23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Discovery 3

9 39.13%
  • Pathfinder

14 60.87%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Discovery 3 / Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by Markus and Zelda View Post
    Hi Guys, thanks for the info....not going to name and shame, but probably one of the most reputable indie’s in Durban......so when I was told the body had to come off, I took his word for it.
    Maybe you should get hold of Mike Grant in PMB. It doesn't sound like your guy will ever really come clean...

current: 02 Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD swap, and a camping trailer
    previous: 97 Pajero LWB 3.5 V6, 99 Pathfinder R50 3.3 V6, 98 Defender 90 300 TDi bakkie

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Forest Fab For This Useful Post:

I got the V9X Pathfinder a week ago.... and must say we are really impressed. did n quick trip to Harrismith and back 180km, 120km/h cruise control with aircon and a roof rack and managed 11km/l

There are is ample amounts of power and all the bells and whistles that you would need.

only problem is i need to get used to this keyless entry system,
    2012 JK Rubicon (PANDA) ..... because jeep......
    2011 V9X Pathfinder...... because Baby to be onboard

EX 2009 Jimny , tricked to the teeh....

I'd take a V9X above any of the rest, but sadly way out of my budget...

Enjoy yours

previous: 97 Pajero LWB 3.5 V6, 99 Pathfinder R50 3.3 V6, 98 Defender 90 300 TDi bakkie

Not advice as to what you should get, but more of an advisory.

All LR's, as well as other brands have a cost of ownership.
    All the "pro brand" guys will give the pro's of theirs and the cons of others.

Test drive them all.

Then see what you can afford and maintain, and buy it.
    Discovery 3 TDV6 S G4 No 29 - Mine
    Discovery 4 TDV6 SE - SWAMBO's

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rabbiddog For This Useful Post:

I'm digging this up, as I've been thinking about it more... And I didn't reach a conclusion, I'm actually more confused than when I started!

Disco 3
    I think the hard truth is that I will not be financially able to own one. It must be my daily runner but I will obviously not touch a TDV6. But I really like Landies, it actually makes me sad.
    I briefly looked at Disco 2s, but to find the right one will take some time.

Pathfinder
    I've been looking at some videos, and although I don't draw conclusions yet, it didn't impress me in terms of off road performance. This is not my main point of contention, but it should be able to go where I want it to go, even if it's once every blue moon.
    I will try to organise a test drive though to make my own mind.
    The service in SA is also a bit scary, although some third party suppliers are around. I'm still in two minds about this one.

So what am I left with?
    Grand Cherokee: might be a bit small and spares through Merc are always expensive.
    Pajero: I really struggle with the looks of the Gen3, I can't afford a Gen4, and the Gen2 isn't a real 7 seater, and it'd have to be the 3.5 petrol, or else some sort of conversion (as per another old thread of mine here). Not ideal and will probably not be approved by the wife...
    Pajero Sport: I like, but over budget.
    T3 Kombi: I love these (Syncro) but old school and spares are scarce. And the wife said NO!

So at this points it's more Pathfinder or Disco 2 or Gen2 Pajero with major mods. So more Pathfinder or Disco 2. Ok so more Pathfinder in fact

Any suggestions?

edit: I re-read the previous messages. Let's say that I won't scratch the D3 out just yet. The right one will come my way
    Last edited by Forest Fab; 2017/12/28 at 10:23 AM.

At the age that a D3 is now, I'd really hesitate.

- air bag issues
    - diff failures
    - control arm bushes
    - gearbox and torque converter issues
    - EPB issues

So I think your choice is correct.

I think you mentioned your budget was R100k?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Sub 100.
    Depending on what I manage to do with my Jeep, R80k would be a more reasonable price, without putting everything in the pot.
    I see Commanders around this price every now and again.

But yeah, any of these Jeep WK or XK, Disco 3 at this price will require expensive maintenance.
    It's weird how the Pathfinder gives an image of a less techy vehicle. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Fab View Post
    I'm digging this up, as I've been thinking about it more... And I didn't reach a conclusion, I'm actually more confused than when I started!

Disco 3
    I think the hard truth is that I will not be financially able to own one. It must be my daily runner but I will obviously not touch a TDV6. But I really like Landies, it actually makes me sad.
    I briefly looked at Disco 2s, but to find the right one will take some time.

Pathfinder
    I've been looking at some videos, and although I don't draw conclusions yet, it didn't impress me in terms of off road performance. This is not my main point of contention, but it should be able to go where I want it to go, even if it's once every blue moon.
    I will try to organise a test drive though to make my own mind.
    The service in SA is also a bit scary, although some third party suppliers are around. I'm still in two minds about this one.

So what am I left with?
    Grand Cherokee: might be a bit small and spares through Merc are always expensive.
    Pajero: I really struggle with the looks of the Gen3, I can't afford a Gen4, and the Gen2 isn't a real 7 seater, and it'd have to be the 3.5 petrol, or else some sort of conversion (as per another old thread of mine here). Not ideal and will probably not be approved by the wife...
    Pajero Sport: I like, but over budget.
    T3 Kombi: I love these (Syncro) but old school and spares are scarce. And the wife said NO!

So at this points it's more Pathfinder or Disco 2 or Gen2 Pajero with major mods. So more Pathfinder or Disco 2. Ok so more Pathfinder in fact

Any suggestions?

edit: I re-read the previous messages. Let's say that I won't scratch the D3 out just yet. The right one will come my way
    I might be biased but why not have a look at a Trailblzer? With Chev leaving you can pick up great bargains now. That is off course if you are planning to keep the vehicle for a long time.
    2014 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 Auto 4x4
    2015 Jurgens XT140 Ext... maar ek soek 'n Bush Lapa
    Who needs a diff lock if you have 500Nm's

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Fab View Post
    It's weird how the Pathfinder gives an image of a less techy vehicle. Am I wrong?
    I don't think the techy parts on the D3 is too much of a concern.

With a budget of sub R100k, you would be absolutely mad to consider a vehicle like a D3, the running cost will kill you.

I think you need to relook at the Pajero's, you definitely will get one in your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I don't think the techy parts on the D3 is too much of a concern.

With a budget of sub R100k, you would be absolutely mad to consider a vehicle like a D3, the running cost will kill you.

I think you need to relook at the Pajero's, you definitely will get one in your budget.
    No brand-bashing. Lol.

If you are on a budget, no LR is for you.

You will quickly be on no budget
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

PersonAlly I think on a sub 100k budget a pipecar is more the sort of thing you need to look at- or a city golf.
    You are looking at vehicles with a new price of 1m ish ronts.
    Even standard maintenance will be expensive, let alone major parts failures. 70-100k is not that unusual for a out of maintenance plan vehicle in that class for a year. Loose an injector, do a cam belt service, replace discs and pads, perhaps a few suspension bushes or arms and you could easily get into those sorts of numbers.
    Given the budget you have, I think you need to be shooting for a more practical vehicle that you will be able to afford to run.

Ok, I hear the voice of reason in your guys' comments.
    But let me ask you this way: what IS going to break? Obviously I don't expect a crystal ball reading, but what are the common failures then. On any vehicle, not just the D3.

I absolutely understand that most of the vehicles I cited were luxury vehicles, but then what happens to them past 200.000km? Who drives them??

Remember that anything that breaks, I'll fix, or replace myself. Hence the only real financial concern being price of spares.
    Then being left stranded on the side of the road is another concern for myself or my family when I'm away.
    Last edited by Forest Fab; 2017/12/28 at 08:48 PM. Reason: stupid auto correct

Any wear parts like Suspension bushings, fan belts, brake discs, shocks, engine mountings, Gearbox mountings, etc etc etc.... not an exhaustive list but you get the drift.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

I would start with something like this:
    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...00910043131509

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    Any wear parts like Suspension bushings, fan belts, brake discs, shocks, engine mountings, Gearbox mountings, etc etc etc.... not an exhaustive list but you get the drift.
    Thank you, this is my view as well: maintenance items. So what will make the difference between a D3 and Pathfinder or whatever else is the price and availability of these spares.
    Then I must consider the big ticket items. Major failure, smoke coming out from under the bonnet sort of thing. And here I believe that whatever you drive (even a R70k city Golf ) It WILL cost big bucks and be a major pain in the rear. Where's the difference then? (honestly asking)

I would start with something like this:
    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...00910043131509
    Thanks Dirk, but I think I need to give you a better picture of myself
    I will never spend that kind of money, especially on a 15 year old Pajero.
    These to me are worth R80k max, and I'd rather take one in a less pristine condition, that is cheaper.

My 98 Defender: bought it for about R70k back in 2010, spent very little on maintenance (brake vacuum pump and clutch master cylinder), sold it for R77k a year and a half later.
    My R50 Pathfinder in Canada I bought for $2200, I had to do front struts and fuel tank, sold it to the same guy I bought it from for $1900, I lost about $400 overall.
    My 97 Pajero: bad example as it was a real lemon, but it taught me about school fees. Bought it for R35k non runner, got it running and picked up on a long list of issues. Ran bearings, blew head gasket, etc... Cost me R90k total, sold it (got rid of it) for R45k...
    My 02 Cherokee: bought it for R24k with a sheared dual mass flywheel. Fixed that, services injectors and got it running for around R50k total.
    So you can see that I'd rather buy cheap and fix than outlay a large amount of money (and eventually fix anyways )
    As I mentioned early in this thread, I see this as some sort of financing the vehicle, since I don't have access to it (being a foreigner).

But again, you guys are mostly right. These more recent luxury cars will be costly regardless. So Disco 2, Gen 2 Pajero I shall look at. I don't need an expensive car to feel like I've achieved something, all I need is something to fulfill my requirements.

Thanks 👍

OK, I hear that, was just one example I pulled out with sub R200k on the clock. You will definitely find better options with a bit of searching.

Personally I am a big fan of the Pajero, and also the Discovery 2, but only because I had one of each, and loved them both.

From what you describing, also include a D2 in your search, I still see many driving around in pristine condition.

PS: I forgot to mention that the second hand car market in South Africa is a total rip off. I bought cars for a few hundred euros that took me from A to B. Here you can't get anything decent for less than a 100k... And this perception was confirmed in some posts here (the 70k City Golf )

OK, I hear that, was just one example I pulled out with sub R200k on the clock. You will definitely find better options with a bit of searching.

Personally I am a big fan of the Pajero, and also the Discovery 2, but only because I had one of each, and loved them both.

From what you describing, also include a D2 in your search, I still see many driving around in pristine condition.
    D2 definitely on my list!
    Thanks

Price maybe a tad high, but again just an example.
    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...00910004409109

Price maybe a tad high, but again just an example.
    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...00910004409109
    Yes, too high, but very nice specimen. I'd smaark that!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast