Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Re: Boat Purchase

Hey PPL

I am looking at buying a boat. Had a look at one today and the owner took me for a ride at Hazelmere. Everything is working, had safety equip etc. Boat also has buoyancy certificate and trailer is registered. This is the 1st time I am buying a boat so I need to know what the process is. Do boats get registered like cars (one of the links on the net said no so I just want to confirm). The other thing is the buoyancy expires end DEC,is it a big effort to renew? Any thing else I need to look at?

BTW I have a Cat R licence.

Thanks
    Shawn
    2006 Izuzu DMax D/cab (commuter)
    2006 Porsche Boxster 987 (toy)
    2004 Honda CBR600RR (toy)
    1991 Nissan Sani 2.4 (toy)
    Avalanche Mountain Bike (toy)

What kind of boat? hazlmere is far from home.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn5061 View Post
    Hey PPL

I am looking at buying a boat. Had a look at one today and the owner took me for a ride at Hazelmere. Everything is working, had safety equip etc. Boat also has buoyancy certificate and trailer is registered. This is the 1st time I am buying a boat so I need to know what the process is. Do boats get registered like cars (one of the links on the net said no so I just want to confirm). The other thing is the buoyancy expires end DEC,is it a big effort to renew? Any thing else I need to look at?

BTW I have a Cat R licence.

Thanks
    Trailer needs to be registered as per normal

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    What kind of boat? hazlmere is far from home.
    Its a bow rider.140hp.

I am from Durbs so I am here often.
    Shawn

As soon as the ownership changes the boat registration is no longer valid and the previous owner should remove his number.
    The new owner needs to change ownership of the trailer. This should be pretty straight forward. I took mine to a dekra roadworthy center and then went off to the vehicle licensing dept with the cor, paid some money and that was it.
    The boat will then need to get surveyed, and get a new cof. You usually need to get the fire extinguishers done and update any new requirements. Usually this is done at boat shops and you will probably get a temporary number.
    Canít recall all the details, it is a lot more involved getting a seagoing boat done as there are a lot more things that need to be done.
    You have also just reminded me to go and check all my license discs and my wifeís expires at the end of this month, so thanks for saving me some money.
    Last edited by stephenplumb; 2017/11/05 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    As soon as the ownership changes the boat registration is no longer valid and the previous owner should remove his number.
    The new owner needs to change ownership of the trailer. This should be pretty straight forward. I took mine to a dekra roadworthy center and then went off to the vehicle licensing dept with the cor, paid some money and that was it.
    The boat will then need to get surveyed, and get a new cof. You usually need to get the fire extinguishers done and update any new requirements. Usually this is done at boat shops and you will probably get a temporary number.
    Canít recall all the details, it is a lot more involved getting a seagoing boat done as there are a lot more things that need to be done.
    You have also just reminded me to go and check all my license discs and my wifeís expires at the end of this month, so thanks for saving me some money.

Cool thanks man
    Shawn

Just a small correction, buoyancy does not expire, that is a standing document from the manufacturers usually. Certificate of Fitness expires, but as said above it is not transferable from owner to owner, and as soon as you take ownership do you need to redo it. You will need the buoyancy certificate for this process, the trailer must be marked with your initials, surname and cell number etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Just a small correction, buoyancy does not expire, that is a standing document from the manufacturers usually. Certificate of Fitness expires, but as said above it is not transferable from owner to owner, and as soon as you take ownership do you need to redo it. You will need the buoyancy certificate for this process, the trailer must be marked with your initials, surname and cell number etc.
    I think this depends on the boat? For my rubber duck mine is valid for 2 years. I think you are right for inland boats.

I can only say that it is a lot more painful doing seagoing than recreational inland and estuary based boats. I did not even start on the vhf requirements which caught me out, when I thought I had dotted every i and crossed every t.

I am going down to dbn in a couple of weeks to go through the whole cof thing and it is a lot of prep.

My mate is a registered boat inspector in the Umhlanga area.I can ask questions if needed.

A Buoyancy certificate is only valid for three years. It then needs to be inspected and a new buoyancy cert issued. They need to check that water hs not leaked into the foam. At least this has been the case with my boat. There is an expiry date on the certificate - states that it is valid for three years.
    Last edited by Dez; 2017/11/05 at 07:58 PM.
    2021 Suzuki Jimny GLX AT (Kinetic Yellow)
    2017 Amarok V6 HiLine+
    2014 Amarok 4Motion Auto (Sold)
    1983 Suzuki SJ410V
    2019 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 Tekna CVT
    1985 Suzuki SJ413
    Fiat 500 1400MTA (Tweety)

Quote Originally Posted by Dez View Post
    A Buoyancy certificate is only valid for three years. It then needs to be inspected and a new buoyancy cert issued. They need to check that water hs not leaked into the foam. At least this has been the case with my boat. There is an expiry date on the certificate - states that it is valid for three years.
    Under correction, but I think this is only when there is not a manufacturer certificate available, and when the buoyancy was issued by an inspector. I have for example done two jetskis and a 5m duck, all from a standard manufacturers and for each we had a standard document. The jetskis are 1999 and 2004 models respectively, and you just contact any marine dealer and ask them to request a copy from the manufacturer.

But I think for boats without inbuild buoyance it may be different.

Edit, just checked mine, no expiry on it, see attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Dirk; 2017/11/05 at 08:21 PM.

According to our local chap you need to redo/check bouyancy every two years....

Apparantly a core sample is taken of the specific material used to ensure that it's still suitable. If it's good, no problems. If not - needs to be redone.

While I've been out of it for a while I suspect the first materials used may have had a limited lifespan?

Quote Originally Posted by Baasvark View Post
    According to our local chap you need to redo/check bouyancy every two years....

Apparantly a core sample is taken of the specific material used to ensure that it's still suitable. If it's good, no problems. If not - needs to be redone.

While I've been out of it for a while I suspect the first materials used may have had a limited lifespan?
    Your local chap is trying to shaft you.

Certificate valid for 5 years.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

I will certainly be finding out the correct info as I am having my jetski surveyed by SAMSA, probably this week still. Will report back.
    During all my COF inspections in the past did I just hand in the standard doc as attached above, which had no issue nor expiry date on, for a jetski older than 20 years.

I will certainly be finding out the correct info as I am having my jetski surveyed by SAMSA, probably this week still. Will report back.
    During all my COF inspections in the past did I just hand in the standard doc as attached above, which had no issue nor expiry date on, for a jetski older than 20 years.
    Despite what I said in my previous post which was based on my certificate, I am 99.9% convinced that legally buoyancy is valid for 7 years.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Many answers here, it mainly deals with if the craft is modified or in standard manufacturer form.

http://miasa.co.za/wp-content/upload...-8-of-2012.pdf

https://www.samsa.org.za/node/440
    https://www.samsa.org.za/sites/samsa...0buoyancy..pdf

http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic....469&forum_id=2

I had a cert that just expired and applied to Yamaha for a new inspection & cert this month December 2015. I supplied the weighbridge documents and was issued with a real detailed cert displaying pics, calculations and conformations.

In Bold is displayed that this cert will remain valid for the life of the vessel providing that the minimum weight does not increase by more than 25kg or that any alterations are not done to the vessel.
    http://www.headtohead.co.za/buoyancy-certificates

Many are valid for the life of the boat unless there has been damage to it. Look at the certificate to see that it hasnít expired prior to your inspection.

Many answers here, it mainly deals with if the craft is modified or in standard manufacturer form.

http://miasa.co.za/wp-content/upload...-8-of-2012.pdf
    The last sentence on page 14 of 49 says it all.

5 years then reinspect
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

I cant give any info on the specifics, but, what i have learnt lately is that a used boat is worth close to nothing. My dad struggled to get rid of our immaculate family boat a couple months back, and now with me living at harties I look every now and then at used boats and it amazes me every time at the low prices of very very nice boats.

What Im saying is, and its probably stating the obvious, but if this is the first boat you've looked at, maybe check out a couple more first, seems theres some great deals out there.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I cant give any info on the specifics, but, what i have learnt lately is that a used boat is worth close to nothing. My dad struggled to get rid of our immaculate family boat a couple months back, and now with me living at harties I look every now and then at used boats and it amazes me every time at the low prices of very very nice boats.

What Im saying is, and its probably stating the obvious, but if this is the first boat you've looked at, maybe check out a couple more first, seems theres some great deals out there.
    I think in the current economic climate people are selling their boats for what others are prepared to pay. Boats are expensive to run and maintain, and with all the safety kit and buoyancy, trailer licence, etc as well as the running costs and fuel, people are getting rid of their boats for less than what they are worth. Have also see a number of very nice boats lately but think swambo will kick me into orbit if I Even suggest it

Wonít disagree with this sentiment. I have found offshore to be significantly more dear than dam boats, but the kids are enjoying it and we can Potter from dbn out past Umhlamga and back on one fuel tank while the dam boat would supp through 80ltrs in a couple of hours of skiing so it is sort of worth the effort.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast