2011 VOLKSWAGEN AMAROK 2.0BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion 4x4

Default 2011 VOLKSWAGEN AMAROK 2.0BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion 4x4

Hi All.

Looking at purchasing a Second hand Amarok. What are your thoughts on the vehicle from experience and anything to look out for. Has 89000km and is R175 000

Thanks

Default Re: 2011 VOLKSWAGEN AMAROK 2.0BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion 4x4

Low milage for the year model. If one owner and properly serviced, the price is good. You will need to do the cambelt and pulleys. Budget for around 8k. Oh yes, and make sure it has got the updated cambelt cover on the bottom, as the 2011 models still have the old cover.

Groetnis
    Last edited by Beurvoort; 2017/11/03 at 03:38 PM.

If it is well looked after and in good condition, you should have many happy miles left in it. My 2011 is on 271 000 km and going strong. Price sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Beurvoort View Post
    Low milage for the year model. If one owner and properly serviced, the price is good. You will need to do the cambelt and pulleys. Budget for around 8k. Oh yes, and make sure it has got the updated cambelt cover on the bottom, as the 2011 models still have the old cover.

Groetnis

I have also been interested in these models. Was looking at a 2012 model but unfortunately single cab. I am looking at something to retire my U Jetta with. But I don't know anything much about the Amaroks yet.
    Last edited by Karoo Klong; 2017/11/03 at 04:38 PM.

Amarok is a very (very) solid bakkie. Mine has 72k km on now and not a single problem. Wait...I am lying. They broke a cover under the dash when replacing the pollen filter and now the flippen thing rattles on gravel. Will fix it this weekend.

And the sidesteps poprivit into the wheel arch. Mine came out now that flap also rattles.

But, it is the best in comfort, safety, electronica, etc. Really cannot go wrong.

But as usual, it is a diesel and the above applies if it was looked after.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Amarok is a very (very) solid bakkie. Mine has 72k km on now and not a single problem. Wait...I am lying. They broke a cover under the dash when replacing the pollen filter and now the flippen thing rattles on gravel. Will fix it this weekend.

And the sidesteps poprivit into the wheel arch. Mine came out now that flap also rattles.

But, it is the best in comfort, safety, electronica, etc. Really cannot go wrong.

But as usual, it is a diesel and the above applies if it was looked after.
    Thanks.
    As friend of mine bought one new but only kept it for a few months. I liked the comfort and how spacious it is. Almost as comfy as the Touareg.

Thanks Guys

Great car, enjoy it...
    TDI
    Boskriek 814
    Dries de Kock

Well Andrew........did you buy it ? Pics please
    Audi A6 Avant Quattro V6 tdi ( Sold )
    VW Touareg V6 tdi ( sadly written off )
    2 x Toyota Celica GT4 Gen 6 (Sold) sadly missed
    2 x Toyota Celica Gen. 5 ( Sold ) not missed as much as the above.

Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    Well Andrew........did you buy it ? Pics please
    Nope. Went for a test drive and the car was in a really bad shape. It stank, the clutch felt off and the diff light did not stop flashing. It was filthy inside. Dealership is letting their employees run around in it and they are ruining it.

Quote Originally Posted by Karoo Klong View Post
    I have also been interested in these models. Was looking at a 2012 model but unfortunately single cab. I am looking at something to retire my U Jetta with. But I don't know anything much about the Amaroks yet.
    I do not keep a close eye on 2nd hand Amaroks, but I suspect you will find better deals (value for money) by buying (another!) Touareg.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    I do not keep a close eye on 2nd hand Amaroks, but I suspect you will find better deals (value for money) by buying (another!) Touareg.
    I have considered it, but I need something with A load bin. Carting along a trailer everywhere isn't always a viable option. And would prefer something with 5seats. But as I say. Need something with a load bin.

I was also wondering if fuel consumption in the Amarok isn't a bit better, an then also the maintainance cost. Labour excluded since I prefer to keep my own hand in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Karoo Klong View Post
    I have considered it, but I need something with A load bin. Carting along a trailer everywhere isn't always a viable option. And would prefer something with 5seats. But as I say. Need something with a load bin.

I was also wondering if fuel consumption in the Amarok isn't a bit better, an then also the maintainance cost. Labour excluded since I prefer to keep my own hand in it.
    Sure, then only a bakkie will do.

Does consumption and parts/consumables really make a difference to total cost of ownership when you compare it to purchase price?
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    Sure, then only a bakkie will do.

Does consumption and parts/consumables really make a difference to total cost of ownership when you compare it to purchase price?
    Initially it probably won't, but I do alot of driving, 200+ kms/per day minimum and then 700+ weekends
    So it adds up fast and maintainance and cost is my main concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew fortuner View Post
    Nope. Went for a test drive and the car was in a really bad shape. It stank, the clutch felt off and the diff light did not stop flashing. It was filthy inside. Dealership is letting their employees run around in it and they are ruining it.
    For bad shape there's fixes available depending on what it is.

A vallet could fix the smell issue.
    The diff light is not a big problem, should only be the sensor in the diff that needs replacing. It was a common problem in the first models.
    Clutch could be an issue but it's a fixable one, might cost a few rands.

Bigger question is, why so cheap? Maybe some other problems as that price is waaay below even trade. I think resale for them is still at about R260k ish, guess trade should be R225 - R230k.

I drive exactly the bakkie describeb in the topic, except mine was registered late 2010 but a 2011 model as per VW.

I'm sitting with 190k km on the clock now and quickly moving towards 200....

I bought it with 153 000km on the clock. Problems I had thus far, Starter, egr valve mailfunction. nothing really else except a faulty relay which I can't find or a wiring issue. Not really a problem but just a bit irritation in winter.

Mine has the 3 leaf pack on the rear suspension, a good combination with the 255/55 R19s but when overlanding/touring and driving bad gravel loads you need a bit more spring under your rear to carry the load without hitting your bumps tops all the time. I do believe that the 5 pack with 19s will be a hard ride...

When you look at one, take a photo of the license disk and check the history at VW. Check for cambelt replacement and other big items on the 120k km service like brake fluid and engine coolant replacement. The cambelt should be every 120k km or 5 years.

If it's important to you, check that the towbar has a vw loom and that it's not installed afterwards, otherwise the trailor stability control won't work.

When you test drive try and find a piece of gravel or sypaadjie and see that the 4wd switches between all modes. do 2wd to 4wd while moving and 4wd to 4wd low when stationary. Difflock will only engage if you're in 4wd, and when activated will disengage stability control. So your little car with the tracks should start flashing when the difflock is engaged.

If it's got the 3leaf pack, check the bump stops, they'll be teared/broken if it was ever loaded heavily on bad roads... mine got a bit of damage after our nam trip.

If it's not got side steps on, then check for gravel rash on the bottom of the doors and the front of the rear fenders to get an idea of how much gravel was driven before...

All amaroks sold in sa should have engine protection underneath. Check for any marks or bumps on that and under the fuel tank.

Something to check for inside the engine bay. On the left side of the engine (the cars left) you'll see a smallish pipe running kind of over the oil filter housing. See if that pipe is oily. On the early models there's a bracket on the fuel lines that prohibit's you from removing the oil filter without taking off that bracket. What the guys that that service the vehicles is they rather loosen the EGR pipe and slightly bend that out of the way because it's quicker. That pipe is not made to be taken off all the time and it will either leak at the fitting where it connects to the intake manifold or it will crack and leak on the concertina part. Pipe cost you about R700 I think. I removed my bracket (and left it off) from the fuel lines as on the later models which then enables you to remove the oil filter without problem. It not a problem or reason not to buy the bakkie, just something to maybe push the price down with.

Also what you can check, on the right side down at the turbo on the pipe that goes to the intercooler, that fitting (pulsation damper) that fits on the turbo might be very oily. Don't be alarmed or scared, it's the seal in the fitting that's blowing past, mine does it and I will replace or fix the fitting. In my view a slight design error in the fitting itself, I have previously removed and checked it. I posted something on it somewhere... will send you more info it you need. a New pulsation damper is about R1000.

On the aircon. I believe there's a rather common problem on the pulleys on the ac compressor. The rubber coupling wears a bit, early on and you then have a rattle/vibration when the ac pump is not in operation. Lots of amaroks runs like this as many vw branches just say there's nothing wrong get used to the sound. fixing it yourself will cost about R1700. There's a thread somewhere on the forum about someone who did it. Still have to do mine, but honestly I'm permanently using the ac to some extent with the climate control so it's not critical or urgent.

If you do not check the history with VW, you can check on the right side at the drivers foot well, their should be a sticker on the side stating the date that the software update was done. Sticker could have been removed. You'll pick this up at VW, if it's not done then VW will still do. It was a update on the first amaroks, think 2011 and some 2012 models, not exactly sure.

Although I don't have yet, rocksliders on the amaroks are not a bad idea, the cab sits lowish in relation to you chassis so needs protection and helps protect you against gravel rash on the bottom of the doors etc when driving gravel roads. Side steps will help for gravel rash but will damage the cab with the first rock you push against them.

That's it for now. A lot of the stuff is not serious and a lot common sense... take from it what you want or need...

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WillemT For This Useful Post: