• Discovery 3

9 39.13%
  • Pathfinder

14 60.87%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Discovery 3 / Pathfinder

Hi all,

Out of interest...

Discovery 3s are getting cheaper and cheaper second hand. When I say cheaper, I mean sub R100k.
    Obviously I wouldn't consider a TDV6, but rather a 4.0 petrol or V8.

Pathfinders are also dropping since they too are more than 10 years old. I'm also looking at the V6 as you can find them very cheap if they had the radiator-oil cooler failure. Not sure about fuel consumption, but probably on par with the same engined Disco.

I've never got inside a D3, and I've only driven a Navara (with horrendous brake pedal travel and steering, but overall comfortable and capable offroad), but I would imagine the Pathfinder would be the same (a quick test drive would confirm that).

7 seater is a nice to have, hence these two vehicles in my radar.

In any case, as a daily driver, on a small budget (cash, no finance), I'm guessing that the Pathfinder wins hands down?
    No air compressor to pack up, less electronics, etc...
    I'm also aware that in my price range I will get something with some to probably lots of niggles. I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but what about spare parts prices and availability? I have no experience with Nissan whatsoever.

If you guys want to share your experience with each of the vehicles, or compare if you've owned both, that'd be great.
    Thanks!

current: 02 Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD swap, and a camping trailer
    previous: 97 Pajero LWB 3.5 V6, 99 Pathfinder R50 3.3 V6, 98 Defender 90 300 TDi bakkie

Default Re: Discovery 3 / Pathfinder

#no-brainer

But i'm biased...

Just read this, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Fab View Post
    I've never got inside a D3
    I think you need to get in one and go for a little drive.

Or, you can come for a spin in the 4, but then you'll want a 4. I can guarantee it. (or at least bet you pack of good craft beer )
    Last edited by douglash; 2017/11/03 at 10:39 AM.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

The Nissan may be a safer bet, but the Disco is just so much better offroad. Just do a check on the price of a Pathfinder v6 airflow meter. It will make your eyes water. Also speak to someone that owns a Pathfinder in terms of the way that the 4x4 settings work. There is some funny business that as soon as you engage low range then the traction control and diff lock disengages? In my book it is exactly in low range that you need these features...
    Defender powered by Isuzu

Thanks guys.

Douglash, the D4 is out of my league, it's just way too expensive for me, hence looking at cheap D3s, but I know they will cost in maintenance. But I tend to see this the same as financing a car (buy cheap and repair as it comes), although I can't get finance since I don't have a green ID.

Carlo, I hear you, but it's not like a compressor or control arm bushes or I don't know what else are cheap on the D3? Although I have a connection at Land Rover who can get me good prices
    Offroad wise, if it's on par with the Navara, it'll do what I need to do. But I know the D3 is on another planet

previous: 97 Pajero LWB 3.5 V6, 99 Pathfinder R50 3.3 V6, 98 Defender 90 300 TDi bakkie

IF, the big IF, you drive both back to back you WILL buy the 4.4L V8 Disco 3.

It is just that much better.
    The Disco 3's in your price range will likely have had compressor and bushes done.

The fuel consumption in the V8 is a tough pill to swallow at 1st but after a few months of no repairs required the fuel is quite affordable.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Disco-Deon For This Useful Post:

Damn it, you're not helping!

Pathfinder is by far the superior of the 2 in just about everything from price, maintenance and ride quality. The Landy beats it offroad though. Pathy does not have difflock but has diff braking on the rear that lacks a bit offroad.
    There's only 3 reasons to stand up : to get the remote , to go to the bathroom or because you're the Real Slim Shady.

2002 Patrol 4.5 GRX
    2001 Terrano 2 TD27
    2012 1600 Pypkar Rum mobile

Quote Originally Posted by nisjeep View Post
    Pathfinder is by far the superior of the 2 in just about everything from price, maintenance and ride quality. The Landy beats it offroad though. Pathy does not have difflock but has diff braking on the rear that lacks a bit offroad.
    Ride quality? Is this an assumption or based on actual experience between the 2?
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nisjeep View Post
    Must be the best joke I have heard in years, Pathfinder superior to Disco.LMAO
    2009 Triton V6 3500 DC
    2007 Disco 3 V8 SE
    1999 Pajero V6 3500 Sold

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to theunsb For This Useful Post:

I donít have current land rover experience. My last one was a d2td5. I would say that the aftermarket support for land rovers was always very good. At the time I got rid of the td5 disco3s did not have much aftermarket support and most things had to be bought from agents = big dollars. I recall buying a petrol cap from landy parts for r25 vs 285 from land rover.
    My disco tdi I would say had similar running costs to a corolla as spares.
    I am not sure what the current after market support for later model discos is like now? If it is good, and you are looking at a v8 then probably you spares costs will not be too high.
    Nissan has a reputation for expensive spares. I have never had one so I canít comment with any sort of experience, but the reputation must come from somewhere.
    I believe if your off-roading consists mostly beach and sand then the pathfinder is probably the better bet, but it does have limitations on more serious off road when compared with the disco. I believe the Nissan would probably be more reliable over the long term than the Land Rover, but probably not as comfortable.
    I recall that there were also issues with the clutches of manual pathfinders. Not sure if there was a fix for this, or if it was not really a big issue.
    Good luck with your choice.

Thank you all for your comments.

Guys sanity must prevail. I have not owned one of these vehicles, BUT if you approach the comparison with logic, I am afraid the Pathfinder has to come out tops.
    My forum reads lead me to belief that for very small repairs the body of the D3 must come off - eg. to replace the alternator? or not? to replace discs and brake pads R12000? I think not.
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johan Engelbrecht For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Engelbrecht View Post
    Guys sanity must prevail. I have not owned one of these vehicles, BUT if you approach the comparison with logic, I am afraid the Pathfinder has to come out tops.
    My forum reads lead me to belief that for very small repairs the body of the D3 must come off - eg. to replace the alternator? or not? to replace discs and brake pads R12000? I think not.
    If you buy the V8 the only reason the body should ever come of is if it needs an engine replacement. Alternator can be done with body one. There is no cambelt (but the body doesnt need to come of for that either on the Tdv6)

If you're not scared to get down and dirty the discos aren't that bad in maintenance. The guys like dover and lp4a stock parts for them at way way better prices than the agents. Discs an pads may be 12k at the dealer but not at LP4a and Dover. And they are really easy to fit. A saturday afternoon at most. Original discs from LP4a was (end of last year) R1600 for the front and R1350 for the rear. Aftermarket discs R980 front R750 at the rear (per set)

Like it has been said. Vehicles in your budget will most probably have the amk compressor allready fitted which gives very little trouble. Control arm bushes is really not an expensive fix. Its when you replace the whole arm that it gets expensive

I'd take the disco 3 at any time over a pathfinder. But im probably biased as well

Go for a drive in a Disco it WILL sell itself to you.
    2005 Land Rover Discovery 3 V8 (Will allways end up with an V8)
    1967 Land Rover Series 2A 3.5 V8 (The Green Machine)
    196? Land Rover Series 2 V8 100" (The Coiler)
    2007 Subaru Forester XT 2.5T (The Daily)

Ex.
    1996 Land Rover Discovery 1 Tdi
    1997 Land Rover Discovery 1 V8
    2001 Land Rover Discovery 2 V8
    2006 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
    2007 Land Rover Freelander 2 TD4

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeandreDiedericks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Engelbrecht View Post
    I agree "sanity must prevail" you need to check your sources.
    Rather comment on things you KNOW about - You see I do not comment on the Pathfinder, yes I read forums but heresay tells me nothing...

Just a thought - use it, don't use it...
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Disco-Deon For This Useful Post:

Default Discovery 3 / Pathfinder

The fact that we own 2 Pathfinders, and a D3 TDV6 probably allows me to share some insights with you. As far as ride quality and off road capability goes...no comparison.....the Disco any day....the Pathys are fair off road, but not any match for the Disco.....we donít do trails, so this has never bothered us.....and the Nissan felt just as good going up Sani....which is the sort of off roading that we do. The V6 is thirsty, and the diesel a bit lazy, and Nissan charges some ludicrous prices for spares....Google is your friend.....somebody mentioned the V6 throttle body, which can be had for the princely sum of 28k from Nissan, or airfreighted from the USA for $438.00!!!

The Disco has cost us a fortune, and has been standing at an Indy for the last 2years while we argue about an ECUunit he blew while doing a body-off turbo replacement.

I really love my Disco, but cannot look past the facts......and being a 2006, I am hoping that when I get it back one day, it doesnít do the D3 party trick.

Incidentally the diesel Pathy has 320k on the odo, has had the head, injectors turbo internals replaced. The V6 has 170k.....however it did snap a timing chain,necessitating a R76k engine rebuild....just saying.
    Last edited by Markus and Zelda; 2017/11/05 at 11:56 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Markus and Zelda For This Useful Post:

I owned a Pathfinder and did all maintenance myself. Including timing chain replacement. Which is probably the biggest job on it.
    I have driven a D3. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Besides the idea that the body has to come off to replace a fuse... And it locked itself with keys inside for no reason.
    There's only 3 reasons to stand up : to get the remote , to go to the bathroom or because you're the Real Slim Shady.

2002 Patrol 4.5 GRX
    2001 Terrano 2 TD27
    2012 1600 Pypkar Rum mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Markus and Zelda View Post
    has been standing at an Indy for the last 2years while we argue about an ECUunit he blew while doing a body-off turbo replacement.
    Now this really bothers me.
    It would seem an Indie not to good at what he does.
    I replaced a turbo in my back yard with pretty basic tools - removing the turbo 2 hours, putting it back probably 4 hours, those 3 horrible bolts. 1st I've heard anyone body off for the turbo.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,

Quote Originally Posted by Disco-Deon View Post
    Now this really bothers me.
    It would seem an Indie not to good at what he does.
    I replaced a turbo in my back yard with pretty basic tools - removing the turbo 2 hours, putting it back probably 4 hours, those 3 horrible bolts. 1st I've heard anyone body off for the turbo.
    Yup defintely no need to take the body off. The engine can be removed WITHOUT taking the body off. Turbo can be replaced WITHOUT taking the body off. The gearbox can be removed WITHOUT taking the body off. So i really don't understand why everybody has an issue because the body has to come off, everything on the disco 3 can be removed and replaced without taking the body off.
    2005 Land Rover Discovery 3 V8 (Will allways end up with an V8)
    1967 Land Rover Series 2A 3.5 V8 (The Green Machine)
    196? Land Rover Series 2 V8 100" (The Coiler)
    2007 Subaru Forester XT 2.5T (The Daily)

Ex.
    1996 Land Rover Discovery 1 Tdi
    1997 Land Rover Discovery 1 V8
    2001 Land Rover Discovery 2 V8
    2006 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
    2007 Land Rover Freelander 2 TD4

Thanks again guys, all comments are very much appreciated.

I can (and like to?) get my hands dirty, and like I said in the original post, I am aware that these kind of vehicles at the prices I'm looking at will require maintenance.
    The wife told me not to get myself into another "project", so it'll all be a matter of finding the happy medium of cheap but not in need of too much TLC. In other words maintenance is OK, stuff to fix, not so much.
    So at the time I'll eventually be ready, I might just choose whatever comes across first.

My heart tells me Disco 3, although I surely like the Pathfinder, but would need to go for a test drive first (to have a feel for the brakes and steering as per my first post). I also like the Pajero, although less tech-filled (could be a good thing too ).
    I know if I get insinde a D3, I'll never want to come out of it, so I'll keep it for last LP4A and my uncle Rob will make sourcing of spares at a cheaper price easier. Definitely a more viable option than paying R28k (!!!) for a throttle body or importing...

Anyways, it's food for thoughts at the moment. I need to sort out my Jeep first and see what I want to do with it next.

Keep the comments coming if you guys have more.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JeandreDiedericks View Post
    Yup defintely no need to take the body off. The engine can be removed WITHOUT taking the body off. Turbo can be replaced WITHOUT taking the body off. The gearbox can be removed WITHOUT taking the body off. So i really don't understand why everybody has an issue because the body has to come off, everything on the disco 3 can be removed and replaced without taking the body off.
    And as far as I understand, because it was engineered to be removed, it's not such a big job anyways. I can get to a two-post lift... So this doesn't put me off at all. It's just bolts and nuts after all

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast