life there from the Apron debacle many years ago... till those beautiful evening vistas from your deck. Strongs to you and your family.
    Edwin
    Defender '99 TD5 Pick Up
    Rock sliders, Spare wheel carrier, Roof Rack, Aluminium canopy, Tentco RTT, Tentco Awning, 280Ah Dual batteries, 3 x Sliding Drawers, Water tank, Hot Shower, Kitchen

  12. #169
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East London
    Age
    36
    Posts
    17,346
    Thanked: 2929

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    Man, that sucks big time.

    Glad you got out OK. Houses can be rebuilt but it will take some time be a home again.

    Best of luck and strength for the graft that lays ahead.

  13. #170
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Robertson/ Larissa, Greece
    Age
    57
    Posts
    6,103
    Thanked: 4948

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by witklipbank View Post
    blinkgatte in jou kombuis
    Getakseer op die eertydse foto was daar reeds iets soortgelyks!
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:


  15. #171
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,540
    Thanked: 2989

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    Alex, a question regarding your pool... I see it's almost empty, is that from the fire or was it pumped to fight the fire?
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

    Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

  16. #172
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tesselaarsdal (dis inni Kaap!)
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,388
    Thanked: 3636

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    Alex, SO glad to hear everyone (and the Power Wagon!) came through ok!!!

    This started off as a "Gordon's Bay on fire" thread and within 2 pages it became a "O S*** - Apoc's lost his house!!!" thread.

    Nine pages later and people are still reacting to your loss. That should give you an indication as to the kind of person members of this forum perceive you to be. Earthly asset and property can be replaced, but the kind of respect and affection shown here is irreplaceable.

    Strongs and thinking of you.
    Ettienne de Kock

    "ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith


    1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

  17. #173
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pinetown
    Age
    72
    Posts
    2,668
    Thanked: 2409

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    Apoc
    PLEASE let us contribute something no matter how small - no matter how financially secure you may be, there is always something you would need help with.
    Since we are so far away we cannot help physically but if each one gives a small amount toward something really needed it adds up quickly.
    Feel sooo bad for you.
    My sister in Fiji was wiped out TOTALLY by the hurrican there a couple of years back and has only NOW moved into a partially rebuilt home and my sister in law on St Maarten in the Netherlands Antilles in the Caribbean has suffered huge damage in the recent three hurricanes there - some of the biggest ever experienced.
    So we do know where you are right now.
    OK
    If it doesn't make you feel better, it will make us feel better ....
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:


  19. #174
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Montana Park
    Age
    39
    Posts
    356
    Thanked: 169

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    Sorry to hear about your loss Apoc. At least all you hold near and dear (including the Power Wagon) is safe and unharmed, which we are all thankful for.

    One thing this made me realise, is that should this happen to me, I would not even have enough time or know where to start collecting necessary documents. Need to make a mental note to ensure that all important documents are together and well within quick reach should this happen.
    Life's a journey..................even longer by foot

    2018 Ford Everest 3.2 XLT
    2006 Mazda Drifter X 2500 Td D/C (Ossie) - Sold
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3 Sportline (VERY plat kar) - Sold

  20. #175
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    66
    Posts
    502
    Thanked: 120

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    Alex this is very bad, but could have been much worse - you got to save the most important things - your family, animals and vehicles.

    Really a pity about the house and the sentimental things though.

    Do you think the outcome would have been the same if it had happened in the middle of the night with everybody in bed?
    Would you have had enough time to get everybody out?
    Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2009

    Know where you are going in life... you may already be there!

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Danie Malan For This Useful Post:


  22. #176
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    48
    Posts
    370
    Thanked: 124

  23. #177
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    48
    Posts
    370
    Thanked: 124

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	467034

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	467035

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	467036

    One of the business's to loose everything in the fire.

  24. #178
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,207
    Thanked: 2951

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Slowones View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	467034

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	467035

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	467036

    One of the business's to loose everything in the fire.
    Surely they should have adequate insurance? What business can be run without it?
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

    André Opperman

  25. #179
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    51
    Posts
    28,878
    Thanked: 4378

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricoffy View Post
    So, let me get this straight.

    Did you not think of using your fire pool?

    All the best mate. Hope you get all sorted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    Was your pool full before the fire?

    The fire dept spotted my pool after they'd got my place under control, and came charging in with water pumps to refill their tanks so they could move onto the next place that was going up!

    hats off to those guys, they were seriously sharp, I suppose one thing you don't think of is that those tenders only carry so much water and recharging them takes time - in a blaze like that one they are very 'mean' with water, if something will burn out they leave it to burn out to keep water in the tender.... clever!



    Quote Originally Posted by Ricoffy View Post
    Its the western cape. The water was probably the first thing Apoc tried to save before his dogs

    you laugh, we had the hosepipe out hoping to get some water on the roof, and I was wondering if this was allowed 🤣🤣🤣

    Quote Originally Posted by Yubbz View Post
    This was also interesting from the Knysna Fires: https://gardenroutetrail.wordpress.c...rfect-inferno/

    In particular, the last bit on "Thermal Waves", I quote below:

    Thermal Wave:

    Add all the above conditions in with the strong wind blowing from the north west and you have the makings of the perfect fire and the creation of a phenomena known as a Thermal Wave. Referenced in literature and rarely seen, a thermal wave is a sine wave flow of super-heated air associated with a fire.

    Heat from the fire rises, while the wind blows it horizontally before it touches down and ignites a new fire and then again bounces off downwind. The wave length of this thermal wave can vary between 300m and 1000m allowing it to jump over valleys and rivers and resulting in the seemingly random effect of single houses exploding into flames while those around them are left unscathed.

    The mechanics of the thermal wave are interesting. The superheated air rises from the flames and moves laterally driven by the wind. As the air descends into the trough of the wave (of the sine wave form) the high temperature heats everything before it, be it trees or a structure, which then erupts into flame spontaneously before any flame reaches the area. When this wave descends on a structure like a house, it forces the roof down with immense pressure while the extreme heat melts glass and disintegrates bricks. The result is a collapsed pile of rubble.

    Eye witness accounts of this leading edge of the thermal wave describe it as a rolling ‘tumbleweed’ flying through the air at between 100km/h and 110km/h. One account even related how the fire overtook their car at 110km/h. The area beneath the peak of the thermal wave has been described by Knysna Fire Chief Clinton Manual as being beneath the ‘dome’, a smokeless zone of earie silence and no wind.


    very interesting - this is exactly what happened.

    I'd decided to go down to AWS to grab a couple of dogs as we seemed to be safe. When I got there, there were so many people already, and I decided to head back up to the house as the wind had turned towards us....

    Got back, threw stuff and cats in the jeep (in the garage) Yoga girl went outside to put the dogs in the Defender, and called me, the house 2 houses away - across the road and higher up than us - was on fire, and the heat was incredible. we are still literally sunburnt on the face and arms from being there.

    10m up the road, 10m down the road it was a normal smoky breeze, with the usual ash and embers floating, but that little zone was like a furnace - everything in the zone was fully burnt out , no ash, no smoke, no embers, and it was directly on the house.

    We were still going to go inside for another load, but I told Yoga Girl it was time to leave. she left, Gina had left a few minutes before. There was still a bundle of stuff on the table that we'd put out, but it was too late....

    Up until that point I'd kind of been thinking we'd be back later, and were just being over cautious, but in that heat.... no way anything other than a solid concrete block was going to survive. didn't matter that it was thatch - the timbers go first. Most of the thatch is on the floor around the house, didn't actually burn right out, it's too dense - it only burns when it falls and air can get through it.

    by the time I got back in the jeep the body was hot to the touch and the internal temperature was at that high summer 'left in the sun unpleasant' level.

    I was going to run back in to grab the other stuff.... but brain kicked in and I decided I'd never get back out. Weirdly, as I left, the bloody alarm wouldn't go on and I was worried that there would be looters while we were away and was thinking of going back in to sort it out.... but I left.

    I think it probably ignited as I drove off. I was barely 3km away when the neighbor called to say it was on fire.

  26. #180
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cape Town, Durbanville
    Age
    47
    Posts
    794
    Thanked: 130

    Default Re: Gordons Bay on fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Apoc
    OK
    If it doesn't make you feel better, it will make us feel better ....
    A coffee bar or single malt wiskey will make Alex feel better...
    ---000O000---
    Disco 3 V8 HSE 2007
    Ford Ranger 3.0 TDci 2008
    SERIES III 109 1976 HC
    DEFENDER 110 TD5 2006 CSW - SOLD!
    ----
    ZS1JHZ @ 2M

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to serieslr For This Useful Post:


Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •